Elf fans. Do you still want High Elves?

its also why fel elves in sunwell are so deep red. they have overdosed on fel.

3 Likes

I think part of the issue is that Velfs aren’t interesting enough on their own so some aren’t super happy about them. We need more lore to help them have a story going because right now it’s just “They were Blood Elves that went to the dark side” and that’s it. If we happen to get a Void x Light expansion or arc, they need to be in the forefront.

Also, I’m still on the “Both are High Elves” because they are. Void Elves are High Elves, they just really aren’t that great because they didn’t put work into them yet and even the CC feels like a discount Belf and they can’t be Paladins which really sucks.

Tldr; They aren’t interesting on their own and needs more lore. Expand their CC. Velfs and Belfs are High Elves.

It is a retcon.

The Green Eyes and Reddened Skin are due to Fel Magic which was all around them. Blood Elves racial also had them eat the magic around them. That was changed later on.

Then we see what happens to the Blood Elves that ate too much Fel. They started having huge mutations and insanity just like Fel Orcs.

The whole reason they needed to find a new source of magic to feed upon was because their Faction Leader was disturbed by what the Fel was doing to the Blood Elves and wanting to fix the Withered problem that was growing very quickly.

2 Likes

No, its not.

The blood elves in Outland were consuming Fel. The ones on Azeroth were not. The playable Blood Elves never consumed Fel as a people. (Though some individual members may have.)

I’ve looked around and as far as I can tell this again is a player assumption that has no backing that I can find.

Per the Devs its always been an effect of just being near the fel crystals and not specific to consuming Fel.

Was never canon, even by the time the RPG book was released it had already been de-canonized because it had veered too far from WoW’s actual lore, per the devs.

7 Likes

Not sure on the source, but a Citation I found
How did the blood elven fel eye glint become so widespread? The Warcraft Encyclopedia suggests that Rommath only taught the blood elves of Azeroth about how to siphon arcane magic, as most of the populace would likely be “horrified” if they knew the true extent of Kael’s dealings with Illidan.
The situation regarding blood elf eyes is, in fact, extremely similar to that of the green skin of orcs: just being around heavy use of fel magic turned the eyes of the blood elves green. You could be the most pious of priests or most outdoorsy of Farstriders, chances are, if you were a high elf in Quel’Thalas or Outland following the Third War, you were around fel energies, and your eyes would turn green. Like the orcs’ skin color, such an effect would take a very long time to wear off. Fel magic works a bit like radiation in this sense; it permeates the area and seeps into anything in the vicinity. Anything near a source of fel magic shows signs of slight corruption, it just so happens that high elves and orcs manifest it in a very visual way.”

5 Likes

Its from the Cdev2 I believe.

3 Likes

High Elves literally don’t have red skin or green eyes.

Blood Elves only got it by being near Fel Magic and passively absorbing it as food to stablize themselves.

You must not have played during tbc.

3 Likes

I like my Night Elf, but as an elf race I sure would like to see some playable Ogres being implemented in game.

Blood elves dont have “red skin” either and the eye glow can be a whole range of colour’s, since it really just reflects the magic they are exposed too.

Im sorry for shattering your headcannon.

6 Likes

Yes they do. I can see that you just weren’t around during TBC when they had much more limited options and that nearly all of them had green eyes and reddened skins while all High Elves were blue eyed and pale.

3 Likes

Well its a good thing we aren’t restricted by the TBC limitations anymore then.

Blood elves were always meant to be WoWs version of playable High Elves.

4 Likes

It’s a shame that people don’t get this…or perhaps more accurately…I would say that they refuse to comprehend and accept it.

The high elven fantasy was already used in enough roleplay concepts. The entire idea of introducing blood elves in Warcraft 3 was to put Blizzard’s unique spin on the idea of high elves and rewrite it. It wasn’t just a random thought they had or that they just happen to forget the mentions of high elven druids of quel’thalas and users of nature magic (which they later canned). They wanted something specifically of blizzard flavour and it was a great creation.

The darker storytelling of a genocide upon them, fighting for survival, addiction, becoming harder and more determined, and yes the existence of pockets of rebels that refused the name of Blood elf and kept the name High elf…all this is part of the blood elf story…not separate to it :teacher:

Sorry but no they did not…. Lore-wise the majority of blood elves never even touched Fel magic. The only ones that consumed it were in Outland under Kael’thas and became demonic. The green eyes was a side-effect of the energy emanating from fel powered structures. High elves are like sponges in regards to magical energy.

With time (and as already shown in the game) the side-effect would go away. The longer you’re exposed to fel energy, the longer the effect.

Blood elves also don’t all have reddish skin. That’s a common misconception. Their skin tones are in a range of colors. Again, only those that consumed fel energy would develop that.

High elves and blood elves are biologically and genetically the same thing. They aren’t different races or subrace, they are simply a different political and ideological group of the same race. The high elves seen with the alliance are mostly there contesting the actions of the blood elves, their primary purpose has always been rebellion.

No, as shocking as this may sound, the idea of white skin, blonde hair, and blue eyes, is not a specific alliance high elven thing.

:v:

6 Likes

its a matter of extremes. originally, there were gigantic fel crystals right in silvermoon. the blood elves absorbed fel radiation from them, passively. versus the fel elves who consumed the fel crystals directly.

5 Likes

The myth about blood elves having any skin tone difference between them and “high” elves only exists in a non-canon table top rpg and people’s headcanon.

The only skin changes for blood elves happened for the Felblood who were distinctly not from the population of playable blood elves and, technically, the void elves.

9 Likes

I would say that the greater issue, from both sides, is the continued approach of looking to the BE/HE issue as an either or, as if the existence of one negates the other.

That is just… not the case. Indeed Blood Elves were introduced as a revamp of their generic elf concept, and that was great, but we cannot pretend that Blizzard actually did away with the “High Elves” as they were.

Which has been one of the major cruxes of the whole discussion. Ultimately Blizzard could have just phase out the remaining High Elves through WoW; instead, they kept featuring them on the story, contrasting them to the Blood Elves, thus creating a new dynamic beyond their “generic elf” origin, as exiles living among old allies, trying to hold on to a culture and ideology that barely exists anymore.

It’s the very creation of the Blood Elves what made the remaining High Elves their own thing, with their own potential in WoW separate from the the conventions of fantasy. To pretend such potential isn’t compelling to a great deal of people, not just because HE’s are the generic flavor of elf in Warcraft, but because how the series itself has managed to frame them under their own unique context, just keeps missing why some people keep wishing for more to be done with High Elves.

I think we’re well past the point of rehashing the same “oh High Elves bring nothing new” points. Their struggle as expats facing assimilation in a non elven culture contrasted to the possibility of returning home and yet having to abandon what they held on to for over two decades, plus the possibility to finding a new path with the support of other elven exiles, is well beyond what the “generic fantasy elf” trope they were born off.

And I think it’s frustrating that we still have to make the case that both Blood Elves and High Elves can coexist in the narrative as different paths of the once unified Thalassian people. To excise the fact that dissent existed to the point of creating a new split group just simplifies the setting and just removes complexity from the rich thalassian history as a whole. To wish that to be treated as just a footnote of the BE’s instead of allowing it to be its own thing is just the very same impulse to downplay and dismiss it.

(Oh, and TBH I don’t think HE’s need to be an Allied Race, not at this point really. But I do think it’s as necessary as always to do something with their narrative considering they keep showing up as both Alliance counterparts to BE, and even on their own capacity. Preferably involving the VE because we all know the both need more lore, AND people)

5 Likes

Do you mean like a slight tan? Or just not completely pallid?

7 Likes

No, they weren’t.

They are the Blood Elves from WC3.

The High Elves from WC3 never left the Alliance and are still a major power in the Alliance

3 Likes

Yes, yes they are.

Are the blood elves from WC3 and in WoW.
Really just seems like you are arguing just for the sake of it now.

4 Likes

Void Elves: blue, reddish, tanned, pale

Blood Elves: reddish, tanned, pale

High Elves: pale

3 Likes

Wrong, Panda.

The High Elves never left the Alliance after WC3.

You seem confused. Not all High Elves became the traitorous Blood Elves.

3 Likes