Elf fans. Do you still want High Elves?

They did. It was a horn.

4 Likes

Radio comms were a thing before Legion. They should have been present during the attack on the Broken Shore.

5 Likes

Fun fact. The horn is probably still a better signal for a retreat than a radio.

The horn is loud, it travels far, it does not get static, it can’t be misheard, it is not ambiguous… Radios have their uses, and while modern militaries rely on them heavily, they do still use sirens and such for some warnings. You don’t miss a word in a horn blast/siren, nor do you not hear it over the sound of battle like you might not discern a voice over a radio.

4 Likes

The horn doesn’t convey anything other than “retreat”. That’s why Varyan and Genn thought they were being abandoned to die.

At least having someone on comms would be able to relay information. Hell, even a signal flare that conveys “we’re overrun” would have gone a long way.

5 Likes

What else do you expect when a retreat is called?

No, they thought that because they felt predisposed to believe she would abandon them.

Higher risk of not being heard (don’t know how specific they are, so if the person with the receiver had fallen would anyone else get it?) takes more time that is needed to disengage etc.

You know if they would have had discussed what flares mean they could have also discussed different horn signals too?

And the biggest advantage is that it’s going to inform just about everyone at the same time what is going on with a noise that will cut through the din of battle better than a voice does. (and depending on circumstances, possibly a flare, if it’s not dark people might not see it, if there are bright shots going off that might make it harder to notice when a flare is launched.

3 Likes

You need the reason for the retreat.

Predispositions only make actual communication that much more important. You have two armies with a mutual distrust, so the last thing you need is one thinking the other one is leaving them to die. So solid communication channels are very important.

When I say “someone”, I don’t mean just one person. You usually have more than one person on comms or at least have more than one person that knows how to operate comms in case they have to do it on the fly.

Then where was the “we’re overrun” toot of the horn that would make Varyan and Genn say, “oh crap they’re being overrun. That’s why they’re retreating. Signal the retreat for our troops”. That alone changes Genn’s demeanor and motivations in the Stormheim questline.

A rudimentary google search says signal flares can be used in daylight, with different levels of effectiveness depending on the type of flare. There’s also other uses of signals are used in fiction (Norris Packard from Mobile Suit Gundam The 8th MS Team comes to mind). So signal flares were definitely an option.

3 Likes

Why?

thus the horn that notifies everyone at once

that was one example, and if not everyone is receiving each unheard radio multiplies those unaware

in the cinematic, they just didn’t trust it. which would probably apply to any method used

3 Likes

Varyan, who was leading the Alliance forces, would know what the “we’re overrun” toot would sound like. What he and Genn heard was not that. It was just retreat, because otherwise Varyan would not have said “she wouldn’t…”, thinking the Horde turned their backs on the Alliance. Again, communication is important. Clear communication.

You’re reaching. If they had used radio comms, the moment Vol’jin was wounded either he or Sylvannas would have ordered someone to pass word to the Alliance forces that they’re retreating. In a case where they’re using runners, Sylvannas would have ordered random dark ranger to inform the Alliance forces that they’re being overrun and was going to retreat.

Both of these are not just something you can wave away or doubt.

4 Likes

Both of these have way more points of potential failure and take more time.

Well maybe if he spent less time monologuing and some time noticing the rain of dark rangers around him he would understand the situation

3 Likes

While this is the case, it also makes the resulting conflict the product of misfortune instead of the faction leaders being unprepared idiots.

3 Likes

But it’s not different enough.

Lightforged Draenei take offense to this

2 Likes

We have high elves on the horde with blood elves.
And we have high elves on the alliance with void elves.

I dont see what normal high elves would bring to the table that we dont already have.
They would just be a void elf without a racial. I think we can do without having that as a whole new race.

If they were to ever be added, they would need to change in some regard to actually be something new and not the same race put in the game for the third time over.

5 Likes

I have elf fatigue as well, but I actually like Night Elf ruins scattered about. I kinda like Night Elf architecture.

Playable Void Elves are all exiled Blood Elves who were a part of Umberics team.

4 Likes

Debatable as they do have recruits from blood and high elf, but I dont see what difference that makes to what i said tbh

2 Likes

Hey, if Blizzard had done things right the first time when they had the chance during Legion, we wouldn’t be spending time having these discussions.

I’d lean towards writing that the handful of void elves that joined the Alliance have become part of the larger collective of high elves that still exist (Silver Covenant, Quel’danil) and taken up a new monicker/race name. You’d need to implement a race and sub-race system for this, since this new unified “race” would have access to the current void elf classes in addition to paladin and/or shaman. Warlock would be available only if you pick the void elf subrace, while paladin would be available only if you pick the high elf subrace. Void elves would have to be renamed as a race, but at least this way people get what they want.

4 Likes

That was to placate the masses due to the backlash from furious High Elf fans.

No High Elves were present when things went crazy. Only Umberic and his team were present and all were Blood Elves. It was a freak accident thaf made them into Super Elves and I doubt it can be easily duplicated. That and I don’t see how any High Elf decides to reject Fel yet thinks Void is a good idea.

5 Likes

I think youre missing what my issue with adding them is.

Its not that there are no differences. Its that there arent enough. They’re the same race of people as void and blood elves. A few years back they were all united as one people so their lore is basically the same. Their looks are identical so there isnt a visual difference.

I believe that a new player who knows nothing about the lore should be able to see what the difference is between the races are on the character creation screen.

A third race with identical looks as another 2 doesnt stand out.

It just doesnt add anything new to the game. At least not of any value.

If high elves were to be added what would the alliance gain? A void elf with less skin tones.

4 Likes

There’s plenty. Have them finding their own way. By making them the High Elves of the Silver Covenant and the Lodges. Let the Lodge options be more wild and open up Druids and Shamans to them. Give them cool tatoos. While the Silver Covenant side would be more Arcane focused.

I wouldn’t give them Paladins as High Elves were never, in large numbers, into the Light like that. Blood Knights of the Blood Elves is the largest elven organization to ever follow the Light like that.

Give them that and these classes.

Warrior
Rogue
Hunter
Mage
Priest
Druid
Shaman
Death Knight
Monk

No Warlock as that can be excused that they don’t want any part of that as they’re trying to find a new, clear path for themselves.

No Demon Hunter as High Elves didn’t follow Illidan. Blood Elves did.

4 Likes