Elf fans. Do you still want High Elves?

It’s certainly a possibility…

And that’s one way the high elves are interesting!

3 Likes

so old and generic if alliance, but heroic deliverers of lovely blue eyes if horde. hehe see what i mean?

4 Likes

No? They’re just blood elves at that point.

Like I don’t think it’s super amazing or right that they swear allegiance to the horde rather then the Alliance.

1 Like

I think the issues of allegiance is one of the things that really fascinates me about all the short elves. That’s the potatoes and meat of the species.

I would agree with this sentiment, but there’s one problem.

We play as “trolls” and “dwarves”. This leaves the type of troll and dwarf vague, so you can pretend you’re whatever you want to be without issue.

If the race was “Thalassian elf”, you could pretend to be a high elf, void elf, or blood elf. It’s “void elf” though, which excludes the other two. Plus the whole constantly turning blue thing and special dialogue to remind you that you’re void tainted. This all makes it hard to pretend you’re a high elf with just barber shop customizations like they do with dwarves and trolls.

If they can fix these problems, it would be great to have different options within a single race like they do with others.

8 Likes

This is still that issue I mentioned of your imagination and the game being at odds with each other. Player-character dwarves are Bronzebeards. The only acknowledgement of the Wildhammers is that dwarves can roll shaman and some tattoos being added, and this is assuming we ignore the racials (which are all Bronzebeard-oriented).

I’m aware it’d take effort to actually address this (Dwarf “main race” giving Frost Resistance and Might of the Mountain as racials, then Bronzebeard/Wildhammer/Dark Iron “sub-race” determining the other two racials), but I think it could generate more options in the long run without having to clutter the character creation screen or scrape the bottom of the barrel for racial abilities.

2 Likes

Pretty sure “sky”, “gryphon” and “Hinterlands” are for Wildhammers. Not to mention “aerie” and “highlands”. “Thunder” could go either way.

There is an “Ironforge”, though.

…Oh wait, you meant the tattoos being added (and feathers) are the Wildhammery bits. I mean, I could do with more, but it’s better than nothing. It’s workable.

2 Likes

I don’t agree, all the tools to make a high elf there including high elf wayfarers in the rift.

Just like the tools for saying your character is a high elf returning to Quel’thalas are also there for blood elves.

The racial for void elves seems like a rather cool non factor, you’re by choosing the alliance option by default following Alleria just like the horde option follows the kingdom of Silvermoon. And if you’re following Alleria why would you have an aversion to void, maybe it’s some perks of frequently being in Telogorus or some sort of proximity to void magics the way blood elves once had green eyes.

It doesn’t take away from your RP tools.

https://twitter.com/icyveins/status/1635272872561356800?s=46&t=P-saCrhTpuw_LtMbEaex-w

^if this ends up happening perhaps it will be a plus for people who want their Dark Rangers to have a Dark Ranger voice line, or wildhammer fans, or allowing high elf fans to choose high elf voice lines on blood elves and void elves.

I do not believe the race needs to be renamed or racials changed, the same way I do not believe that is necessary to know someone has chosen to play an undead elf w undead elf options added.

3 Likes

They want to follow Vereesa - not the Blood Elven traitors or become a Void eater, and they don’t follow the Kingdom of Silvermoon as they don’t agree with its politics, alliances, leadership, or how much looser they are with a lot of things except the Void.

And yes it does. Void Elves literally have a voice filter, turn purple, and all their voice lines as well as their racial starting point, mount, and armor are all Void themed.

There’s not an ounce of High Elven culture or views (Remember that we are exiled Blood Elves who were exiled for being too extreme even by Blood Elven standards) within us as we aren’t High Elves or even Blood Elves - we’re Ren’dorei and it’s ignorant to believe that we aren’t what we are.

8 Likes

You mean the character that was made up basically to fulfill the role of “Richard Knaak wanted a pretty blonde elf love interest for his self-insert character”?

That Velveeta?

5 Likes

All WoW characters are made up.

10 Likes

Yes. But like say Alleria was made up to be a leader of the elf faction going to Outland, Sylvanas had her whole story of defending SM and becoming the Banshee Queen. Veneeta didn’t serve a purpose but to be self-insert’s arm candy when she was made

5 Likes

Since then, she’s developed a personality outside her husband. Especially after he died.

Say, maybe that’s what we should do with Aggra!

9 Likes

Sylvanas literally promoted her second in command to his position cuz he was a human she was sleeping with.

11 Likes

I’m joking. I generally like Thrall… but man was Aggra an egregious “this character exists to be an ideal piece of arm candy for that character” at first.

Nathanos gets a pass because he was salty and fantastic.

3 Likes

I don’t think the undead really “sleep” as such. I think “bumping uglies” is far more apropos, especially for the Forsaken’s physical condition.

1 Like

Well, Sylvanas had a special body and she gave her lover the still living body of his brother then enhanced it.

They were definitely testing the features of their magically enhanced bodies that none of the other Forsaken got.

7 Likes

Both cases result in a high elf becoming something else. You return to Silvermoon, you become a Blood Elf and the game treats you as such. You go to the void place, you become a Void Elf and the game treats you as such. If you want to be a high elf, you have no options other than make your imagination go against what the game is telling you (you imagination and the game being at odds with each other), and that’s a problem.

Racials are not non-factors. Racials are what the game gives you to serve the purpose of features for picking that race and to give a sense of in-world identity.

Going back to my dwarf example, a Wildhammer Dwarf shouldn’t be getting Stoneform or Explorer because the Wildhammers were reclusive up until Cataclysm and are more connected to the open spaces of Aerie Peak. They instead should have a Storm Hammer racial (20 yd range, 1.5 sec cast time, knocks target off their feet) and maybe a speed increase in open zones (alternatively, higher movement speed on flying mounts).

5 Likes

Ah, I see. I didn’t know that.