Elf fans. Do you still want High Elves?

I’ve learned that you can’t dismiss something as “just the meta” because that creeps into other parts of the game. The behaviors of the top players is copied by everyone below them.

The ideal scenario is one where your choices cause no one to bat an eye, and hybrids didn’t have that for the most part until Wrath came along. It’s funny you mention druids, because they were the first class to feel that bit of freedom since their issues started to get addressed in TBC, where bear and cat druids were no longer jokes. Moonkin weren’t that far behind (even if they got screwed by some damage immunities).

The bottom line is that the game should support the concepts and help reflect them better, instead of perpetuating ludonarrative dissonance and having your imagination do the heavy lifting for the game. Imagination and the game should work in tandem, not against each other. Which is why I can’t take the “just roll a void elf and pretend you’re a high elf” arguments seriously.

2 Likes

and no longer had to farm crowd pummeler over and over and over

I’m just glad the post was unhidden by the mods.

A) no one was requesting the Iron Horde.
B) to this day they use the WoD NPC skins which are significantly lower quality than other races’.

The Mag’har were in no way a good get for the Horde.

3 Likes

Just play Turtle WoW if you want high elves. You get the WoW gameplay you want with the high elves you love.

I almost took your arguments seriously. Then I remembered all of this is you distracting from the fact that you got called out on trying to claim that bad player models weren’t a problem because of story content that took place before they were playable.

4 Likes

its vanilla yeah? and server based in russia?

Idk where the server is based but it’s a fan passion project. And they do have High Elves. And it is vanilla content.

1 Like

I’ve acquiesced on this point earlier in the thread. The reasoning behind it all was weak because it looked like Blizzard was more concerned with closing the book on WoD (which wasn’t necessary) over something that made more sense. I would have reintroduced some of the Outlands Mag’har, write a story about how some want to reconnect and/or make up for the sullied image Garrosh gave them and take it from there. There were lots of Mag’har in Mists, so they weren’t exactly short in numbers either.

2 Likes

we alliance players were insulted that they went horde. we had just spent a month questing for them, feeding them, training their withered, saving them, reconnecting their ley lines and regrowing their tree, and then tyrande stepped up, irritated their leader, and wham, we were all suddenly enemies. it was exasperating. i decided to make a couple on horde and my gosh their armor doesnt fit properly

3 Likes

I did say I look at the whole package. Can’t say how you look at this stuff, but visuals aren’t everything. I’ve also acknowledged that void elves have strong visuals, but their introduction and the lore surrounding them sours the whole thing. And again, the meta factors surrounding it exacerbates things.

And as I’ve said, if you want to complain about bad character models, go make a thread about it, link it and I’ll give my support. I supported the people who wanted orcs to not be hunched over, and I supported the worgen players that didn’t want to perma-snarl. Someone saying the nightborne need better models would get my support as well.

1 Like

I think all that is completely unnecessary. Tbh Mag’har never really made sense as a race. There’s no real cultural difference between them and Azerothian orcs and the only physical difference between them is skin colour. Would much rather have gotten Mok’nathal with Mag’har as customisation.

The only real benefit behind the Mag’har as a race was that they can field armies, which is kind of cool.

2 Likes

I remember that the original request started popping up in late TBC or during Wrath, just asking for the skin color to be available. You’re right that in such a context, a questline wouldn’t be necessary. Was more spitballing for how to approach them as an Allied race.

I can agree with Mok’nathal, but the issue I see is you’d have to really expand on them. They had a village in TBC and then just Rexxar, which gives us not much of a foundation.

1 Like

That’s more than Mag’har and void elves had when they were introduced.

3 Likes

Something that you deal with while playing the character

Happens once and can be forgotten

opinion based on if it’s bad or good.

somewhat out of Blizz’s control

But again, this seems to be more of the cherry picking of situations where you can pretend that the superior alliance AR models are worse than the lazy horde ones because you can point out better story stuff behind them.

2 Likes

Honestly, I’m pretty pleased with Nightborne since they got their beefy customization pack.

Sure, there’s things that could be better, but they’re not too bad and they don’t depress me anymore.

1 Like

However, the males especially inherited a lot of issues from the parent model.

I wish Bliz would stop using the male night elf model… Or shop it up a bit.

Anyway, Vierard and I are Sledge.

1 Like

I swear Vie is wearing pants in game.

Well, kind of.

There is such a thing as standards in writing.

Outside of their control but they were very capable of reading the room and choosing their actions based on that. And it doesn’t take a genius to look at a course of action and see how that will look and the types of reactions it would get.

Again, deciding to not give people what they asked for and pushing a poorly-conceived alternative, resulting in the alternative not being universally accepted shouldn’t come as a surprise.

2 Likes

I know, they should have listened to our requests and left the blood elf uniqueness alone

4 Likes

Hard disagree. I think they’re still hella bad looking. I’m giving up hope of ever playing one because I’m beginning to think they’re never getting fixed.

Which sucks, they’re like the only elf group that I don’t want to mana bomb.

2 Likes