Elder Scrolls

I beg to differ, BfA is MUCH less fun then WoD was. At least class game play was mostly ok in wod, it’s trash in BfA.

I’ve seen far more people flee from BfA then WoD ever managed to run off.

Assuming this is the same article you’re talking about(since you didn’t just link it for some reason), this is the only thing I could find:

World of Warcraft probably still has about 5 million monthly subscribers –

And nowhere are they explaining where they got those numbers. So it’s a guesstimate, just like literally every other source on the internet, and the rest are lower than 5 mil. Again, without Blizzard releasing them, the most anyone can do is guess.

Yea, even if they could tell who was doing what, they wouldn’t.

And I still stand by the fact that part of what is killing wow is that they don’t build on systems anymore, they tack one on for an expansion and then abandon it.

XIV is growing because each patch, each expansion builds on and improves the last, they don’t try to reinvent the wheel every expansion.

1 Like

Not to mention they make sure all of the older content stays relevant, instead of leaving it behind to rot.

3 Likes

Theres an activison statistics forecast around if you search. 2019 WoW was forecast to have 4.9 million players with steady decline in player base until 2023. Its for their shareholder forcast i would think.

1 Like

But my question is, do they really have that many? People throw around these numbers like gospel but we have no way of knowing if any are true. I don’t trust any number that doesn’t come from Blizzard, they’re the only ones that know for sure what subs look like.

This is the best one I’ve seen so far, personally, but I know it obviously still isn’t accurate. https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/acqhph/i_estimated_subscriber_numbers_using_google_trend/

But anyway my original point was just that FF and possibly ESO are slowly creeping up on WoW and with both of them releasing a new expansion/DLC this year, they’ll only keep going up.

1 Like

People like facts, I believe theres a LOT less players but thats just me. I would think the top 3 mmos have about the same playerbase atm, 2 of those on the rise one on the decline due to one thing…Quality of gameplay.

1 Like

Listen, I can’t counter you by offering solid numbers or facts aside from the fact that Square Enix’s Market cap is $4.169B and ATVI’s is $36.122B. ATVI’s gross income was more than square’s entire revenue.

Breaking it down, If ATVI’s revenue on the last earnings call was $7.49B and it sold 5M copies at $60 a piece, that is $300M, 5 months of subs (August through December 2018,) at the low end, $11/month each times 5M: $275M

These are conservative estimates. Out of ATVI’s $7.49B in revenue for 2018, $575M is from WoW alone. That’s 7% of total revenue. On an expansion that was out for five months of calendar year 2018. My numbers are low.

Anyway, the next earnings call is in May. When that’s released, you will be able to get a better picture because if you break it down proportionally, I think you will get a better picture.

I’m not some fanboi either, I’m as interested in the truth as you are, but I just don’t think the floor is much lower than just under 5 Million subs right now. It will get lower over time, but the financials just don’t add up. Adding Classic this year will likely make WoW a very large percentage of ATVI’s total revenue, even if the nostalgia wears off and it stabilizes at under 1 million MAUs.

Your numbers are off, you’re using ATVI numbers like they mean much when it comes to Blizzard.

Blizzard only pulled in 686M q4 2018 and 2.3B for the year overall.

This includes earnings from everything, it’s not broken down per title and the q4 flat out states “expected wow declines”. You have to factor in hearthstone expansions, OW box purchases, etc etc. There’s a lot more money in there now then just WoW, and a lot of WoW’s income now is coming from MTX like transfers and pets and selling gold.

1 Like

Which is why wow is probably a very high percentage of blizzards revenue.

I wouldn’t be surprised if only 60% or less of wow’s income was from subs anymore though.

1 Like

Same here. I’m a level 42 magica sorcerer and just finished the main storyline. It blew away anything that WoW had as far as story. Also playing a Templar which is pretty fun too. ESO has a more mature player base from what I could see, Far Far superior graphics and much better professions. And probably half a dozen other things it does better than WoW. Plus No Sub Required! The downsides : small actionbar, not enough bank or bag space well its there if you want to pay for it, either by crowns or a lot of gold. But the daily log in rewards can give a ton of gold so theres that.

2 Likes

Mount speed and stam is horrible too unless you pay. It may be no sub required but they sure try to make life hard if you don’t pay something

LoL my other toon is a Magicka Templar now which is awesome. One bar for dps one for heals, switch on the fly so good and mad fun. Im max CP 810 full gold set gear on all my toons so can build nearly anything. Plus have every monster set in divines. Ive played a lot haha. For your lightning sorc get Netch touch from darkshades cavern and crafted Julianos, then use all lightning skills, crazy dps.
As for graphics, yep 4k ultra 60fps looks so good.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips!

Disagree about the mount speed. You have to gradually upgrade it at a stable once a day. It costs some gold but gold is pretty easy to get with the daily log in rewards.

1 Like

It’s a feature to get you to pay though, you can spend upwards of 180 days maxing everything out, or you can just buy it with crowns.

It’s not a convenience feature, it’s purely a cash grab.

Its 250 in game gold a day…which is about 1 warcraft gold per day…You dont need to use the store for it at all, I have have maxed out horses without spending a cent. Log in, walk to stable master, click upgrade mount, ride off. Clicking NPC’s aint easy for the modern gamer? You pay for mount speed in wow but just larger chunks of gold.
Blizz selling gold for real money which buys Boe’s and carries for mythic loot is the biggest cash grab in a sub based game in the history of ever. Thats pay 2 win.

2 Likes

You’re not getting my point, most people won’t want to wait 180 days to upgrade fully, which means is specifically set up to get you spend money for crowns to speed up the process.

Most people…got any data for that? I Didnt.