Elder Scrolls

And picking the locks actually levels another skill that helps you pickpocket hahaha

1 Like

Again, no idea when or where you go but everywhere I have been original game, current game and everywhere in between the cities have hundreds of people in them and there are people on the roads, at wayshrines, delves, public dungeons, etc wherever I am

1 Like

Don’t know what trade chat you are talking about cuz all I’ve ever seen is people responding with helpful comments. Except one time some tool was selling runs to something you that was a solo deal, then people spoke up and told him to stop trying to scam new people.

2 Likes

Well I haven’t played since the last Halloween event so unless they quintupled the subscriber base, I will respectfully cast doubt on that.

I’m talking about zone chat in major cities, two nights ago the chat in Auridon was anything but helpful. The tinfoil hat brigade was in full force, followed by the WoW AA group. As well as the typical trolling one might find from f2p players.

WoW has its own tinfoil hat brigade but it’s got nothing on what I saw.

If you like sandbox games, never feeling more powerful then level 1 aside from new abilities because of scaling, and all that, it’s a great game I guess.

I find it extremely boring after you hit 160, from there it’s just more passives and no more gear increases and such.

Not to mention if you don’t pay don’t bother doing professions, that material bag is REQUIRED if you do professions

That sucks! I did see some chat about WOW refugees coming over to the game and people were saying they hoped they left the rudeness in WOW and didn’t bring it with them.

Well I guess there’s always got to be someone :frowning:

Ok, but I have no reason to lie about it and can only tell you what I have seen the last month I’ve played.

1 Like

OOP yeah I suppose

Ah, the ever elusive other mmo

I have been looking for it since patch 3.0 of wow.

Understand this is completely anecdotal, not factual at all. I have over 400 days played in wow. I started towards the end of Vanilla and hit 58 maybe 3 weeks after BC came out and went to Outland.

I have taken breaks 4 times and ended up playing different MMOs.

During Cataclysm I went to play SWTOR. That did not last long. It was really really bad at launch. Ended up doing all Mass effect 1 and 2. Came back for last 2 weeks of cat.

Did mop until siege ran way way too long. Went and played rift. Rift was amazing at first, I was having a blast. The game was almost entirely based on hybrid specs and composition. I was having a blast. Took a break to get married came back game was nerfed hammerknell (the raid that was out) was a shadow of how difficult it was when I left and the game had gone f2p with multiple servers merged. I tried for a little bit and gave up.

So looked at WOD. Saw the word Savage 1000 times and decided it looked horrid. Went and played Skyrim for hours and hours and hours. 4 playthroughs. Greatest game ever. Bought ESO. Leveled my Templar hardcore up to vet cap. Then

I realized I had been convincing myself it was a good game instead of it actually being one. It was a characiture of Skyrim. A joke. Classes were dreadful. Mechanics were almost entirely based on animation cancelling. Tanking was a joke. So was healing. It still is. ESO seems to exist for the desperate. You can’t actually enjoy how it plays. Because it’s really bad.

So then I went back to swtor which was now ok except it had no content just loot boxes and cut scenes and even then it was a basically a wow clone.

From my perspective there is no mmo genre, there’s only wow. There’s probably bc and wrath and mop private servers with more active users than ESO or swtor, much less retail wow.

This is not a reinforcement that BFA is good. It’s more of a reinforcement that it is exceedingly expensive to make a good mmo and that even ones that seemingly had good bones end up withering because they simply can’t hold onto pissed off wow players for that long.

I have no optimism that there will ever be anything like this game again to compete with it and force the developers to do better.

The ROI is simply not there.

Amazon’s looks like a joke too. It’s just a showcase for webservices.

Publically traded companies that aren’t hardware manufacturers and game design are basically oil and water in my opinion.

There are no good games by them, Activision killed Blizzard ea killed bioware and the remaining studios are not making MMOs.

1 Like

Absolutely good advice and perspective, It sounds exactly what I was feeling without having spent much time playing these other games. your description at the end as to how publicly traded companies ruin creativity is very spot on

I’m hoping Pantheon actually happens and delivers! Until then I’ll play what I enjoy until I don’t enjoy it any longer and at this moment I’m loving ESO. I can always play my char in FFXIV and maybe even WOW again if it ever becomes enjoyable to me.

The moral of the story is that everyone enjoys differenty styles of play and the only way to be sure you like something is to give it a try.

Great anecdotal write up, I also really don’t like the ESO game play and such, however it has a LOT more players then you give it credit for, being B2P it’s a given.

XIV isn’t small either, but it only hits over the million mark at launches, it hovers closer to half a mil up to 3/4 on patch months. Though all in all, I doubt wow is that huge anymore either, most of the people I know (anecdotal but it’s in the hundreds) have quit between the last 3 expansions and a lot of servers are ghost towns. I’d give the world pop 3 million at best, it just doesn’t appeal enough to the fornite crowd to keep new players coming in.

And with only Pantheon being big on the horizon for tab target, hotkey mmo’s, the future looks grim with only XIV to hold the torch when wow development inevitably kills the game.

1 Like

I dunno, in my opinion I think both FF14 and ESO are their main competition. When FF’s expansion launches this summer in particular I think their subs will rival or surpass WoW’s, depending if 8.2 or whatever is out by then. Elsweyr will probably bring many back to ESO. I think WoW is at that turning point where they’ll need to make some big changes or risk being overtaken by other games.

1 Like

That’s just it though. Wow is still over 5 million subs.

That’s what I am saying. Classic will push it up over 7. Every financial rag (motley Fool especially) estimates that wows floor is 5 million and revenue reflects that floor.

Classic, bc, and wrath servers are literally all they have to do to break 10m again. They can just keep bombing retail expacs and keep costs down. In fact, as a shareholder, that’s what I hope they do.

Which is why there is no competition. ESO and ffxiv added together don’t equal 5 million.

You got a source for that? 5 mil sounds really high to me. And frankly without Blizzard themselves publishing the numbers I don’t think any other source is going to be accurate.

Yea, I honestly HIGHLY doubt that it has 5 million, with the amount people I’ve seen quit in the last few years that have played for many many years and the slow flow of new players (i mean, come on, the game is horrible for new players) it’s probably closer to 3 or less. Classic will help for a bit, but once people realize what classic actually IS it’ll drop like crazy.

They’re best bet is to make a REALLY good 8.2 and 8.3 and just stoppppppp with these 1 expansion only systems, and add to that having other servers like TBC/Wrath etc.

Wrath is just as popular if not MORE popular then classic in the private market.

Motley fool.

Just for reference: warlords of Draenor bottomed out just under 4.5

This is nowhere near as bad.

Look up atvi on motley fool and read the article.

My main is 100% Lightning sorc, so OP.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s more like what I was thinking. Tying classic access to their retail subs was genius, I could even see them publishing sub numbers again after classic comes out, since there’s probably no way to differentiate between the ones logging in for classic exclusively.