EDIT: FIXED (kinda) Personal note - Ran out of food money today

This is what my dad and his brother & mom did when he was growing up poor in Indiana. Lentils, rice, pasta, all great ways to bulk up food. Lentils also have lots of nutrition.

He would also, when finishing salad, pour the rest of the dressing left in the bowl back into the container of dressing.

Ramen is super cheap. Recommend trying that as well.

1 Like

Yeah, and they keep for a long time. You can buy them whenever they’re cheapest then just keep them somewhere dry. Super good staple things to build off of regardless of financial status.

1 Like

Get a second job, look for local food pantries, don’t be afraid to ask for help.

When I was broke and went grocery shopping I would behave like everything I put in the basket cost $5 Start adding it up and try to leave the grocery store with enough food for 5 days and under 10 items and usually wound up with a bill around $30

Cutting out frivolous non foods like colas and desserty things helps.

Like yall can do whatever you want if you’re the boss of your chain-store. I’m just saying it’s probably not a good idea in reality.

maybe spend time earning extra income instead of wow forum

1 Like

Reminds me about the deserty things… one time I bought a peach, took out the pit, wrapped it in a flour and water dough, filled it with McDonalds sweet and sour you can get with nuggets, glazed the outside with a free sugar packet. baked it for 25 minutes, it was sooo good I though man if I ever open a restaurant this is on the desert menu… who knew a 50 cent peach could be made so fancy with free condiments. :rofl:

1 Like

I don’t know what food prices are like around your area, OP, but for me, ramen, bread, cheap flavored tuna cans usually help. Cheap coffee and tea (maybe even a box of cereal as a treat) can also be comforting in difficult times.

I feel like a lot of people the world over are starting to feel the crunch while we’re going through these transformative times but please hang in there.

For what it’s worth, treat yourself. With only 5 dollars at your disposal, it’s not likely that you can easily buy enough food to prepare meals.

Do what you can to survive for now. America has this mentality of “pull yourself up by your bootstraps” and “you’re doing poverty wrong” but you know what’s best for you in these difficult times. No one else knows what it’s like to be in your shoes… so go and grab yourself something nice… that sandwich or whatever you want from 7/11… treat yourself to it.

Don’t starve yourself just to live up to anyone else’s ideals or expectations… especially when they don’t know what it’s like and all you have is a five dollar note and you have to do what you have to do to survive.

I wish you all the best, OP. Treat yourself, go for whatever comforts you can, and do whatever it takes to survive.

We live in the era of late stage capitalism so I feel like people are starting to wake up to how crummy the system is.

2 Likes

Tuna, Cream of Mushroom, Noodles, Peas.

Basic tuna casserole dish. 2-3 cans is enough for a dish that would last ~3 days.

5 Likes

I still make this sometimes, even though I don’t have to. It’s just easy comfort food lol

(though I use cream of chicken instead because fungi freak me out)

4 Likes

Now you’re starting to lose me as an advocate… what gives you the right to assume that a boss or supervisor should put his own security and that of his own family, at risk. in order to protect you from doing something against company policy or even against the law?.. that is extremely selfish… I get you now… I see you.

1 Like

My wife does a tuna casserole dish where she crumbles potato chips on the top for a crust before she bakes it.

I don’t like it, but it’s a comfort food from childhood for her, so I tolerate it.

2 Likes

LOL… same it was a weekly staple at my house growing up… I still bake it for me… but my Husband HATES it…

1 Like

What a nonsensical post , if you do get prosecuted that stays on your record for a long time. People don’t hire those with records . Just wow.

I work in an automotive company and we throw away thousands of dollars of perfectly good brake parts ( calipers, rotors , pads ) every week . We are not allowed to even touch a component or we will get prosecuted for stealing. Literally I have thrown away calipers I need for my own car and then have to go down to autozone and buy it in the evening.

1 Like

One of my favorite comfort food dishes… Mom used to make this a lot growing up. Add a heaping large soup spoon of miracle whip and sour cream too…

What if you have a hard time even walking up stairs or lifting 10 pounds? I am saying this at 43.

1 Like

omg I had a shortened version of that “Boil em mash em stick em in a stew. PO_TAY_TOES!” on loop as my ringtone AGES ago.

Nothing does - that’s not my intent.

Most of my opinions are formed from my personal work experience. All of the managers treat the employees like children while most of us go hungry every other week. We’re understaffed, underpaid, and overworked. I have very little sympathy for my bosses when they’re bragging about taking vacations while my coworkers get fired for standing up to a rude customer. Regardless of whether or not it’s company policy, a manager’s got more power than we do. They could look the other way.

I was told to stop taking food home because I was "Costing the store almost $250 a day!" It’s a megacorp. My boss makes enough to take three three-week vacations whenever she wants. She owns two houses.

I have been honkin homeless.
I don’t have a lotta sympathy for her or anyone like her who treats her employees like that.

1 Like

The furniture store I worked at as a kid had a giant compactor in the back, and everything that went unsold or was unsellable was smashed in that thing. I’m talking whole sofas, everything.

I believe there is a legal liability reason for this. It’s stupid, and all the clowns out there buying/returning thousands and thousands of items per day don’t realize that probably about half of it ends up in a landfill.

1 Like