Dungeon Difficulty: Poll

Yes I agree i’m just saying that things that were “bugs” made the game harder. Correct talents made things much easier also. Taunt not costing 10 rage was nice.

I think the best reference point is in Blizz HQ. As far as average player… we’ll see if they do an open beta, but without one I doubt we’ll get a good reference point for that. Since pservers are niche, and the players there along with wow vets aren’t indicative of the average player.

F is for fire that burns down the whole town…

I don’t know why everyone is so interested in dampening their own experiences. The thing is, I really understand the #nochanges thing. I really do. But we have years of the pserver scene to learn from. Pservers never changed anything that really makes the game any less Vanilla, they made changes to make the game MORE Vanilla. Part of Vanilla (at the time) was difficulty. Wipes. And this means tuning. Just enough tuning to make you feel accomplished when you clear a dungeon. Make you care about the people you grouped up with and not just another retail-like clear it, forget it, experience.

2 Likes

Here is the weird thing. Classic beta is easier than pservers I hear but am also hearing that leveling takes longer. Seems weird to me. Especially since often times people equate time taken to difficulty when it comes to video games.

because You used to suck at the game

In other words, the best reference point is the one that doesn’t exist right now. But I do agree that an open beta would help.

Pservers like Nost was not niche. Maybe in N.A. bc of high ping. But in the EU it was absolutely not niche.

Yes, because regen values. Either way, it’s group content that seems absurdly easy which is why it’s the focus.

1 Like

Except that pservers are complete guesswork and chances are very little of their values are right. We already know that weapon skill functions differently in classic than what pservers had. Not just with hit but also glancing blows.

We also know that parry rate was off as well, not by a little bit. By enough that the current pserver meta won’t work in classic. You think anyone is gonna use a DW tank with 14% parry rate?

The real issue with difficulty and people are adamant its not the issue (it is though) is player knowledge and skill. I didn’t wipe in SM tanking it on Nost in my early 30’s. I didn’t feel more or less accomplished. I was bothered cause the damage didn’t feel right (now i know it wasn’t).

However if you rewind 13 years. Those groups would’ve wiped at least once in vanilla. Cause you can’t erase the knowledge and skill developed. Doesn’t matter what you do its there. Especially when you’re an enthusiast or seasoned gamer/mmo player.

Would I like things tuned harder for me personally: Yes. Do I want it for the game? No. not at all. Its not what vanilla was and its not what classic should be.

It was niche man. Just cause it was a big pserver doesnt mean its not niche. MMO’s were niche pre WoW and the largest ones still had 100k subs and concurrent players.

Okay, and that’s your impression. Now compare that to the hundreds of people complaining that the game seemed too easy.

“I remember having to CC”, “I remember having to drink between pulls”, “I remember having to pull carefully”

So to them, it doesn’t feel “right”, does it?

People keep equating Classic to a historical artifact because of Brack’s and other’s comments since the game was announced. But the reason we all want to play it, is because we enjoyed the Vanilla experience, and we should strive to recreate it as much as we can.

2 Likes

The vanilla experience is different for everyone. You started early. I did too. What about those who leveled in 1.12? What about those who leveled 1.10 (the last patch with dungeon nerfs iirc)?

So whose magic are you trying to capture? the magic of vanilla or yours?

People keep equating it to a historical artifact because thats the best way to capture it. Pick a point and build that. Blizzard has decided that point. Its time to build it. More specifically blizzard picked 2006.

The problem is this, 95% of vanillas playerbase never leveled during the 1.12 patch so that is why people remember it being harder because content got nerf by talent upgrades, bug fixes, or just strait up boss/dungeon nerfs.

This is just not a true statement. They picked it as a reference, and then changed several things from that point. There are so many things that existed in 1.12 that will not exist at launch. It will be a different game. There is zero reason they can’t tune it to give a similar difficulty level to the earlier patches as well, even though they have more powerful classes. That is the ONLY way to give the same experience. It must be of equal difficulty.

3 Likes

I have already shown you where they said they want it to feel like you are playing as if it was 2006. You just want to read it differently. That is on you and no one else.

Well presumably, if you had to choose a single point to represent something that changed over time, wouldn’t you pick the average? The median? Again, it’s no coincidence that Blizzard going with the easiest patch, 1.12, has resulted in many finding the game easier than they recall.

In a lot of ways, 1.12 is NOT representative of Classic as a whole, it’s at the tail end of a continous trend. But most people see that as a good thing (minus AV, etc.), because most people see the QoL, balance, and polish as being positive. However, the easier difficulty of 1.12 is NOT a good thing, especially considering all the changes outside the game from 2006 to 2019.

4 Likes

The real reason they are choosing 1.12 is its a) the only complete data set they have, and b) the last of the talent revamps. Call it the easiest but thats why they chose it.

And if i was choosing it would be a god damn hodgpodge monstrosity no one wants but me.

I agree with you there. But the difficulty of 1.12 is it’s flaw. Maybe slightly so in 2006, but significantly so in 2019.

I also showed how that two parts of that statement were clearly at odds with regard to my concern. You choose to ignore that. “That’s on you.” (What a ridiculous statement.)

1 Like

Also Kurwen, you should listen to this Masoschism person. They wrote a frickin dissertation for every rebuttal and you still have the nerve to continue with low effort responses.