Druid Rune Gore: Respectfully, No thank you

I honestly can’t believe this rune made it into the game. It’s a stupid slot machine mechanic that effectively does nothing other than give you extra powershifts. This rune has the same shortcoming that KotJ has, which is that it effectively just gives us more energy, when powershifting already gives us all the energy we need. It’s redundant and lazy.

I would even take tigers fury giving 3-5 combo points over gores making it have a 5% chance to be reset.

None of these are bad ideas. They’ve attempted to implement Wrath Cat with Vanilla Systems.
I don’t necessarily disagree with the power shifting opinion. But if SoD is for the vanilla crowd, power shift was the core mechanic of vanilla (although I’d argue it was emergent and not intentional). Doesn’t mean it couldn’t change though.

All of this is academic, power shifting isn’t going anywhere according to these new runes. Gore, as is, is meh for both Cat and Bear. The point of the post is I’m telling the Devs that Gore isn’t what I want. Other’s may disagree, idk.

I do think the one thing we can all agree on is that Cat finishers need some serious love.

They have tried lazily.

/shrug
Development isn’t easy. Their time is limited.
I don’t mind them trying new things, that’s the point of SoD. I just want to them to hear that this rune as written is bad. Just my opinion.

4 Likes

I would argue its not for the vanilla crowd. Giving how different it already is from classic wow. So leaving power shifting out of being the go to mechanic to maximize dps is right in line. The whole point of SoD is to do new things, or at least bring future things/qol much earlier, the latter being the main route they are doing.

Will see. I expect I wont be rerolling, because alliance still requires WF. I find bear tanking boring as hell. So if my guild is happy with my bottom dps while I am basically a walking WF totem + 3% crit, well guess so. I figure I would probably just quit instead of trying to put all the investment I have currently(max reps, professions, honor etc) into another character.

I already switch to boomkin to pvp. As feral is horrible in it.

1 Like

They are not developing ANYTHING though. They are taking future expansion abilities and giving it to vanilla cat. Of course this isn’t gunna work, we have no completed toolkit just parts of multiple. Let’s give them TBC, wrath, and legion abilities and see how that does.

1 Like

Take the paladin pill friends. As a long time feral I can assure you that it’s worth it.

Or just go shaman and watch the world burn.

I’ll just most likely quit SoD and wait for Cata to launch. I’d give my stuff away but I wouldnt wanna get anyone banned.

3 Likes

This rune seems like a proc that you can go multiple raid bosses without ever seeing, and for bear it is so miniscule it does not matter, nobody cares about a reset to mangle because the ability sucks, the only time it feels good is when Berserk is active which already gives mangle no cd. Honestly, it feels like blizzard just gave feral windfury and told them they’re all set for the rest of SoD. Aggrend claimed they hadn’t forgotten about us, yet we went all of p2 with zero love or communication. Dump Gore, dump the other “feral” rune that is datamined as it is also useless, and start from scratch

1 Like

The hilarious part is I saw the rogue rune and thought “Holy #@$#@ , 1 combo point every time a party member crits? And its only a 1 second internal CD?” That is basically saying a free combo point every second. And I thought man imagine if we had that. Then i remember wait, then we would still have nothing to push. There are already times during zerk and if crit rng happens, where you are sitting on CP. Because roar is already up and >15 seconds and rip is still going. Imagine being blessed by the rng gods actually causes this spec to stall out.

1 Like

Gore, as previewed, is a disappointing missed opportunity for feral DPS next phase.

Relying on RNG is not fun. Either you get lots of procs and you perform well, or you don’t. No nuance or skill expression by the player. This problem would not be cured if the proc rate was increased from 5% either; it will still rely on RNG.

Powershifting is a well-known component of feral dps in Vanilla. It remains so in SoD. Powershifting is fun, it allows nuance and skill expression by the player.

Runes should engage with this well-known component of feral playstyle. For instance, a powershifting feral druid is one of the most mana-hungry playstyles in the game - a rune could be designed to improve that. The equip bonus of Wolfshead Helm is ludicrously good for feral dps; that equip bonus could be made into a rune.

2 Likes

Even if you got it to proc a few times it’s still aboslutely horrible.

Compare it to rogues getting Cut to the Chase and Honor Among Thieves.

Just laughable they look at these runes and think they are even comparable in terms of how good they are.

It needs to be emphasized that even if gore was good damage wise which its NOT its HORRIBLE gameplay. we want control over our rotation. we want powershifting.

gore is lame and not very exciting for either bear or cat. its a warrior tier rune.

its also kind of sad that the coolest upcoming rune, improved frenzied regeneration, is not going to be in phase 3.

Barkskin will be good for PvP.

No Melee is going to be able to beat a Feral if they have Sunfire and defensive runes stacked. At least we’re getting dual spec.

Let’s keep it real. People who are bad are their jobs get fired. The person who is designing Feral for SoD has no idea what they’re doing.

1 Like

personally i think powershifting is janky as hell and should have gotten changed by a rune or outright replaced.

6 Likes

I was deciding which of my 5 classes I would be leveling first by checking out ranks/runes/talents for next phase. I recognised the oversight of this rune within seconds of seeing what feral tank, wild this slips through.

well, with wolfshead coming, and OOC+furor build likely to be be the meta

LOTP will no longer be a viable choice. sorry warriors.