Dragonriding Is A Terrible Idea

it’s just another gate. yeah, even the flying is gated.
I still have no idea why we are exploring and helping the aspects. They are inviting us and giving us the lousiest dragons they have? How rude.
I think the greek dude should go away. under his supervision, the game is just stupid and annoying. And yes, every quest is giving us “renown”. Sigh, if you didn’t know us, why did you invite us to the freaking isles for help…
I am making this post, because I had to, I am waiting for my vigor to refresh… Yeah, I was trying to get one of those dragoncoins or w/e the f. that is. It feels like I am playing Zelda. why? IDK.

5 Likes

This is a dumb take and shows you haven’t played for long. TBC-Panda you literally bought your flying license for gold as soon as you hit max level. It wasn’t until WoD and Ion’s hateb**** against flying that flying suddenly became a “problem” that needed to be “solved”. Instead of just something they designed around. DF zones are evidence that they can design zones with flying in mind from the get-go, the lack of old flying is just Ion monkey-pawing it because he hates normal flying.

This is also a stupid take because it’s a false dichotomy. See my point from above.

7 Likes

I agree. I am not a fan of DR. I stopped questing to get the glyphs and to practice and am getting better at it,
It’s taking longer than an hour to collect everything.
I haven’t spent my life playing three dimensional video games so I’m not the best at this.

Really though, dragons are living things and should fly themselves…

2 Likes

Omg same! Especially for people like me whos always war mode on! :panda_face:

1 Like

I did unlock them all in beta. I just don’t like Dragon Riding. I understand why you made this suggestion but really I just wish people would stop trying to convince those of us who dislike it that we’d actually enjoy it if we just did it right. We don’t like it. It’s that simple. I don’t want to see it taken away or changed for all of you who enjoy it. But I just don’t understand why Blizz won’t give us the choice to use either dragon riding or our regular mounts. Seems like a simple solution.

7 Likes

didnt bother with it at all. when it came time for that quest i just skipped it and hopped over the side of the mountain. i will hit cap…if i can???.. then just unsub again till reg flyings back like i do every expansion

4 Likes

I’m meh about it. It can be fun, but eh. I think it’s a touch overly complicated. It’s not hard for me. It’s just irritating.

What I’m hoping is that we can get a compromise. Let fans of dragonriding get their fun and insanely fast fly speed wherever they want. Let the so called air swimmers get their hover at the cost of being slow (relatively speaking).

Take flight (heh), and split it into winged flight and non-winged flight. Winged flight follows the dragonriding mechanics by default. Non-winged flight follows the old mechanics. There’s going to be some judgement calls. For example, the cloud serpents don’t have wings, but should use dragonriding IMO. The basic flying machine literally has helicopter blades, it should keep old style mechanics. And so on.

Then on top of that system, I’d like to see new mount equipment. One piece of equipment would turn all mounts into dragonriding mounts. Maybe engineering wings. Or magical wings. Or whatever. Have a variety so you can grant whatever wings you want to non-winged mounts. (Think engineering glider wings, feathered pegasus wings, leathery demon wings, etc.) The other set of equipment would enable classic flying for all flying. Magical horseshoes made by blacksmiths, or whatever. Get a wide variety and it could add more income to crafting professions.

Then we extend the equipment to ground mounts so we can use the cooler ground mounts for flying. Acherus deathcharger with leathery demon wings anyone? (Yes, I know about Invincible. It’s ugly.)

More options are good, IMO.

6 Likes

dragonriding is fantastic. i expected it would be ‘meh’ but i’m having a lot of fun with it. i actually took a bit of time to do some of the races while i leveled.

yes, it’s kind of cumbersome at first. grab all the tokens you can to upgrade your abilities – it makes a BIG difference. with some abilities and some practice it’s extremely versatile.

Adapt or go play Runescape. Dragon flight is awesome and here to stay!

im personally not into stupid minigames or dumb hoops. i just wanna do my quests and thats it. also please please PLEASE no more dumb vehicle quests either.

to me dragon riding is just some stupid minigame trying to be force fed it and i refuse to eat that crap. as a pro flyer id rather stick on my ground mounts then even try it. if i wanted a dumb flying racing game i would go play that instead

6 Likes

except its not.

Personally I think your point is fairly irrelevant. It’s a bit much to moan about how flying is in DF when the modern norm is that players do not have access to it at all for 12+ months.

It was never in question whether this was the best design the game could have, nor the best design that WoW has ever had.
It’s more just a question of is what you currently have really that much if any worse than what you would normally expect.

Well, since we have had 1 good expansion (Legion) since Mr. I-hate-flying took over I would say that maybe doing thing like they were in TBC-Pandaland might not be such a bad idea.

7 Likes

Personally I don’t disagree, I’ve made plenty of posts in the past stating my opinion on the “flying is just a convenience” era of the game post-MoP.

As far as I’m concerned flight should be something that opens up the map and new areas to you like TBC-MoP, as opposed to the modern design of “you can walk everywhere” and flight being a convenience.

However if I had to take an option between active flying with a world designed around it or the WoD-SL design I know which I would choose every day.

As a side note, I’m somewhat disappointed that DF isn’t super vertical floaty avataresque islands, as that is what I was personally hoping for since back when it was announced in cata/MoP in Wrathion dialogue.

Everyone I know loves Dragonriding.

Maybe you’re just allergic to fun.

4 Likes

the only thing that’ll suck on dragon riding is when you start farming herb. Other than that I do like how dragon riding work. It’s also faster than your normal mount

You are joking, right?

This is EXACTLY the compromise i would have went with back during WoD.

I’m loving DR. I just hope they would be willing to transfer it to our own mounts eventually.

2 Likes

So last night, I jump on one toon and get maybe 2 or 3 dragon skills unlocked. Tonight, I log into another, and all the progress is still there. Just plow through the glyphs as soon as you get the dragon and you’ll never have to do it again.

Honestly this is a good point. Blizzard should make a system of autopilot routes for players. Maybe they could use flying mounts and we could even call them flight points. What do you think

Not on the dragon isles.