Dragonriding Is A Terrible Idea

Congratulations, you took flying and managed to make it suck. Honestly. You could have just invented such and such a reason and said “Your normal mounts won’t work here but our drakes have agreed to fly you around.” and then just given us customizable mounts. That would have been enough. That would have been more than enough, honestly.

But dragonriding itself is incredibly inconvenient. If you’re trying to explore/find something on the map, you’re going to run out of speed and be forced to land.

If you’re a miner or herbalist? You’re going to run out of charges faster than they regenerate landing, gathering, then trying to take off again.

Get rid of dragonriding and just let us fly like we have since Burning Crusade, Blizzard. Don’t try to reinvent the wheel.

The only part that doesn’t suck out loud is the time trial and racing mini games. Keep those in but as far as general purpose flying around? We didn’t ask for this and nobody wanted this.

267 Likes

Dragonriding is much better than normal flying. I hope it becomes the norm for all flying in the future

494 Likes

It’s so much better, though. :dracthyr_yay_animated: After collecting all the glyphs (takes maybe an hour, hour and a half) you get massive amounts of vigor or whatever for maintaining a high speed, and it’s account-wide.

139 Likes

Normally we’re on ground mounts for months. These dragons are as fast on the ground, and can cover half a zone in seconds when able to fly, which gets longer and longer as you skill it up. It’ll never make the drama queens looking for any excuse to have a big cry happy, but who cares what they think?

134 Likes

Huge skill issue. I’ve gotten to every place I wanted to.

109 Likes

It’s kinda fun after a while. It’s taking me a while to get used to the mount animation. It still feels like someone just flew in and landed behind me.

25 Likes

it is actually kind of sucky, I think they should have put all the work into regular mounts, I hope it doesn’t interfere with my questing in dragon isles.

35 Likes

I can tell you now that I totally HATE this Dragon Riding crap! I have the whole tree filled and it still SUCKS!!! Give me regular flying I would never use a dragon mount again it is so completely frustrating to use! It is so bad that I am probably not going to play much in the future in the expansion!!! Of the 30 or so other people that I have been chatting with the vast majority do not like it. GIVE US OUR REGULAR FLYING MOUNTS BACK!!!

73 Likes

I really, really think that everybody who doesn’t love it needs to finish unlocking all the glyphs/upgrades. :dracthyr_love_animated:

60 Likes

Doesn’t really work for the map design. Things are all over the place vertically and there isn’t ground options to reach most of it. So you’re forced to use the dragon riding for the vertical. And how late things show up on your mini map makes it a very annoying game of fly around, locate it, fly around again for the right altitude and hope your lucky enough to not have to wait for vigor to get to something above you.

21 Likes

If you need the glyphs/upgrades to make it good then newsflash: it’s not good. Baseline it sucks.

If it had been made well then baseline would have been good, and upgraded would be awesome.

Regardless the point is that this entire serves no purpose. It wasn’t necessary and nobody wanted it. The customizable mounts are cool, but not the riding part where you can stop and hover in midair and fly around however you want.

48 Likes

It’s an hour of flying around. Also progression is kind of a core mechanic with this game.

40 Likes

If it takes an hour flying around with the dragonriding? It would have taken half the time with the normal flying ability that we’ve had now since Burning Crusade. Enough said.

Dragonriding is bad, it’s needlessly overcomplicated and inconvenient compared to what they could have and should have done: just give us the customizable drake mount and have that be the only mount we could fly on for whatever contrived reason they came up with until patch 10.1 or 10.2. But fly normally. Not this crap.

42 Likes

Why have you switched to this character to post this thread? : |

4 Likes

The fact we can fly, even just a pseudo-fly, on day one of an expansion is a glorious development and I’m not ready to complain about its quirks just yet.

This is a complete 180 from no mounting in the Maw, which is a good thing. Hopefully the trend continues.

51 Likes

That right there is the key issue.

Blizzard doesn’t like normal flying in general, but the two things they hate the most about it are the helicopter aspects: the vertical lift off that has no CD, no limit, instant get out of jail card, on the one hand, and the neverending hover. Both break the game from Blizzard’s perspective. Of course, from many players’ point of view, these are the most attractive aspects, precisely because it allows for surgical, focused play that is very efficient. This is why there has been this kind of war with Blizzard about the flight issue since WOD. Blizzard doesn’t like normal flight, they think the mechanics of it break the world game. DR is just the latest way (and the most creative one so far) they have come up with to toss the players a bone while not giving them the core aspects of the normal flight functionality that Blizzard finds most offensive.

And the flying war goes on, as it has since WOD.

I personally don’t mind DR, but of course it isn’t like normal flying – we knew it wouldn’t be. I would prefer normal flying, too, but I also know that we are never going back to the system of hitting max level and just buying fly everywhere and that’s that. Blizzard simply doesn’t want us to play that way.

25 Likes

Yep, and you will also going to explore a lot faster.

Yes, and the market prices will take this into consideration.

Agreed, this is due to a pet peeve that is exclusive on the dev side. They find normal flying boring.

7 Likes

I’ve only collected a few glyphs so have almost nothing unlocked, but so far I love dragon riding. It’s so much faster than a flying mount and feels more fun to use. And like others have pointed out, we get this on day one of the expansion instead of being locked behind a 6-12 month time gate and lengthy campaign.
I honestly wonder if the people who don’t like it just don’t understand how it works. They might say they do, but I don’t think they do.

The only annoying thing I’ve run into so far is that because many herbs are at the top of pillars, I do run low on vigor if I try to collect them. But honestly I’m not really going out of my way to get them yet anyway so it’s not a big deal.

Also, in case you did not know, you can still either use your normal ground mount (or your dragon!) or in the case of my druid, travel form. You still regenerate vigor even if you aren’t on your dragon. The zones in DF are bigger to account for dragon riding, but even with the bigger zones it’s so much faster.

Why would you want a slower, less fun, inferior in almost every way flying mount when you can call your dragon and be at your destination in 10 seconds?

21 Likes

You know you upgrade it as you go right?

2 Likes

Man, the bew system is great, you are just bad at videogames. Dragonriding is way better than the regular noclip flying.

15 Likes