Dragonriding Is A Terrible Idea

Funny enough I made about 5 threads about this

Dragon riding allows leveling zones to have vertical designs while also making the player put some thought into where they’re traveling rather than “press button, hover infinitely.”

It’s one of the best additions they’ve made to the health of this game and means we’ll have vertical questing zones implimented in the future going forward.

2 Likes

I don’t really mind dragonriding being what it is, but regular flying is so much more convenient that dragonriding becomes an annoying chore if all you want is to do is go from point A to point B, and they’re farther than 2 full vigor runs.

It should have rewards or additions beyond being a mere contrived movement mechanic to be more embraced as “the new flying”.

Since they wanted to force it in, a good compromise (which should have been done ages ago), is to get some sort of pause button or very fast loading into the game, which is the number one reason I miss flying:

Need to stop and do something real quick IRL? Fly up a bit, you’re safe now. Return and you’re instantly back in the game. As opposed to 20s for a logout (or alt+f4) + 20-60s of loading.

9 Likes

Well said.

Let me also add that it should be a choice. Player agency is what made WoW rise to the top.

:100:

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

12 Likes

Eh, I don’t mind it. It really does take some getting used to, though. I’m curious to see how much of a difference a fully unlocked skill tree makes.

I installed a handynotes for all the glyphs and found them all once I had unlocked dragonriding. Vigor and the like is no longer really a factor. Perhaps give it a try at its full potential.

2 Likes

3 abilities is overcomplicated? I’d hate to do group content with you - as others have probably already told you.

Old adage applies: get good.

1 Like

Bad takes from Moon Guard. News at 11.

2 Likes

Get glyphs.

Not being able to just skip everything you want to skip over ian’t bad.

It was a bit tacky at the start but once I got used to it, its so much fun. Reinventing flying this way was def worth it. Also definitely need some skill on managing vigor and gets better with each unlocks.

2 Likes

Then I guess every MMORPG and RPG sucks.

3 Likes

Woah now, don’t lump me in with this fool.

3 Likes

I.think its great after you get glyphs and you get flying right away and dont have to wait for stupid psthfinder achieve

3 Likes

100% disagree. Dragonriding is one of the most fun things they have ever added to this game. I’m enjoying it quite a bit actually. Perhaps you should practice it a bit like I did. I’m thinking you put more time and effort into writing this post than actually practicing Dragonriding.

When I first tried it ya it was awkward. But literally all it took was a few minutes to figure how to flap in the right places it was a…breeze.

6 Likes

This is false.

I didn’t ask for it, sure. I didn’t know I wanted dragonriding though. It’s so much better than normal flying in many ways. For just floating in the air though - yes, it’s not good at all.

I really like the dragonriding. I don’t mind the tree to unlock all the things (seems much more attainable than the crafting trees to me).

I’m usually very critical of new systems for an expansion. I’ll be critical of this one too IF they leave it in dragonlands and don’t take this to other aspects of the game. It’s very good and gets better once you get the hang of it.

5 Likes

Dude, if you need brain, just go and get one.
It’s not a system design problem, you lack off skill, it’s that simple…

2 Likes

It’s like they combined flying, flight paths, flight whistles, and gliders and combined them and… it’s surprisingly worse than all of them.

14 Likes

When you learn how to do it, it’s actually pretty fun. If you’re like me I was in the beta for weeks and was “lazy” and thought i was doing it right… i wasn’t. I finally watched a 5 minute tutorial video and after about 20 mins of practicing it was 100x better than me just muddling my way through it thinking I knew what I was doing with it.

After you max talents and you get the next drake where you can barrel roll + surge forward and have max vigor and vigor recharge rate… it’s crazy fun to me.

as soon as you get your first drake i highly recommend putting “leveling” on pause and go get all the dragon riding glyphs, you can do this even at level 60, watch a video on youtube that shows you where all the glyphs are. this is priority #1 before doing anything else!

3 Likes

Man, people could be given the world and people would still complain. Dragonriding is without a doubt the coolest thing blizzard has done. Not only is it faster than normal flying, but its more engaging and you just get it around 45 minutes. Theres no max level campaign, no rep requirements, no achievement requirement, its UPGRADEABLE, and customizable. I’m sure I missed something too. Theres 0 room to complain.

9 Likes

Im not a fan of the new flying stuff either.

Its kind of a turn off to even play the game now.

9 Likes