Dragonriding Is A Terrible Idea

I have one simple question: Can you get anywhere you actually need to on a regular ground mount?

2 Likes

As someone who mains a hyper-mobile class (warrior), I love how fast I can get places now. I don’t have to run through a bunch of trash mobs to get to quest bosses or herbs. Dragonriding is superior to normal riding and I’d like for it to be available in the entire world, with the caveat that you can use normal riding if you so prefer.

2 Likes

Many people looked forward to it. Tons of people like it.

Unpopular opinion time: I’m glad this is gone, and I kind of hope it stays gone forever. It’s made players selfishly swoop in for treasure or other gains, while other players had to work or fight to get to said treasure or gains. It’s made former flight players carelessly train mobs on others players who couldn’t simply helicopter off. And it’s made the open world lazy and boring.

If Blizzard brings back helicopter style flight, I hope they hide treasure and puzzles in caves, water, or underground (it IS treasure, after all). And, I hope that they hamper gathering and ganking in some way as well. Helicopter flight in WoW is an easy mode that needs to go.

/unpopular opinion

4 Likes

Oh I understand, for those people I’d recommend getting a gaming mouse. They can bind the skills to other buttons on the mouse.

1 Like

I have to agree. I’ve taken a week off work for the last 6 expacs and the two before that I spent plenty of time on. Of course, I also took this week off as well and was excited to get started. However, I don’t like the dragonriding drake - esp as a druid. I have over 400 mounts and now I get to use this trashy looking thing everywhere (yeah yeah, its customizable, I don’t care - I don’t like it).

Personally I can’t stand dragon riding. Apparently I’m supposed to go get all the skill increases to make it enjoyable, but this is the first expac I’ve actually logged off to play other games during a WoW release. One saving grace is I waited for the one year sub, which I almost bought for the mounts.

I’ll get to level cap, I always do, but this waiting 2mins between being able to fly is just asinine and I use my ground mount unless absolutely necessary. I really don’t like to be a “negative Nancy” - I’m usually defending the game, but this is just trash. I’m not sure how replacing a flying mount that can fly with a glider is a feature, but whatever, it seems I’m outnumbered here- mob rule and all. :man_shrugging:

12 Likes

Let me add my voice to those of the dissenters. I can see how Dragonriding could be fun for a lot of people, but for a casual like me that wants to get from Point A to Point B with little effort, this is a hassle.

The Pathfinding Achievements broke this game “for me.” I didn’t think it was possible to break it any further, but Blizz managed to do so. There was absolutely nothing wrong with purchasing flight once hitting max level.

I sincerely hope that there will be an option to fly normally shortly in the future. I would hate to have to use Dragonriding as a gatherer wanting to farm herbs and mining.

13 Likes

Once you get the hang of it, you can get from Valdrakken to anywhere in Dragon Isles in less than 2 minutes via dragonriding.

Dragonriding can also be used to travel short distances of less than 100 yards. It’s quite easy to use for mining and herbing, except for nodes balanced on the sides of cliffs that you have to land on to gather from.

It’s not hard. But it may take a few days of practice. Once you get used to it, many players wonder how they ever managed with just regular flying.

2 Likes

So get some glyphs and upgrade your dragon if you’re having such a hard time getting around. They’re not going to get rid of dragon riding just because you don’t want to spend a couple days figuring the whole thing out. That’s ridiculous.

You want your old mounts back? Well, you can still mount them but you’d be stuck on the ground. You have flight paths. Step to it.

You clearly haven’t maxed out Dragonriding (it takes like 2hrs maximum so long as you have coordinates or an addon and it’s actually pretty fun). I did some mining and fishing today and I never had to wait for vigor. I’m sure there are some convoluted scenarios where you use up all your vigor quickly and need to wait for it, but common stuff does not leave you starved for vigor.

3 Likes

I don’t mind it. I think that having flying in some capacity right away, but needing to be careful about how/when you use it is a fair trade off. I have yet to upgrade my skill tree but so far so good.

Maybe after getting a plant/mineral node they could refund some vigor or something? I have not tried farming materials on it yet.

Not saying there isn’t fun aspects of it.

I think the biggest problem is the mini map. First, things show up too late. Especially at speed. But mostly it’s that they disappear way to easily. Just making objects stay on the mini map once discovered would go a long ways to alleviating some of the frustration.

1 Like

Dragonriding is amazing I think the people who can’t understand it or do it properly need to evaluate their intelligence. It is so easy I just cannot comprehend how people cannot do it.

2 Likes

NGL I am having so much fun with it. Could it use some refinement? Sure. But I hope they keep it forever and add it to the old world.

I think a compromise might be letting both old and new flying available. They both have benefits and drawbacks. New flying is much faster but has less height and can find itself limited. Old flying is slow but basically allows you to no clip reality.

I’ve always loved flying and have been anti delayed flying since WoD. I am so glad we get flying from the started and it feels so good. I can understand some frustratrations but I am surprised at how much I am enjoying it.

I want to use it in the old world so bad and I just feel super sad when I go to the old world and I am stuck no clipping and moving like a snail.

3 Likes

They struck a balance to have flying during leveling but without letting people bypass content by just hovering over quest objectives and taking off again to hover over other objectives.

I hope they expand the system to our other mounts in future xpacs.

Dragon riding is one of Blizzard’s best decisions in the history of the game.

6 Likes

No dragonriding is superior in every way. Sky swimming should go the way of the dinosaur.

9 Likes

Dragonriding is some of the most fun I’ve had in years with this game. You can have your take, but IMO? In terms of innovation for this game, I think it’s a hit. Really lovely and fun to have lean-sensitivity and physically reactive controls for moving through a new, huge, aesthetically pleasing place. Rather than statically flapping through an environment, it tests my ability to weigh actions and reactions, feel where I’m going, and excitedly manage my travelling opportunities. If a dead grind through a place is what you want, that’s cool, but Dragonriding as a new tool for a new place has been nothing but fun. Perhaps consider touching some in-game grass if the wind mechanics aren’t satisfying you? :face_with_peeking_eye:

7 Likes

I’m stuck on the tutorial, I can’t get through the rings. The whole things is so frustrating. I am not having fun. I hope this game won’t make me wait for things to recharge and glide to get around. Even if that isn’t the case, I don’t enjoy racing-through-rings minigames. I find them annoying and I really hope I didn’t pay upfront for this.

I am very unhappy with this direction.

8 Likes

I love it. You do know without it you would be on a ground mount forever and a day, yeah?

1 Like

Right now, if that means we get to fly eventually, it’d be worth it.

2 Likes

Dragonflying mechanics is far superior to normal flying and I DO hope they convert it across the whole game. I have unlocked all the glyphs and I feel it’s perfect heck even feels overpowered with the speed you get and vigor regen jetting across a map.

2 Likes