Dragonflight "Pathfinder" issue

The odd things about design decisions like this is it doesn’t force people to engage with content they normally wouldn’t it just makes people unsubscribe–so it’s a perplexing business decision as well. I just don’t get it, I really don’t. I’d like to hear someone at Blizzard explain it.

I can’t believe people are arguing for Pathfinder. I have suggested on the support app in game , that flying should be revamped and maybe be given by a series of quests from Khadgar in each zone, simply because for example, nobody has the time anymore to gain faction with everybody in Battle for azeroth, when they are leveling rapidly anymore. You would be level 70 in BFA messing around with Highmountain faction rep still. Heck if Khadgar is too busy, delegate a lesser character to do the job, winks.

Same the way mine was made with hard plastic it was impossible to use a mouse with it on, my problem is that the main joint that gives me problems is my thumb at the very base, if I had surgery it’s a case of it might work or you’re going to be in even more pain and possibly not having any use of my thumb.

How very odd that you define disliking a bad decision that has since influenced game design in every expansion and has probably been responsible for the loss of more customers than any other one decision to be “hate and anger”.

Attempted removal of flight followed by dramatic restrictions on flight since then are a sign of the continuing resentment against the playerbase that rejected that decision. You can attempt to reframe it as an organic change, or one that didn’t influence players in every expansion that made players earn flight with a long list of requirements. But it’s not, even if you want it to be.

I look at a game that is a shadow of its former self because of changes that didn’t have to be made, and you are still blaming the playerbase because in your world view there are still too many people playing, and you need to help blizzard fix this by convincing most of the playerbase to leave.

I get it. You think you’re an employee who will get a pat on the head for this. If your favorite restaurant went vegan, would you throw a tantrum about other patrons who are complaining that their favorite food is no longer on the menu? Would you continue to support the restaurant and eat there? Would you complain that the new menu, which the restaurant is continuing to use, was a “one time change”?

Blizzard is a for profit company. When they make a decision that causes half of their playerbase to leave, and continue to iterate on that decision for many years, burning out more and more of their paying customers, you blame people who want to have fun playing videogames.

You act as though you think you are getting paid by the number of customers you are driving away. This is a game. It’s not supposed to be fun.

You aren’t even good at forum PvP.

2 Likes

Thanks for the good work! I’m loving dragon riding and I think it’s the best thing added to WoW in years.

4 Likes

Look, I dig dragon riding. Like a lot. But i have no idea why pathfinder is even still a thing in this game.

It feels like a worn out experiment that’s run its course.

We already have access to flying. Why gatekeep the old flying?

And who’s to say they won’t end up put dragonriding behind an X.2 patch in the future?

Pathfinder is kind of dumb.

3 Likes

Agreed - it seems quite arbitrary to me that the “less desirable” form of flying is being locked behind a barrier when the “more desirable” form of flying has been out all xpac since the first few weeks.

I can kind of short of see an argument for Pathfinder (but still don’t agree) in previous xpacs since “it encourages exploration via ground mounts” but in DF we’ve already explored everything via flying - why keep a different type of flying locked? Especially when its something people want (and doesn’t change anything).

5 Likes

Its just blizzard being redacted, like you said it makes entirely no sense… to lock the slow flying with pathfinder when we have faster flying…

Trying to imagine Blizzard the restaurant.

“Have steak! And buy this fork and knife that go really well with steak for $25!”

“We never meant for you to have steak, so we’re not going to be serving steak anymore from here on out. We are all burgers, all the time, with steak on special occasions, none of which come to mind at the moment. By the way, would you like buy our steak-enabled cutlery? It’s only $25…”

“Apparently a bunch of you stopped showing up for dinner, so you can have steak again. But you have to do jumping jacks before you can eat it because steak is bad for the type of restaurant we want to run. Please feel free to buy the cutlery. The price is the same. $25. We will take the jokes about denying you steak that we had inserted into the menu…”

“Yes, you can have steak, but you have to wait for year to do the jumping jacks. Did you see this new steak knife we rolled out? Totally worth $25.”

“You still have to do jumping jacks - and now push-ups - before you can have steak after a year. And new steak cutlery will be released every six months.”

“We totally broke the steak delivery system by making you go through the drive-thru every time in the name of our immersive dining experience. We will give you steak eventually, after you do jumping jacks, of course, but first we’re going to open a new ghost kitchen which doesn’t allow steak at all before we give you steak, with jumping jacks, again. You’re welcome to buy the cutlery, but it ain’t gonna work until you can eat steak again.”

“Have nu-steak! We’re all about the nu-steak now! No jumping jacks! Unless you want old steak, which is totally not as nice as nu-steak. You gotta do jumping jacks for old steak, so you will properly appreciate old steak after a year of eating non-stop nu-steak. Enjoy! And have you seen this new cutlery…?”

4 Likes

On top of that I like the people that come back at those of us that dislike pathfinder with “dude you just have to play the game”.

No you have to play the game to earn select things like exploration. I want the flying to explore, after I see everything on ground mounts that’s it my need to explore is done.

Then on earning two or I guess it’s renown now (which that’s funny people say they hate earning rep so blizz smirks and says well it’s renown now)…

If you just want play for fun (weird saying that about a game) maybe I’m bored with a certain faction so I don’t get their renown up. Maybe I want to spend my time playing other content …so how am I not playing the game again with the pathfinder defense everyone uses?

4 Likes

None?

1 Like

I am very angry my druid cant fly. It totally contradicts having flight form for farming herbs. had more fun stealthing mining nodes when I did not know druids herb. Kills the whole class and I think it was a very bad idea to stop them flying and I don’t give a darn if bots could use it, kick those son a guns out of the game and let me play my class!
RAWR!

1 Like

Exactly this. My best friend doesn’t have great control for Dragonriding and when we play together, I fly her everywhere. I also frequently used to fly her places in the previous world content. That was most of my reason for making a Sandstone Drake, to fly her places.

She’s been my bestie for over 40 years and if I have a way to not leave her behind, I’m not going to leave her behind.

Angry is a strong word for me, but I miss my Puffyowl (the class mount) SO MUCH! :cry: I love Puffyowl form.

What is the impossible barrier with RA specifically? How is your friend able to play the game in the first place if Dragonriding is too difficult? Dragonriding is way easier compared to using character class abilities to complete fetch quests – go kill 20 something the way you’re describing the inaccessibility. Dragonriding, press space bar, press another key to flap, point mouse and go fast.

I’m just asking and no I’m not unaware of RA or ignorant.

Sorry for the comically late response, I am the friend in question.

Short answer, I don’t. I have a foot pedal and a bunch of macros. I play high survival characters, like protection paladin, blood death knight or BM hunter. i used to play a demo warlock A Lot but the change from pet-tanks-and-does-damage to pet-summon-buttonmash-minigame closeted that character.

4 Likes

Again, sorry for the comically late response. I quit for awhile because of a flareup.

There’s no ‘impossible’ barrier.

There’s a pain threshold.

With normal flying, you point your mount and press autorun. that’s the end of the interaction.

With dragonriding you have to almost constantly manipulate the mouse and play a buttonmashing minigame for the duration of your flight.

Just normal typing is painful, the three responses i’ve spent time on tonight have cost me a fair chunk of my pain threshold, but I want to make sure to clear your ignorance up

For “kill 20 mobs” i walk over to where the mobs are. tab target and hit my footpedal till they’re dead. do it again till done. it’s slow, and adds to the ‘pool’ of pain i’m dealing with but adds it slowly because it’s not requiring fine motor control or constantly gripping the mouse.

i’m able to ‘play the game in the first place’ because normal play is a barrier i can get through and play for a long enough period to accomplish goals before it becomes too painful to continue.

dragonflying adds to that pool at a significantly higher rate.

i hope that helps you and that you have a wonderful life!

6 Likes

It’s a good question. I really don’t understand it, especially for this expansion. If there was a satisfactory answer, I’d give it. But I don’t see one. “Just because” I guess. They probably figure it’s more money to extend the time requirements, means you have to stay subscribed and play X amount of hours to achieve something so simple that could just be bought for Gold as it was during WoW’s Golden Age. They probably figure your friend, and any like him, are worth losing based on their formula of making people play for certain things. It’s sad and it’s weird but it’s where we’re at, I guess.

2 Likes

They have to follow you around for the time you are both logged on. That doesn’t work for everyone.

3 Likes

This post has a lot of malice and forethought, sprinkled with some phased plasma.

1 Like

it called ‘ego’.
Evidently his hasnt subsided, so pathfinder it is.

He’s an intelligent man. Obviously.
So just as obviously he KNOWS THIS Pathfinder pretty much only really affects lesser abled players. WE all been dragonriding since an hour after release.

He gives US dragronriding day one for an hours worth of easy questing.
Then those who had trouble with dragonriding he takes out his pathfinder vengeance on for daring to not have the same physical prowess the rest of us have.

Pretty disgusting, if you ask me.

3 Likes