Dragonflight Alpha Thread

id… yeah I got to agree they look waaaaay too ‘Cats’ to me as well. Also had a problem over how uwu the centaur and gnolls look now, gimmy some uggo/cool dudes man! I’m also trying to personally think of how I could fix this but i’m just… id… eaugh. the hair and beard options also look… man I don’t know a proper word for it, so i’m just going to go with ‘wew lad’

2 Likes

Art is most definitely subjective and while the models are well done, I do have to echo Omegaru independently here.

My first thought at looking at the new Gnoll model was definitely “Himbo”. That having been said, it’s hardly surprising WoW’s opted for that direction artistically considering their first true rival is basically The Bold And The Beautiful: The Game.

1 Like

Weirdly, I feel like the Dracthyr might be the first time where I actually do not have to hand it to the art team.

Yeah, they’re smooth, they’re clean, they’re high-def and polished. But they’re so…plain. They’re too clean. Their proportions are too realistic. I know that Blizzard is trying to demonstrate how hip ahd progressive they are to damage control their many atrocities, but it comes at the expense of the Blizzard trademark style.

Overwatch had goofier proportions, more expressive aesthetics, more exaggerated motion and style. This looks like a Sim who blew all their money at a Spirit Halloween Store.

4 Likes

This is why I can never play a Vulpera. Desert environments wear you down. Where are the dusty, sandy, worn, rough looking Vulpera who actually look like they come from a desert? I was looking forward to Kul Tiran, but even the ‘scarred up’ version just looks too nice.

I have always liked the art style in this game but I’d like the options for characters in this game to include skins that don’t shine.

Even Orcs, Azeroth’s resident brutal player-race, don’t offer up a truly rough-looking option.

4 Likes

I feel like it’s the Overwatch affect.

A lot of people I knew that weren’t into Blizzard games, let alone FPS games got really into Overwatch and the draw was the characters and their designs which really drew in people. Seems like WoW is trying to lean into that these days which sows some division when you are used to the 80s cartoon metal dad art style the game started out with.

I actually don’t mind the Gnolls for example, think it’s a nice glow up but after these recent reveals I actually dislike the Dracthyr forms more. I was indifferent to them at first and disliked the Visage forms the most but their heads are so tiny!! It’s not as noticeable if they have horns but yikes without them they got tiny ant heads!!

I’m just so underwhelm with them. The visage forms are just recycles from existing races instead of just creating a unique humanoid visage form altogether. The dragon forms are fairly bland and have tiny heads!

Otherwise still lots of other things for me to be excited about.

2 Likes

Not sure how I feel about the new Horde Boats being aggressively Blood Elf style.

While I do like the new Night Elf boats the Alliance got, I almost feel like we should have got the Blood Elf style Eagle prowed boats and the Horde gotten the Night Elf Boats slightly tweaked to being Nightborne boats. Mostly because I feel like post this latest Factional conflict, the Nightborne and Suramar would probably become the largest naval power/port the Horde have access to in the wake of the losses taken by the Forsaken and Zandalari.

I agree that Surammar would likely become a major port city for the Horde but doesn’t necessarily mean they have the capabilities to start building ships. Gondolas on the other hand :thinking:

THE MIGHTY GONDOLA FLEET IS READY TO SERVE THE HORDE!

I like the new ship glow up but I think the Horde symbol on the Blood Elf ships seem a little outta place. The Night Elf ships don’t have a big ol lion on them for example.

8 Likes

I just want to say I love the name Norman for a gnome, it’s just so… normal.

2 Likes

You laugh at our gondola fleet but one day those little boats will carry us to world domination!

:canoe:

9 Likes

To be fair, Galakrond which is loosely based off of Ancalagon was defeated by a magic flying gandola so honestly you’re probably onto something. :thinking:

2 Likes

I’ll brook no quarrel with handsome Orcs. They have earned the right to feel pretty.

7 Likes

Yeah the orcs have been suffering from Bad Artist Syndrome long enough, let them look cool.

what do you mean :frowning:

I hate the new gnolls.

Rippling muscle-fur.

I may be in the minority but i really like the new direction they are giving the Gnolls. They were already in desperate need of a model update, and with the character they have been giving Gnolls in Hearthstone and Hogger in HotS the new look seems goofy and Loony Tunes to me in a good way.

1 Like

God I miss Wildstar

6 Likes

The housing in that game was SO good. I had mine set up so that the teleport pad was inside a hallway connected to the house. And half the yard was fenced in with walls and trees and bushes to make it look like a forest surrounding it.

sigh That was the best part of the game… crafting was garbage though.

I have never had more fun in any mmo with roleplay/pvp/pve.

Its housing is still imo the best of any game. Period.

2 Likes

Having a non-druid that can fly under their own power for the first time is kinda cool

https://www.wowhead.com/video-stream/231441-dracthyr-soar

1 Like