Dragonflight Alpha Thread

There’s an alpha patch out so we can do stuff like look at Argonian Drakonid Dracthyr customizations now

Let’s discuss it if you feel like it

1 Like

Dracthyr look like someone’s fursona drawn by an artist hired on fiverr.

11 Likes

Dracthyr look awesome to me, and I hope a character concept for one eventually comes to mind.

I’m glad of the precedent set by them having multiple body shape options, but for Dracthyr specifically, I honestly like the base/smallest one best. It looks sleek. I continue to wish that there were more race options to choose from for the visage form, but alas. And maybe someday.

They appear to have a ton of customization options, and I like that too.

I’m surprised to see that they’ve built the gear worn by your dragon form into the character customization menu, but honestly, that might be the best way to do it.

5 Likes

Very annoyed our mortal forms are human and Thalassian Elf. Was really hoping we’d be able to use any model with it. We have enough of humans and Elves. I’m warming up to them otherwise.

10 Likes

First post in the comment section nails it. The head is too small. If it remains this way, I’m not sure I can bring my nitpicky self to play it. That’s painfully awkward looking.

5 Likes

I foresee much Kobold lore from other games making its way into these races via the players.

Gonna be a lot of them running around with thighs thick enough to block the Maelstrom. For those of you who know, you know. For those of you who don’t, turn away from the abyss of cursed knowledge.

I am happy that the Dracthyr are blessed for options, but the inability to have any of our transmog options displayed on them is disheartening, and their being tied to a single class is also frustrating and sets a very dark trend.

Nobody wants a Black Desert Online situation where you can only be X Race/Y Gender/Z Class because of ‘artistic vision’.

1 Like

I didn’t know how I felt about the concept of Dragon Flying and if they’d get it right. But according to Taliesin, who’se been playing the Alpha for a few days now, and his demonstration in this video, it seems to be great fun!

2 Likes

Dragon riding looks fantastic but…I have zero interest in dragon riding.

I cannot stand large flying mounts in this game. I mainly use the red flying cloud, the little mouse and the little engineer rocket, on all my characters. The only larger mount I use, is the two-seat Obsidian bird thing.

It’s a personal opinion, so I hope for everyone who wants this, dragon riding is everything that people want it to be. For me? Not interested.

Bring on the professions.

6 Likes

Goodness over 8 mill customization’s, they’re making all the older races look like blinking chumps over here! Also to add to the customization ‘CoNfLiCt’ General chat is ‘spitting’ about: I’m… kind of meh, oh wow we get two options for decorating our dude, masculine and feminine \s. Is it hard to put in a slider in this game? is blizzard allergic to sliders? I know all the models in this game just swap out flesh textures to armor textures and maybe warp the model alittle and add some doo-dads so that’s even more work for the modeling devs out there.

Not to mention the wording of it, good job blizz… the only time you can get attention is get people with less IQ points than I have to bite on the bate and cry to the heavens and get the fanboys or whatever to clash into the forums and the twitter-verce, If I didn’t have all this blocked already I would of gotten a bigger headake. :weary:

“But Mike! You don’t even play this game any more! why do you care?” what? I’m not aloud to admire some of the work the tec and modeling team has pulled out? I do love the dragon flying stuff which looks pretty damn fun. Its also funny seeing the On-coming E-fight go on from all this in small doses.

Still not sold on this xpac. But I am glad to see all these new customization options are really bringing the community together.

1 Like

Really haven’t seen much that’s doing much to lure me back. And I’m on vacation - traditionally this is the time when I end up reinstalling WoW to binge.

I had a temptation last night, especially after thumbing through the Pathfinder 2nd Edition Core Rulebook I got for my birthday (and my cold, dead Elfophile heart discovered Pathfinder Gnomes and my imagination went alight). But then I actually thought about leveling an Alt, and what to do afterward.

I reinstalled Pathfinder: Kingmaker and made a Gnome Mad Dog Barbarian named Krun instead. He has a pet Mastadon and causes enemies to explode when he barrels into them thanks to maxing out my strength.

4 Likes

There are a few interviews out about it that also feel really dreary.

A lot of “we’ll try” and “we should” and “that’s something we’ll think about,” not a lot of “we did,” “we’re trying” and “here’s new improvements.”

To me, this feels like them throwing in the towel. They’re comfortable with their numbers and they don’t feel like trying harder. They want to move around enough stuff so it feels new enough to silence the complaints of the whales, but casual users won’t see any benefits because WoW is about retention now, not growth.

10 Likes

I mean, even with the steady decline of the past few years, it’s evident WoW remains a solid moneymaker for a company that hasn’t put out a new product themselves in 5 years.

Combine that with the rumored cash flow of Diablo Immortal (A million a day), and there’s really no incentive for them as a company to innovate or even risk upsetting the apple cart, as it were, with dramatic changes.

That said, Void Elf customizations along with freeing up some class restrictions suggest the cash flow has definitely tightened up and they’re looking to entice former players back. And I would say the new player experience was enhanced with the new Tutorial Zones as well as the ability to just play whichever expansion you wish.

1 Like

gharial switching posting mains here whoops

I like the dragon dudes because of how androgynous they are, but I dislike that the wings are always out.

I am more curious about talent trees for warrior and monk because they seem to be wanting to take a seemingly Better direction for classes, except for druid iirc

I really hope dragonriding works out, and that the mechanics are eventually (and optionally!) added to other mounts as well. I want to properly swoop around as a stormcrow.

On the same note, though, I hope that dragonriding won’t serve as an excuse to shut down other forms of movement/3D exploration. I love trying to find paths around and onto terrain features, so I worry that dragonriding will mean that everything above the PCs head will become utterly inaccessible because of sheer cliffs (and the occasional invisible wall or illogically unwalkable terrain) because “oh, we want you to use ~dragonriding~ AND ONLY DRAGONRIDING to get to that ledge!”

So I love that dragonriding is being developed as a way to get more player interaction with how they traverse the landscape - but I hope it doesn’t mean that Blizz will (continue to) purposely stymie other forms of exploration and movement (like creative jumping, DH glide, Heroic Leap/rogue’s grapple, and all the other fun skills).

2 Likes

Dragon riding seems to be heavily inspired by gw2’s gryphon mechanics, which for me makes me hope they steal more mechanics for mounts from gw2

roller beetle style races would go hard

3 Likes

Have a good questing/farming rogue build that’s super speedy (for a rogue, at least). Looking forward to warrior tree reveal.

Also, Evoker seems OP (not a shocker), more interested in it now after that being confirmed haha, seeing the talents etc. Not the biggest fan of the direction they went in looks-wise but play zoomed out and don’t really need to look at it, or anything up close.

I don’t care at all about Evoker as a class, but I am really excited for Drakthyr as a race. What can I say, I play this game nowadays for rp first and gameplay second.

4 Likes

The amount of customization options for Dracthyr is absolutely delightful, It’s certainly a highlight from my testing so far.

Another good thing of note is the amount of flavor text on quest items. In past expansions lately, there are gaps with it, but right now nearly every quest item I receive has good flavorful text and that’s something of massive benefit. I love flavor text, one of my favorite things in the game.

Dragon riding feels worse than normal flying for me at the moment. Obviously, it’s not fully upgraded and I still need to get used to it a bit. It’s fine or on par with flying a lot of the time, you can get enough distance to get to your next quest hub, but there are a few times where it didn’t seem like it’d be possible in the current state. It’s not the biggest hindrance and it surely beats out riding on the ground everywhere 100% of the time.

Yet I still wish I just had the freedom of normal flying, the ability to soar and float super high and get some nice screenshots which just is impossible with Dragonriding right at this moment for me. I do have hopes that in the future when we’ve got the full system to explore It won’t even be an issue.

Otherwise, it’s great. Some nice quests, aside from one I didn’t enjoy. The Azure Span is massive and it feels wonderful to traverse. I appreciate this aspect of world design.

5 Likes

Legs are too long

1 Like