Dragon riding is going to the old world

If they lock old world dragonflying behind a new pathfinder…

1 Like

Must not have looked too hard. Here is a random selection from literally just searching the term “air swimming” in the searchbar.

Random days, random people, random threads. Plenty more if you need additional examples.

8 Likes

I wish they’d just remove stamina and let us go nuts with the flying abilities.

1 Like

they should remove stamina from dracthyr

1 Like

lol some of those are from pre-launch?
no wonder i haven’t seen the references.

“air swimming” seems terribly uninspired, and doesn’t aptly describe the sensation of old world flight.

i like the marshmallow analogy.

so i’m gonna call it 'mallowing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You may already have this info, and have done this, so apologies if this has already been said.

Get one of the Dragonriding Glyph Locations addons, and go get all 56 of them before you do anything else.

Yes, it’s hard at first due to the lack of vigor, but you upgrade the Dragonriding talent tree as you go. Each talent in the beginning only costs 1 glyph, and you get more vigor as you add talents. (You have to do that part manually.)

It really does make a huge difference and once you have them all, you’ll feel a lot freer to go be a tourist and enjoy yourself. (At least I did.)

Good hunting.

3 Likes

it perfectly describes old world flying vs dragonriding you little snowflake.

1 Like

I think it’s apt. It’s the same kind of movement through a 3D space. Hell, when the game lags and you start flying before your mount appears your character literally does start swimming in the air!

2 Likes

dragonriding is air swimming

1 Like

Very nice! But this means that we won’t be able to hover and enjoy certain views from up in the air. They should enable both types of riding, I’d suggest. Esp. for people who can’t get their heads around Dragonriding for whatever reasons and struggle.

4 Likes

Dragon gliding should be something we leave in the dragon isles. Failed experiment. It should be renamed to headache simulator

2 Likes

Sounds like a skill issue

2 Likes

that is what the term “air swimming” should be reserved for.

actual air swimming.

1 Like

awesome dude.

If they remove stamina from the dracthyr, then they should also remove it from all the other races to make it even. If they only removed the dracthyr stamina, it would leave a race imbalance

:rofl: Old World Flying IS air swimming, not dragon riding

3 Likes

Yeah, dragon riding is air swimming. No real flying physics. I can float around for way to long for it to be realistic.

1 Like

The reason old world flying is called airswimming is because of how the game engine perceives the mechanism. Supposedly, the engine treats old flying and swimming like the same process. At least, that’s what the streamer who introduced the term to a wider audience said, which is now mindlessly parroted by people here who like to be told what to think without actually understanding it.

Those same people also like to use the word “no clip” to describe old flying, as if Blizzard somehow rewrote wall, tree and mountain physics just for dragonriding, when it’s just as “no clip” as old flying is.

3 Likes

The former is true, if the mount visual is delayed for any reason (typically connection or server lag) one can still fly, but the visual for it is literally swimming in the air, which can still happen today. That which is why is why it would have first been called that:

And as to the second, that has nothing to do with ‘rewriting physics’ but an ancient cheat command that let people pass through walls, that has continued to be used into modern gaming where it more commonly is used to allow flight in similar manner as regular flying in WoW (typically in games where you can’t actually fly as the player like first person shooters/rpg games), as an example, the ‘tcl’ no clip command in Skyrim:

Probably not true. I’m not sure if I’m the only one but, this could be seen as misleading.

1 Like