Dragon riding is going to the old world

The flight trainers of Azeroth have made their way to the Dragon Isles and are learning to Dragonride! In Dragonflight Patch 10.1, you can find them gathered within Zaralek Cavern, discussing their new experiences and adventures.

Veteran players may remember some of these characters from spots around Azeroth - Maztha of Ogrimmar, her counterpart Bralla Cloudwing in Stormwind, and Cloudrunner Leng from the Vale of Eternal Blossoms are all flight trainers who’ve helped teach us how to navigate the skies in the past. Now they’ve come to the Dragon Isles, alongside several Daring Drakeriders, to experience dragonriding for themselves!

While this could be a simple easter egg, it’s also fun to think that this might be a subtle message from the developers. They’ve frequently discussed the success of Dragonriding and their interest in carrying it forward beyond Dragonflight, in which showing the flight trainers embrace the idea could be a playful indication of their intent to expand the system to other parts of the game world.

No reason for Blizzard to do this except to introduce Dragon flying to the old world.

Source: WoWhead

54 Likes

if thats your source, prove it

7 Likes

If you doubt, go look…

7 Likes

got it. you have no source.

11 Likes

Not my fault you can’t be bothered to see for yourself.

18 Likes

Be a really good time as well to allow those who prefer regular flight to release that alongside it so those who want to dragon glide can do so and the others can fly their way.

44 Likes

easy to find. The source was right where Slade said it would be.

69 Likes

On the contrary, here’s to the players who are hoping for them to introduce “regular” old-world flying to the Dragon Isles! While still having Dragonriding available too, of course. :slight_smile:

47 Likes

Yep, options are the best way.
:+1:

21 Likes

Personally I don’t think dragon riding is anything more than a novelty. The fact is you can jump off the capital tower and get anywhere you want. But go back? Nah. Even though it’s super fast it’s inferior to regular flight and I’m hoping they don’t make a big deal of it much outside this expansion.

The people who are calling it flappy bird aren’t totally wrong. It is a dumb stamina-based headache that can only really go downhill. Hence I can go anywhere from the valdrakken tower but have to hearth my way back.

And if I have to go anywhere other than off the tower, I still often stall and fall and need to wait at least two minutes to get back up and try again. I often fail even on that second try.

So it is altogether a bigger headache than natural flying even if it is faster in certain instances it is altogether limited and rough to use as your only means of transport.

I mean I am literally flying off the tower then hearthing back. That doesn’t really sound like a quality system to me.

Edit: Before you blow me up, I am a returning player with less than a week at cap. I will be getting the glyphs and trying to make this all work. It’s kind of frustrating to a new player is all. Good gaming!

37 Likes

I was never given the opportunity to vote - when did this vote take place?

36 Likes

It hasn’t been confirmed this orc guy is just a troll that needs to be ignored only thing that is real are the old flight masters going to dragonisles as seen above.

15 Likes

well I wouldn’t be surprised if he was correct about them removing real flying and it will be a shame they want to ignore so many people for no reason.

7 Likes

:frowning: tell me who hurt you.

4 Likes

If you are running out of vigor doing anything then you’re playing wrong.

You can fly from the lowest point in the dragon isles to the tallest mountain starting with 1 vigor and no speed.

27 Likes

I think you’ll be able to swap between flying modes but removing old flying sounds like a terrible idea.

17 Likes

I would rather be able to fly regular in Dragon Isles then dragonfly in older content. I really really dislike dragon riding.

39 Likes

Well then forgive me if I ask you how do you do this? My dragon stalls the heck out anytime I try to do anything other than glide at a downward angle. Is it that I don’t have the tree anywhere near filled out? I mean if what you’re saying is true that’s a gamechanger but based on my experience I have not remotely thought anything “uphill” was possible. If I’m not in downward-angled “Speed” mode I’m stalling and falling pretty much within 100 yards of taking off. Please help, it’d be great to know what I am doing wrong, because I already know there’s a skill issue I just have no idea how to correct it.

10 Likes

As long as they update older flying mounts to Dragonriding mechanics, I’m all for it!

3 Likes

Definitely take an hour and find all the glyphs to fill out the tree. Very worth it. Doubles your vigor and increases its recharge rate.

Also while he’s correct that you can technically get anywhere with 1 vigor, you will be doing a lot of finagling to gain altitude early on in the flight. Better to just wait 20-30s for 2+ vigor. Then you really can get anywhere.

I find that extremely rare though, that I actually have to wait to take off. It’s only if I get back to back to back nodes and I’m being impatient and spending my vigor like crazy going from one to the next.

So long as they keep dragon riding going forward, I’ll be more than happy. Perfectly fine with regular flying returning as well, just keep dragon riding in the game. Ideally figure out how to extend it to the rest of our mounts (though that’s probably an extremely large ask).

4 Likes