Draenei Warlocks

I don’t know if you guys have seen the announcement but a lot of races are now able to become Warlocks, including Draenei. If you were in charge of Blizzard, what would you like their lore to be?

Some suggestions I’ve seen are that Man’ari Eredar go to work for Velen now that the Burning Legion leadership is broken, or that the Draenei manage to partially cleanse the Broken in order for this to happen.

2 Likes

I honestly don’t think they’re going to go addressed at all. Repentant eredar who want to redeem themselves after the Legion was defeated makes the most sense though.

10 Likes

I hope we get some actual lore on this.
New customizations like the Feltaurens and Eredars to go with it, instead of just allowing the combination and nothing else.

10 Likes

I hope they at least put in flavor NPCs since it’s a fairly controversial class combination.

Repentant Eredar, wayward Mages or scholars seem the likely scenario. I would like to imagine some Draenei being particularly sadistic in enslaving demons though particularly Lightforged, since we know they’re more aggressive than their non-LF’d counterparts.

I kinda hope they expand on the idea of what Lightforging truly means with this opportunity, since there’s always been a matter of contention for Shadow Priests being a viable combination. My headcanon is that becoming Lightforged purifies the heart from corruption but doesn’t necessarily mean they can’t wield a certain magic, so perhaps this can be an opportunity to explain that.

Although, I won’t hold my breath.

5 Likes

None. I’d rather create my own. I want my regular plain jane Draenei to have exhausted her patience with Valen’s string of failures and fight the enemies of her people in her own way.

5 Likes

Nothing they write will work if they go the Man’ari route. I think the Sargerei could work if they aren’t too far gone for redemption but hard no to the Man’ari.

1 Like

I’m more interested in the Mag’har justification. Considering Mag’har means uncorrupted in Orcish, mainly in reference to Fel corruption.

And becoming a warlock is one of the fastest ways of being fel corrupted. Even if you use it for ‘good’.

So are you really a Mag’har if you are a warlock? Even orcs that never drank the Blood of Mannoroth (i.e. Frostwolves) but still have green skin are not viewed as Mag’har. In fact AU Durotan and Draka were uneasy around Thrall for a while because he had green skin. Even though he was a shaman.

Then again, this is new blizzard. They didn’t even know what ‘Wild God’ Grommash killed in WC3 after all.

2 Likes

I feel so vindicated when I said Draenei should get Warlocks and Rogues years ago and people said, “They’re too good to be warlocks, it can never happen!”, “Their hooves would stop them from being sneaky, it can never happen!”

8 Likes

One time I had someone caps-lock yell at me that tauren can’t be sneaky because “THEY HAVE HOOVES” so I just replied with :socks:

8 Likes

Yes, because that’s your tribe just as Frost Wolf is another tribe or War Song, the Mag’har have undergone a lot of changes lately, one more isn’t going to be the end of the world.

I don’t think they were even using the term “Wild God” back in the WC3 days. As the Star Trek song goes though… “It’s been a long time, getting from there to here.”

But one in which makes them a living oxymoron? I think you missed the rest of my post. You tend to do that a lot.

3 Likes

Obviously traits of this nature aren’t ideal, like Lightforged Draenei and Mag’har Warlocks, but being able to make new lore explaining this stuff would be welcomed rather than simply turning them away at the door.

1 Like

I’d make them marked as hostile to Exodar/Sha’tar/Army of the Light NPCs.
Fighting these NPCs would flag you for PvP against both factions, and killing them would lower overall Alliance reputation until eventually you can’t go into your own cities. There is no way to recover it.
You would remain hostile to Horde.

That seems reasonable.

1 Like

The question is though, will Blizzard make it convincing. And how would they get around the obvious contradictions. Such as the literal meaning of the term Mag’har in orcish and the history behind its use.

I mean if an Orc like Thrall, who has never touched anything fel related and was born with green skin isn’t viewed as a Mag’har, why should warlocks be?

1 Like

I didn’t miss it… I ignored it. The Mag’har can call themselves the “pure” until their faces are blue. That’s not what I thought of them when they were butchering their next door Draenei neighbors in Outland.

They are brown skin orcs. Period, end of story, although I do think that the brown skin customization IS available to Orcs now. Don’t quote me on that it’ll be some time before I can check.

Mag’har is the name of a tribe no matter what the word itself means. Not even Saint Thrall himself can be counted as a Mag’har… because he’s a Frost Wolf.

1 Like

Facts > feelings. Mag’har means uncorrupted in relation to Fel magic. That has been a thing since TBC and WoD maintained it.

But the ones we play are from the AU and they come from different tribes. I mean they have 3 heritage armor sets that showcase that. An AU Frost wolf one, an AU Warsong one and an AU Blackrock one.

No, it is because he has green skin. Which is an early sign of Fel Corruption w.r.t. orcs.

'I’m just gonna pretend the facts presented here do not exist because they go against my pov".

3 Likes

I feel like Mag’har isn’t just literal about not drinking demon blood but it’s also cultural and a little spiritual.

At least that is how I feel about our AU Mag’har.

4 Likes

Yeah it would feel weird how they pride themselves on not being fel corrupted, yet they would allow warlocks (who use fel magic) into their ranks.

You can get fel corrupted second hand, which is what happened to the MU Frostwolves.

Nothing.

I’d demote whoever pushed for this change.

1 Like

All of the warlocks are being trained by a woman named Madam Shadow. That’s the lore for all of them. You team up with a Lightforged named Oman who says he’s doing it because “I survived the wreckage of my people, and I am determined to become stronger for it”, working not in opposition to the Light but alongside it.

Spoilers for the quest to get the new imp, which is also where the above lore is from.

Summary

madam Shadow is actually a dreadlord named Lord Banehollow. he was training the warlocks to consume their souls. You and Oman kill him.

4 Likes