Draenei Warlocks? You ARE kidding?!

end tht is jist a syentific fax

Which one is that?

Alcohol, especially beer is disgusting.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/omg-its-happening/1587044/10
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/new-races-coming-to-warlock/1587116

Blizzard don’t trust me enough to do links so alas. Prolly more I missed. People are stoked that the gates are opening.

1 Like

I know I am. Gonna RC to night elf or draenei probably.

Though works for me cuz my HC for Vel is she is a Banshee that just occasionally moves from corpse to corpse she’s possessing.

1 Like

Mag’har Warlocks are also pretty terrible. Their entire identity is resisting demonic corruption and staying true to their Orc traditions.

4 Likes

Blizzard themselves years ago said this. I wouldn’t use this argument if it wasn’t something Blizzard has said similar or close.

I’ve been playing this game about 19 years now. This was always the argument against it.

Q: Can you please explain how “light” works? The lore states that undead are physically incapable of using the light, much like the Broken, but then we have Forsaken players casting healing spells, and Sir Zeliek in Naxxramas using pseudo-paladin abilities.

A: Without spoiling too much, we can tell you that wielding the Light is a matter of having willpower or faith in one’s own ability to do it. That’s why there are evil paladins (for example, the Scarlet Crusade and Arthas before he took up Frostmourne). For the undead (and Forsaken), this requires such a great deal of willpower that it is exceedingly rare, especially since it is self-destructive. When undead channel the Light, it feels (to them) as if their entire bodies are being consumed in righteous fire. Forsaken healed by the Light (whether the healer is Forsaken or not) are effectively cauterized by the effect: sure, the wound is healed, but the healing effect is cripplingly painful. Thus, Forsaken priests are beings of unwavering willpower; Forsaken (and death knight) tanks suffer nobly when they have priest and paladin healers in the group; and Sir Zeliek REALLY hates himself.

Posted in 2010 CDEV Q&A:

Second post on the page.

That doesn’t mean they can’t be paladins, though. It just means it would be extremely painful for them when channeling the Light much like it does for priest. Ever heard of self-flagellation? That could be a compelling backstory.

Or they could just be a new breed of light-raised undead akin to Calia.

4 Likes

That is not saying the Forsaken will explode. It just hurts them, doesn’t cause them to explode.

4 Likes

Paladins are INFUSED with the Light. There is a difference.

It’s a huge difference between the way a Priest uses the Light and the way a Paladin uses the Light. Yes, I get it. You’re thinking about the gameplay and coolness factor of a Forsaken Paladin. I seriously want a Moonwalker version of a Paladin for Night Elves that’s like the polar opposite of what Sunwalkers have.

But at the same time: it needs to make sense in the lore.

Like, what I want can make sense. I’m sure players would like to have it justified in the lore. Does no one remember class quests?

We already have a Death Knight so a Forsaken Paladin can’t cannonistically use Death Magic to heal. Game mechanics wise, yes you are using Holy Magic to heal. Lore wise, I’m pretty sure it’s different magic depending on the race/culture.

I’m not certain if I’m explaining my opinion on this right.

It’s just got to make sense. There’s still a lot of people that know the story around here.

For example: shaman. I’m pretty sure each race uses the elements differently in lore.

Paladins aren’t infused with the light. There is no fundamental difference between a paladin and priest other than how they use the light in the field. The Silver Hand ceremony is that of a blessing (akin to giving someone a buff), not an infusion.

Of Blood and Honor (Chapter 2):

1. “Archbishop: In the Light, we gather to empower our brother. In its grace, he will be made anew. In its power, he shall educate the masses. In its strength, he shall combat the shadow. And, in its wisdom, he shall lead his brethren to the eternal rewards of paradise.”
  2. “Archbishop: Clerics of the Northshire, if you deem this man worthy, place your blessings upon him.
    One of the clerics comes with a blessed dark blue embroidered stole in his hands, which he placed reverently around Tirion’s neck. Then, he dipped his thumb in a small vial of sacred oil and anointed Tirion’s forehead.”
  3. “Archbishop: Knights of the Silver Hand, if you deem this man worthy, place your blessings upon him.
    Two of the armored men comes, the first laid the warhammer before Tirion’s feet. The second, Saidan Dathrohan, placed the silver plates upon Tirion’s shoulders.”
  4. “Each of the clerics and knights raised their right hands and pointed toward Tirion, empowered him with the holy light.”

Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (Part 1: Chapter 5):

1. “In the Light, we gather to empower our brother.”
  2. & 3) are similar to the 2) & 3) from above
  3. “Sweat broke out on Arthas’s brow. What was going wrong? Why wasn’t the Light wrapping itself around him in blessing and benediction?”

The rest of the book makes a point that the light flows through him or he’s channeling it etc. Same as priests.

1. Chapter 8 … “Maybe if he focused on fighting, on learning how to accept, and channel and direct the Light, he could get the hell over her. Over the girl he himself had broken up with”

Had he been infused, why would he need to learn to accept, channel, and direct the light? Seems like it’d only be directing.

• This ceremony is exclusive to the Order of the Silver Hand, which not all Paladins are a part of. There is no evidence to support that other Paladin individuals/races/organizations undergo the same process nor is it explicitly mentioned that it’s needed to become a Paladin.
    This is just a fact. Silver Hand was originally just Humans and Dwarves.
    Draenei became Paladins through the Naaru teaching them about the Light.
    High Elves had Paladins through normal worship of the Light, but briefly lost in after most of them renamed to Blood Elves and had to drain it from Naaru. With the Sunwell restored, the Blood Knights returned to embracing the Light like the originally did.
    Sunwalkers get the Light from basic worship of An’she, which is just a different form of the Draenei worshipping it through the Naaru and Humans/Dwarves through the Light itself.

The first Human Paladins were literally just Warrior + Priest
Tides of Darkness (Chapter 5)

1. “I will establish a new branch of the Church, the paladins. I have already selected the first candidates for this order. Some were knights before but others were priests. I chose these men for both their piety and their martial prowess. They will be trained, not only in war but in prayer and in healing. And each of these valient fighters will possess both martial and spiritual power, particularly in blessing themselves and other with the strength of the Holy Light.”

And just so you’re aware there is zero statement about the ORIGINAL paladins of the Church, mentioned above, having gone through the ceremony mentioned twice earlier. This implying that the ceremony was created afterwards, and that again it isn’t necessary for one to be a Paladin.

Wielding the light is a matter of faith. Paladins don’t have the light within them. It answers their call just like with a Priest. The only Light infused mortals are Lightforged Draenei.

And before you mention the ceremony that supposedly “removed the light infusion from tirion”, that ceremony is literally just a gaslighting ceremony to make the Paladin believe they aren’t worthy and therefore their faith (and thus ability to call to the light) is disrupted. It’s why it didn’t actually succeed as he was able to rekindle his faith later after a self discovery/reflection journey.

6 Likes

:flushed: :man_facepalming:t5: :upside_down_face: lmmfao !

What do you think we’ve been referring to every time this topic comes up? You’re entirely too hung up on the word “infuse” which is just a simple way to describe what they’re doing to themselves in combat.

They call upon the light to enhance their strength. THAT is what makes the combo a problem, not whatever ceremonial blessing you keep referring to.

2 Likes

You’ve never had a good beer. I was like you, once. Naive and full of assumptions.

Then i found gin.

I’ve seen nowhere in the lore that this is the case. Outside of Lightforged Draenei and maybe Blood Elves and the Sunwell, I’ve seen nothing that differentiates Paladins and Priests other than the application of holy magic.

Sir Zeliek, the Scarlet Risen, and Calia Menethil already paved the way for Undead wielding the Light. It just causes them extreme pain when doing so.

Holy magic is holy magic. It all comes from the same cosmological source. The difference is the race’s faith. The very CDev you’re quoting explicitly states that the Forsaken can wield Holy magic at the cost of extreme pain.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention Alonsus Faol, the founder of the Silver Hand, is an undead holy priest.

3 Likes

Imagine being born to that culture and having no choice. Well now you have freedom and choice to go against your culture. Mag’har is just a name.

That literally proves my point and not yours.

No explosions. Only pain which as they said can be overcome with faith.

You still have no proof that it would cause them to explode and not just hurt.

So I guess an undead instantly explodes when a priest casts power INFUSION on them.

It’s all rot. It tastes like rot and decay.

4 Likes

THEY’RE IN!

https://scontent.fhio2-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/349064774_1002068234488282_2699829986484847318_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=hRdOCrluKwMAX8wHymB&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio2-2.fna&oh=00_AfDoV6F6zmYlFyybuO2qir318LUUE8VhLBMA9dky12Rgjw&oe=6471DA2F

3 Likes

Realistically they should. Turn to ash more specifically, but yeah. Nobody ever claimed stuff that shouldn’t work doesn’t already exist ingame.

Team lore lost…. I actually had a bit of hope.

1 Like

I’m so excited!!!

Team canon won!

3 Likes