Dracthyr - Soar (Needs CD Reduction)

I’m pretty convinced dracthyr will replace druids as the de-facto gatherer if things launch as-is, at least for DF.

At the end Drac’thyr aren’t druids or worgen. They’re smaller dragons that might have difficulty to fly for long. Could they flip the switch and do it? sure. But if you want druid gameplay play a druid, same as worgen. I don’t think like dh they’ll go further as they want something new, not something we already got.

Idk man, Worgen can’t fly. Druid’s can’t fly outside of their bird form.
Still absolutely kills the fantasy of “playing a dragon” when you’re forced to ride another dragon.

But either way it’s kind of silly that a “perfect soldier for the dragonflights” can’t fly more than a little bit at a time… especially given who they were created to fight.

11 Likes

Now that I’ve actually watched videos from Asmongold and Bellular and seen Soar in action in their videos, it looks excellent as-is.

Sure a shorter CD would be nice, but this is an extremely powerful and fun ability.

Unlikely. Dragonriding isn’t really conducive to that. You take off and you go until you land. No stopping and doing any mid-air flower picking.

And everyone can do it free of cooldown with the special mounts. Dracthyr should be able to do it freely with their racial as well.

It’s just weird that a dragon race has to ride another dragon to get the full benefit of this system.

17 Likes

Just be glad you arent a death knight which all fantasy is mostly about mounted combat but never actually gets that realised. Its not like the top death knights are called the 4 horsemen or how invincible is one of the most lore heavy mount. Video game reasons often win over fantasy.

Agreed! This should 100% have a short cool down and multiple charges.

2.5 to 3 min recharge with 2 charges available.

If we could use it in combat or in raids then fine, but since it’s just a fun little thing they can do outside of those areas, it needs to feel fun. That means we need to have less time between being able to pull it off.

1 Like

I didn’t fully read up on this, but I assumed Soar to be dragonriding like how running wild and travel form (flight) are basically mount equivalents (including not activating in combat). Aren’t the only differences between the racial and dragonriding that you can’t upgrade the racial and you can also use it in old flying-enabled zones? If so then it doesn’t make sense to invoke a longer cd where you can use a dragonriding mount for a better everything.

IDK, maybe my opinion will change whenever I get to mess with it.

1 Like

It seems like the Dracthyr are the only race whose “racial mount” is limited to how often they can use it, and honestly it’s kind of annoying. In the Dragon Isles it should be unlimited. Even if it’s not upgradable like the Drake mounts, you should be able to use it whenever you like with whatever the base Vigor system is.

If it’s a case of it being too powerful outside of the Dragon Isles because Dragon Riding doesn’t exist there, just have it work like a normal mount. You use it, it launches you into a hover above the ground, and you can either fly up or fly around like a normal mount.

The cooldown just feels kinda awful. Gone would be best, but shorter would still be better.

8 Likes

Not quite.

Soar can be used in non-Dragonflight zones. Dragonriding is much more limited in where you can use it.

1 Like

It’s not a “racial mount”.

Racial mounts can be used on the ground and while flying. And they do not have cooldowns. Soar is class ability, not a mount replacement.

However, I do agree it would be nice if the limits on Soar went away and it got the full benefits of Dragonriding while in Dragonflight zones.

It would greatly improve the feeling of “playing a dragon” if your dragon didn’t have to constantly get on another dragon to use a major expansion system in the zones designed for that system.

Keep the 5-minute CD and basic dragonriding abilities for non-DF zones.

3 Likes

Yes, hence me putting it into quotes… because I know it isn’t an exact comparison. Unfortunately the air quotes expression we use doesn’t translate well to text, so I had to make due. As it stands though, it’s the closest they have to a racial mount. It would be like if Running Wild had a cooldown and you could only use it every 5 minutes.

Change it outside the Dragon Isles to be more fair, at least until Dragon Riding is brought to the rest of the world. That’s fine. IN the Dragon Isles though, it does zero harm to let us use it in place of our Drake mounts. Especially if it keeps the base, un-upgraded form.

Agreed.

I doubt they’ll do so though. With only 5-months till release I don’t think they have time to make any major changes.

Also, the devs probably spent a lot of time designing Dragonriding. It’s a big part of the expansion, and one of the major rewards players get as loot drops are aesthetic customizations for your dragon mount.

If they made Soar mechanically identical to Dragonriding a large portion of the playerbase wouldn’t experience this new system, and would find a lot of the loot to be meaningless.

1 Like

I do not disagree. That’s actually why I thought a good compromise would be making Soar permanent, but only ever at its base version. So it’s always like Dragon Riding when you first get it, but if you wanna use the extra special perks you need to hop on your Drake mount.

I would look at it like we as a person might be able to run as we are, but if we wanna get somewhere quickly, or much better than we could on our own, we’d use a horse.

A 15-30 second CD for the ability is more than justified.

It should not be something you are ignoring for the sake of using a standard mount that can be used at any time.

Let the player have fun.

10 Likes

And just like that their special ability becomes garbage. RIP dracthyr fun.

Simple solution: Cannot be used in combat.

8 Likes

the cd seems fine

I agree, CD on this is ridiculous

9 Likes

Agree, you should have full dragon riding while soaring and no CD to takeoff at all.

You can’t use it in combat, there is a 1.5s cast time like every mount in the game and you can’t use it on Arena/BG/Raid/DG… The CD only exists to make you feel that you are a dragon that needs to become a humanoid to mount another dragon.

9 Likes

…might be nice if they gave an ability like this to DHs at some point, so they could use their wings more fully too.