Dracthyr - Soar (Needs CD Reduction)

Soar - Racial

1.5 sec cast - 5 min cooldown

Muster your strength and launch into the air.

Cooldown begins when you land.

• Please reduce the CD of the Dracthyr racial so that it can be utilized more like a normal mount for them in the open world (outside of the Dragon Isles).

Principles of Soaring - Dracthyr Racial

Requires Evoker

While Soaring through the air, pointing yourself toward any given direction sends you in that direction.

Pointing yourself downward grants more momentum. Evening out can transfer that momentum forward.

Pointing yourself upward slows you down. When at your slowest, you will start to fall slowly toward the ground, forward and down.

You also gain access to the following abilities:

[Surge Forward]

Instant - 5 min recharge

2 Charges

Flap forward a short distance, gaining speed.

[Skyward Ascent]

Instant - 5 min recharge

1 Charges

Flap upward, gaining height at the cost of some momentum.

• These should also be reworked. Just as standard Dragon Riding can recharge its Vigor mid-flight, so too should Dracthyr be able to recharge their Surge Forward and Skyward Ascent. Please reduce the CDs of those in addition to the original Soar racial ability.
100 Likes

Watch the Talies and Evitel video about the soaring. Actually looks like fun

3 Likes

I agree, it’s absolutely fun.

Having a long CD on it sort of puts a damper on that fun though.

52 Likes

It is fun to use, but my first time using it on Alpha gave me the dreaded disconnection bug. Took me a few tries to get logged back in, but was able to use the ability properly afterwards. It doesn’t have the full Dragonriding capabilities that you can unlock with the dragons, but it does have the base elements to it. Fun stuff.

3 Likes

The racial really should have a CD reduction before launch.
There isn’t much of an OP factor to it given that it has a cast time like a standard mount, and it’s not infinite like a standard mount.

37 Likes

I fully agree. This feels like a big “fun detected”
They absolutely need to remove the cooldown and treat it like an actual mount.

I don’t see any real reason as to why it’s got a cooldown in general, the Worgen’s running wild doesn’t have a cooldown.

59 Likes

Worgen can’t take off into the air and break PVP stuff either with theirs though. That is the druid specialty.

3 Likes

Nothing kills the fantasy of being a draconic being with wings than having to ride on another mount/dragon because your flight has a 5 minute CD upon landing.

52 Likes

If the issue is that it can be broken in PvP, simply ensure that it can’t be activated unless out of combat. Otherwise, it’s no different than casting your mount, whether as a Dracthyr or otherwise.

21 Likes

The Dracthyr flight has a cast time , and it’s likely it can’t be used in combat just like normal mounts.

2 Likes

So show us your 24 hour marathon run record

There’s a reason why it’s on CD

Imagine being a Druid who’s ability to shapeshift into a bird varies on location.

15 Likes

If the issue is with being logical in regards to stamina, then technically all mounts that aren’t magical should slowly run out of energy and land/walk for a while to recharge.

I’m not really asking for the CD to be removed, but rather massively reduced to something closer to 15-30 seconds.

16 Likes

So you’re saying that the Worgen running wild should be on a CD
Our characters are always running too, might as well add a stamina bar like in Skyrim so we’re made to walk after a while.

While we’re on the topic, dragons get tired too. Might as well put dragon riding on a CD.

9 Likes

As a Druid, I’d be 100% okay with this. Especially if they give the mechanics of dragonriding to flight form (soaring as a bird is definitely up there as something I’ve always wanted to do in this game).

Let the dragons fly!

29 Likes

A CD reduction to something like that could be a little more acceptable.

I’d like it to be removed, but 15 - 30 seconds would still be a great improvement over the 5 minute CD.

9 Likes

They could easily make the mechanics of “Soar” functionally identical to a regular mount in non-Dragonflight zones.

Same cast-time, same inability to mount while in combat, etc. That way it would offer no in-game advantage. It would really just be an aesthetic choice like almost every other mount.

8 Likes

I was very surprised to learn it had a CD at all. Just make it not castable in combat, and it’s fine.

16 Likes

Principles of Soaring - Dracthyr Racial

Requires Evoker

While Soaring through the air, pointing yourself toward any given direction sends you in that direction.

Pointing yourself downward grants more momentum. Evening out can transfer that momentum forward.

Pointing yourself upward slows you down. When at your slowest, you will start to fall slowly toward the ground, forward and down.

You also gain access to the following abilities:

[Surge Forward]

Instant - 5 min recharge

2 Charges

Flap forward a short distance, gaining speed.

[Skyward Ascent]

Instant - 5 min recharge

1 Charges

Flap upward, gaining height at the cost of some momentum.

• These should also be reworked. Just as standard Dragon Riding can recharge its Vigor mid-flight, so too should Dracthyr be able to recharge their Surge Forward and Skyward Ascent. Please reduce the CDs of those in addition to the original Soar racial ability.
1 Like

Shouldn’t have a cooldown really.

28 Likes