Dracthyr - Soar (Needs CD Reduction)

Keeping this thread visible.

8 Likes

Seems like the kind of thing they unlock as time goes by in DF. A time gate to replace the usual and mostly unloved pathfinder.

4 Likes

I still wouldn’t mind it if it was something that gradually reduces to no CD within 5 months or at most the year. I can get behind the idea of Dracthyr having not
 you know
 used their wings for 10,000 years, the CD being a rest stop or whatever.

I still think it’s stupid that they even have a cooldown for their wings at all though.

14 Likes

This still needs fixing

10 Likes

Another week goes by and Blizz still holding strong on this ridiculous cooldown.

12 Likes

It’s especially annoying when you see the Dracthyr NPCs talking about flying, or flying around in the game. Or even our Dracthyr flies in cutscenes. In game though, nope. Our wings just stop working.

If they don’t want to give Dracthyr themselves as a dragon riding mount, I really wish they would at least they them act as their own traditional flying mount. Cast time launches you into a hover, and from there it just acts the same as say, the Druid flight form. Could even make it so that you would have to land and recast it after you interact with anything so as to not step on Druid toes.

It just feels awful playing a race that can canonically fly, and a character that you have personally watched fly, and then have to use a mount as a player to fly.

19 Likes

I know it’s called Soar
 given it’s definition and all
 but I wish it was called Fly. Because the biggest factor of the “Flying” racial ability for Dracthyr I have a problem with is:

They don’t flap their wings. At all.

Save for the Soar abilities once you cast it [Which already ruins it’s definition for being called Soar] but you could cross 2 entire zones without 1 idle flap. I know Blizzard can do it, they got mounts like the Drakes that can switch to a momentary gliding animation. So there’s no excuse other than they chose to name it Soar.

I mean since when did they adhere to logic/sensible crap like that anyways? Let me flap my wings!

8 Likes

Honestly, nature is kinda lazy and real flying birds tend to flap as little as possible. You can absolutely climb through a dive with enough momentum, and even GW2’s Griffon does that with one of it its abilities. Essentually though things tend to flap to gain altitude or maintain a general speed.

I haven’t gotten a chance to actually play around with dragon riding, but I agree that it seems strange they just coast on their wings constantly when NOT in a momentum based climb, and honestly think it could have benefitted from something the Griffon does in GW2.

If you have played GW2 you know what I mean, but if not, the Griffon has one energy bar. It regens once every three seconds. With this energy bar you can can do a few things. Flapping is one of them. You can flap your wings to give you an altitude boost, recovering some that you have lost in the last three seconds. You can also use it to launch into an enhanced dive (diving is how it enters it’s zoomy state), though the normal dive is free of energy, and the climbing assent is also energy free. The Griffon won’t flap unless you tell it to, but the action of flapping is an action that actually matters to its flying and is something you can do if you want to. Generally when it’s going full speed it doesn’t flap at all though. That part makes sense for both the Griffon and dragon riding. At that point you have just turned yourself into a missile.

The Skyscale also doesn’t flap unless you tell it to (or at least start flapping), but it’s flap works differently. It’s completely different from dragon riding, so it doesn’t apply to WoW and I am just using it as an example, but it only flaps when you are actively trying to ascend, or maintaining that level of flight after you have done so. Ascending requiring input from the character, but maintaining it just keeps it up on its own. The second you pitch down, it transitions into a glide though. The Skyscale is more helicopter like than the Griffon however. More precision based. Slower, but it can fly up or down as it likes within its area.

ANYWAY, all that long winded nonsense to basically say that NOT flapping actually makes sense for what WoW was trying to do, but I wish they had copied the Griffon and given you a cheap, flap ability to regain a little bit of lost altitude when you just want to lazily coast at not full speed rather than have everything come come just a climb.

5 Likes

I mean I would not care at all if when pointed up to gain altitude your Dracthyr would reasonably of course flap their wings against gravity a bit, but like
 they just
 kinda
 give up:

4 Likes

Make soar = dragonriding.

Make dragonriding usable everywhere one can fly.

Bonus points for giving Dracthyr a noclip flight mode as well.

16 Likes

I mean yeh, you should be able to slowly fly up without a bit of flapping. Moving up in a swoop from max speed makes a bit more sense, but slowly and leisurely gliding up just looks a little odd.

Course if they kill the cooldown and let us do it all the time I would still take it. Really don’t want to be a winged character having to ride a winged beast to fly anywhere. :frowning:

There are animations for it. You can watch the NPCs do it. Heck, it even has a cast time where they launch themselves in the air first. Just
 we can’t do it.

As much as as I think their racial mount looks neat, I really find myself wishing that their racial mount had just been, well, them. I guess there’s still hope that they will give them a Running Wild like ability, but it’s Blizzard so I should prolly just come to terms that my character who can fly, just won’t for some reason. :frowning:

10 Likes

They even go on and on about flying in the intro quests. Pure, 24 carat good will with the community just gonna rot on the table.

11 Likes

Yeh, even talk about preferring to fly back home to the Dragon Isles rather than taking a boat. It’s beyond annoying.

Things that should have happened was make Soar a cosmetic dragon riding skin, with all the same limitations as dragon riding itself, or, if they wanted to keep Soar a limited skill, put lore in saying that since the Dracthyr are smaller they can’t fly like that constantly like their True Dragon brethren without getting tired. Then you just give them a normal flying mount that is themselves and let us air swim while having Soar with a cooldown and having to use a drake with dragon riding.

Like I said, they have the animations already. Why not give it to players? What is the harm? It’s not a leg up over the other races because it’s just a mount skin. You would have to cast it just like any other skin. Even make them land to collect herbs and interact with things and then have to recast it, like a normal mount. Just let the Dracthyr fly with their own wings rather than have to use another flying mount. :frowning:

10 Likes

I don’t want to ride a dragon, I don’t want to ride some dumb land mount (unless I cannot fly in that zone). I want to be able to soar without CD, even if its just normal flight speed. I think Blizz will ignore this though. I mean look at how long the “give worgen tails” thread has been going? Blizz gives no f words.

15 Likes

#PullTheRipCord

8 Likes

Get rid of the CD and or revert the speed nerf. Just do something lol.

12 Likes

It can’t be used in any instances including Battlegrounds. It can’t be used in combat, it has what a 3 min cd if you get full exploration? And its not even as powerful or as good as dragon riding. There is no reason for the cool down, let alone the speed nerf.

17 Likes

I don’t want to ride a mount as a dracthyr. i want to be the mount. Much like Worgen can do with running wild and like how druids can do with travel form and flight form.

18 Likes

Yeah Drakthyr should be their own mount and should be the soar cooldown needs a reduction. It would be cool if they could also just be their own dragon riding mount as well! :relaxed:

12 Likes

I got in to the beta and have had decent fun. But I suck at this ability and really want to practice more but 5 min cool-down kills me. Literally. I messed up and landed in a bad bad area and got killed very quickly by a large mob.
If I could practice more with a much quicker cool-down I would have a lot more fun. I haven’t been back in beta for a few days because I found this aspect to be a real drag.

10 Likes