Dracthyr, NEED more Classes

As far as i know we never raised a monster/enemy to be a DK, right?

again just making sure:
I’m not against different classes. but at the start of the Addon Evoker should be the only one for Dracthyr

They were CREATED with magic presumably from what we’ve been told yes, and they were intended to be the PERFECT dragon species, a combination of all 5 flights.

That doesn’t not mean they should be solely tied to using the Dragon magic.

Not to mention, that these are a PEOPLE of their own, how many stories are out there, in WoW especially, where people want to go against the norm of society. Like a Warrior who wants to study Diplomacy and Magic, or a noble who loses their family, and picks up a sword to fight in a way that will achieve their goals.

Just because a people were created around a magic, doesn’t mean they can’t want to, or won’t eventually learn how to use other magics, or weaponry.

Although, to be fair, the Lore grounding for other classes so far are really just the potential for Mages and Shamans, going solely after what fits their theme, based on their creation. But that doesn’t mean they can’t or shouldn’t be allowed to learn other things.

2 Likes

What do you classify as monsters.

Also dragons had been raised before into the scourge, this would be no different, in fact it covers another fantasy such as frost wryms.

Blizz: Creates exclusive content that I don’t agree with
Me: Gives feedback because the game isn’t even in alpha and this is the time to give feedback about things I think are dumb.
You: Strawman

Neat.

Seems perfectly reasonable to criticize what I consider bad writing, especially when that writing goes against what I feel is in the best interest of the game and of myself.

2 Likes

You said it!
It is all just speculation anyway.

if were referencing and speculating off of lore. thats exactly what it means. otherwise its just something yall want and think thats reason enough to just make it happen

What about Worgen? I use this as an example, because have we EVER seen a DK level entity that was a Dragonkin before? Worgen had to have very specific strings pulled to be raised as a DK due to the LIFE magic origins of their curse.

Dragons are alluded to ALL be tied to the Life Realm, that evolved in the mortal planes. BUT even if they aren’t all tied to the Lifelands, we DO know that Dracthyr are pumped with 2 Different kinds of extremely potent Life magic. So it might not even be feasible to raise a Dracthyr as a DK.

And technically a LF shouldn’t be able to be a DK either based on their whole exploding thing. But that’s a different topic.

Except it’s not. They’ve come out and said “Only dracthyr will be evokers and dracthyr will ONLY be evokers”, and I think that should be changed, and I don’t think that lore, which isn’t even in the game yet, should be the deciding factor in keeping this race so restricted.

That’s not speculation, that’s blizzards words, and my response to it.

3 Likes

Ion has recently said in an interview that was linked a few times here (I don’t have the link, but could get it for you). That they are OPEN to the idea of Dracthyr earning other classes such as Warrior later on in the Expansion or in a following one.

But for 10.0 they want to focus on how Dracthyr society is based around Evokers, and with exposure to the Alliance and the Horde, they could very feasibly learn those skills.

The way they worded it makes me think of how they worded Vulpera way back when BfA was announced. So I do believe the plan is to eventually add at least 1 - 2 more options for them down the line. With their lore being chalked up to exposure from the Alliance and Horde, which makes sense.

In our defense, ALL a race has to do is have a lore reason to connect to one spec of a class, and they historically are given the option at somepoint for that class.

With that in mind, Hunter & Warrior are potentially the most basic that don’t typically need a lore reasoning. With Mages and Shamans having a lore backing that could work based on what we have seen of this race so far.

I realize that what I’m doing is speculation, but honestly the race DESRVERS at least 1 or 2 more classes. OTHERWISE they should’ve made Evoker be a hero class for certain races that had the Dragon forms. Without making Dracthyr be a race of it’s own.

1 Like

ACTHUALLY
Ion said:
“Dracthyr can only be the Evoker Class, Evokers can only be Dracthyr.”

This is the only restriction he named, at first, because in an Interview he said that other Class option are a possibility along the line.

Let them have their Hero Class/Race at the beginning of the expansion.
There is enough time to add other classes later on.

2 Likes

And personally I think they should ship with as many classes as possible, It’s the first full race we’ve had in a long time, and it’s really a very high demand style of character in a fantasy setting. Also Ion has no good faith left for me, I don’t think he cares about the players as much as his personal vision and I think he’s made terrible choice in the past so I don’t particularly care what he has to say until I’ve seen real action taken.

Alternatively, they could just change the lore before it even properly exists and make this happen on launch. Which would be better for everybody imo.

1 Like

I certainly agree that Evoker could have been a Hero class that applies the Dracthyr form to other races.
It would have made some things easier others not so much.
Because people want to play as Dragon warrior/hunter/whatever.

1 Like

I’m a lot happier having seen that interview personally. Like as long as they eventually CAN/DO get another option or two then I’m perfectly fine with us focusing on the Evoker identity at first.

Which to be honest, either way I already love the race and will main a healer with a Green focus.

But I am hopefully for later on when they add in more classes, so that I can have options for more diverse dragon characters. So they won’t ALL be evokers for me, lol.

1 Like

He also said they had the ripcord ready to be pulled at any time in shadowlands and that was wholly untrue. There’s still numerous issues and frustrations with swapping covenants in the game right now. There’s no reason to assume blizzard will do this, and honestly, they don’t really have the benefit of the doubt at the moment like the used to.

This kind of talk is just to placate criticism until it’s actually acted upon, so I (and presumably other players as well) want to make sure it’s shown that this is something that should be acted upon, and sooner rather than later.

I disagree, the time to let players try out cool new box features (Like a new race) is at the beginning of an expansion, not when some arbitrary time limit in the devs head has been reached.

2 Likes

The Box Feature is the Evoker Hero Class AND Dracthyr Race.
And as Ion Said they go hand in hand.

For the time being we need mor information on future plans.
I just hope Blizz will at some point start communication directly

What?

One, we’re talking about a RACE not a class.

Two, it doesn’t ruin anything for you. If you want to play a Dracthyr Evoker, great. If someone else wants to play a Dracthyr warrior? Great. That doesn’t affect you. You’re still an Evoker and still playing what you want.

People really need to stop trying to tell people what they should want for the sake of “this ruins it for me.” No. It does not. Acting like a kid who refuses to share a toy. haha

Warriors literally stomp lightning, throw bolts of lightning (with a talent) whirl around at inhuman speeds to create storms of blows, can outrun just about anybody in a short distance, can jump 30 yards, and are strong enough that even as a GNOME they can block massive blows from dragons, titans, et cetera.

Warriors are magical by any stretch of the imagination, they just focus it into martial might. You can’t do that stuff without special powers, training be danged. haha

Besides, have you seen dragons fight typically? They fight in melee and augment it with magic. Dracthyr could most certainly do the same thing if they were trained to do so.

…and evidently Ion (you know, the lead game dev) agreed, as he said that it was “Definitely possible” that they’d unlock other classes down the line, and used warriors specifically as the example. When the expansion starts, they’ll be evokers, but after they’re meshed with the other races they could definitely start branching out and putting their strengths to other uses.

Besides, like Frara pointed out, if they’re a race of magical experiments there’s probably going to be some variety in how much magical power they have as an individual and in what capacity they put it to use.

I’d think the whole point of creating magical soldiers would be for versatility. As it is, they do what dragons do but worse… so, lore wise, what’s the point? haha

The new interview, especially with the wording used, is definitely a good start. If we unlock the classes a bit later that’s alright.

However, I do think we should keep talking about it so they’ll get that ready to go sooner rather than later so that they can build some neat unlock quests around it or something.

I don’t mind the idea at all of having to unlock them in quests… I actually think that could be cool if they handle it properly.

2 Likes

Well I guess that solves it then, I shouldn’t voice my displeasure at this decision because Ion said so.

The best time to give feedback is before blizzard makes decisions you don’t like, not after. I’m not sure what other information I should be waiting for, considering I know that currently dracthyr will only able to use the evoker class, and I think that’s a bad choice.

4 Likes

I think it adds salt to the wounds so to speak, that these guys have the COOLEST visage form options of ANY race so far too. So being tied to 1 class only as a race feels bad.

Personally, I have mixed feelings on Ion, I don’t think he’s the best at communicating with the public, but I know he’s done a lot of good for the raiding community. I’m not a high end raider, but I do appreciate the work he does for them all the same.

I tagged you both for this point, because while YES they could change the lore before hand. It wouldn’t make the MOST sense. Because this land was in slumber for 10,000 years. Yes, we know some of the races have been active and moving during that time, but they also heavily implied that the dragons specifically were all in slumber as part of the spell that hid the isles into a pocket realm of sorts.

So I think from a story perspective, it could be grating to some, if Dracthyr all of a sudden had a grasp on certain classes, like if they were Warlocks or Monks or something. Granted some of the classes wouldn’t be too far fetched for them to have known before the slumber but still I can see both sides.

I think having done that would’ve sucked for some, but I would’ve seen it like a DH, where if I wanna be a demon or glide, I HAD to be a DH. It was exclusive to the class. Being a race with just one option, kinda leaves it in a sore spot for a lot of people however.

I agree completely.

I agree with this too, while I LOVE some of the new things in 9.1 and forward, like the changes they made and all of the new customizations. I don’t have the most faith in them still to go through with some things.

Which is also why I made this thread, to get my voice out there, that I want them to get more class options, and how I and many others feel like they should get them, sometime in the xpac or the one following. Letting the Devs know our wants is a huge part of why these forums exist. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There’s no lore currently in the game to my knowledge that would prevent dracthyr from being just “a race of dragonoid beings created by neltharion” that could be imbued with the powers of any particular class, and evokers being the specific variety of dracthyr that are imbued with the power of the dragonflights.

How do they have a grasp on evoker abilities? They were crated that way, they could just as easily be created with any other class abilities in mind.

1 Like

I had this conversation yesterday, it seems absurd to me that some how this race is so Insular and single minded that none of them have ever thought to use a shield, tame a pet, tinker with their innate magic, practice being sneakier than the others, etc. I mean one would think that unless this race is really really young some of these would have happened. And, like alot of other class/race restrictions, we probably will see NPCs doing those things.

2 Likes