Dracthyr evokers might get a future tank spec

Evoker should definitely have a Tank spec added! I feel like it is such a missed opportunity for Blizzard not to do so. For every reason I read against evoker tanks there are at least 3 counter points that are valid for why they should tank. Personally I feel like thematically a Dragon should be able to get up in your face and tank, this coupled with some of their animations really has me wanting to tank with one as a player who primarily plays dps. It would also give lust to the tank role which is currently not in the game and help that much more in group comps for M+. Finally a caster tank has been a much wanted fantasy in WoW since Gruul, Blizzard this is your chance to give us an amazing intellect tank.

Name a dragon that face tanked us and survived.

Evoker doesn’t need a tank spec.
It will do nothing to counter the tank shortage.

Caster tanks only work in specific situations…
Besides Gruul and Illidan, did we ever had the need to have a ranged tank?

Tanks are usually in your face and that is not a quality that evoker currently value, as they are flimsy caster bodies.

But I do hope that other classes will get added in the near future.

Nozdormu is a dragon we faced and survived

Describing an encounter we face to a tank we play is sooooo logical. Blood DK for every thing sounds wayyy better right? oh wait we killed those too along with warriors, paladins, demon hunters, and monks across various raids and dungeons. Just cuz youre a caster tank doesnt mean you have to be at range but they would be the only tank that can pump threat at range, thats the difference between a flimsy mage and a dragon. You can stand in mele and eat hits to the face while devastating your enemies defenses because you are a big bad dragon. In terms of tank shortage that wasn’t the topic, to fix that you add more reasons to bring more tanks in encounters, like 3+ tank bosses in raid and double tanked dungeons but that’s a whole different discussion. Oh and something other than DH or Druid for pvp. Now lets hear an actual valid argument as to why they should not tank because nothing you stated actually dismisses the fact that a dragon tank fantasy is a missed opportunity that a large enough sample of the player base actually wants in the game.

In Soviet WoW, dragon tanks you.

1 Like

If you would say Dracthyr should be able to tank I would agree.

but Evoker is not the right fit.

there are less tanks than any other roles because the design of the game and encounters doesnt give room for tanks the way it does dps and healers. in raid u only have 2 tanks vs 13-15 dps and 4-5 healers, in M+ tank spot is tied with healer spot but that usually leaves you taking a shaman healer if a mage, shaman, or hunter is not in the group (which does happen often enough if you dont blindly look at current seasons meta), then in PvP you only take a tank in rbgs on flag/node maps and you only take 1 vs 3 healers.

why not? Because they cast or because they use intellect as primary stat? both could be used as an argument for them to tank with a new feel and style to it

Aye. I’m jumping in here without reading most of the thread, so pardon me if I’m repeating this, but they did overtly state that if Evoker were to get a third specialization, it would be heals or DPS.

1 Like

From the Wowhead summary:

Dracthyr Tank spec is unlikely. This is a spellcaster class at its core. The class is initially only going to have two specializations, but if they do have a third, ranged dps and healer is where they’re focused.

1 Like

Evoker is a closed book.
Heal an DPS that is what they get

But ion said to look into opening other classes up for dracthyr. Means you will still be able to tank as a dragon, just not as Evoker.

Caster tank would never work with how mobs are designed. They would have to rework all the mobs in the game. Plus just as easy to give warriors bloodlust

My hope is we get Drakonids instead with access to other classes. Leave Dracthyr uncompromised.

Not a good design imho. Having one race for one class only.

specifically why not?

If they need to compromise on things like Soar to make it available to other classes, I’m all for sticking to a specific and unique vision.

Tank spec ya sure NOT HAPPENING it’s a caster CASTER class you want tank PLAY SOMETHING ELSE!

Well for 1 you cant Kite and cast at the same time
Secondly mobs are constantly attacking you having cast times as a tank just really rough casting then having to stop for a defensive or something would be big dps loss as a tank.

Id imagine if they made them a tank they would have to have no Active mitigation other than just being super tanky basically be the “beginner tank” spec in simplicity

Eh. I mean they could switch most of the abilities for a theoretical dracthyr tank to be instant cast and give them a polearm for the extra reach, which would keep up the fantasy of a mid-range tank.

Then just give them a ton of magic themes abilities.

Other games have pulled it off fine.

Sounds like something they’d say and never return to.