Dracthyr are a clever allegory for being trans and I am HERE for it

Seriously hats off to Blizzard, I just finished the starting zone and as a transwoman myself I felt so incredibly seen doing this. Enemies calling you aberration, feeling like you don’t belong but fighting through it anyway, you being able to switch bodies, having a “true self” and and a visage, even the dialogue of choosing a visage being something you feel comfortable with that represents you - it being a choice that ONLY you can make, the mantra of “we WILL find our place in this world” despite people hating us, Cindrethresh being a badass LGBTQ icon… its just chefs kiss.

I have waited for trans representation in this game for SO long.

THANK YOU BLIZZ!!! <3

EDIT: Here is another great write up of how Dracthyr specifically are queer-coding done right: The Drac'thyr are Queer-Coding Done Right!

51 Likes

Oh, another one of these threads.

257 Likes

Don’t think it’s that deep but take it however you want I guess

119 Likes

is it clever?

I thought it was pretty trans(hah)parent that’s what they were meant to be.

26 Likes

You’re going to get a lot of hate for this, but that’s because those people don’t understand reception/reader-response theory in literature.

I definitely see how the Dracthyr story could be framed from a trans perspective. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

If you’re happy with how it is, sounds good.

11 Likes

Here we go :popcorn: :popcorn:

28 Likes

It’s not clever in the least, but go wild.

28 Likes

I love your perspective on this! I honestly did not think of it this way but I can see every point you made. I am happy this made you happy!

15 Likes

Don’t really get that from evokers. It was more on the nose in the chromie story.

6 Likes

I could understand your argument if you could actually choose your visage form. But as things are I personally don’t see the connection as you’re still forced to take on a specific identity with if you’re male your a blood elf and female your a human. but if it makes you happy more power to you.

8 Likes

as someone big into no genders and what not (and that females/males are outdated terms and definitions), I did feel they didn’t represent it very well if that was their goal for this reason. The quest has you choose a visage, but its already chosen for you. And you can only be blood elf (male) or human (female) so the gender is still the same.

1 Like

So Pelagos was what?

24 Likes

WTF why was my post hidden?

1 Like

I think you’re looking way too deep into this but do whatever makes you happy.

25 Likes

I doubt they made something so elaborate. But everything that can be interpreted into inclusion territory is glady welcome.

1 Like

I’m really not, more people have realized this as well:

3 Likes

They also looked way too deep into this, that thread was chaos and almost got removed as trolling… I’m surprised it didn’t with all the fighting it had against OP.

6 Likes

I don’t know if you know this but trans people don’t switch bodies. We have a single one.

22 Likes

I really doubt this was the intention, but I am glad that you got something that makes you happy out of it, op. <3

5 Likes