Dracthyr And Blizzard’s “New Philosophy”

Problem is…nobody wants to BE the tank player. The can add tank specs until every class has one and there’d still be a shortage.

3 Likes

I don’t want more tanks as a tank player.

They said with dh tanks they didn’t see a rise in tank players so the argument it would solve queues is just false.
It’s mostly just tanks switching around.

More tanks just mean having to have more alts as a tank as there is only a few spots in pve and barely any spots in pvp.
So unless they make more spots for tanks I don’t see the point of adding more tank specs.

Exactly! (though I wanted melee DPS, not tank). When I imagine playing as a dragon the first thing that comes to mind is my character using their size to barrel through groups of enemies, smacking enemies with a clubbed or spiked tail, slashing with their claws, biting with their sharp jaws, and occasionally breathing fire. Ranged caster and healer are the LAST things I think of when I imagine playing as a dragon.

2 Likes

Because an extremely mobile tank that flies around the playspace is the most obnoxious thing for the majority of DPS. Ion’s response to this was perfectly reasonable.

And extremely dumb ideas. Windfury was always a meme and a lottery simulator. You played a terrible playstyles with the hopes that you’d win a ~15% chance of globalling a player.

Was it cool? Sure. But were the 5 battlegrounds you average a KDA of 0.2 was super fun too? Unlikely.

It’s the motto of FACEBOOK that has less users.
USE WHAT YOU WANT, KEEP GOING.

Lol I Wasn’t expecting a dracthyr tank thread but I like where this went,

I’m expecting Blizzard to open up other classes to Dracthyr after Dragonflight.

Drakthyr are all ranged because their racials are social distancing

I think this is mostly true. I go back and forth with tanking. But I’m not assuming adding a new tanking spec is going to fix que times, I just think it doesn’t hurt having the option available. And It may be the case that DH tanks didn’t lower que times, but I know for myself I tanked a lot more during Legions.

I don’t know that this means. But then again I’m not playing in the highest levels of the game… I play a lot of alts, and just like having different options for dealing with mostly redundant content.

If you mean in raids there are only 2 spots vs like 18 for dps than I see what you mean. But I don’t think most players refuse to tank because they don’t think there’s a place for them, I think they don’t tank because the community is pretty brutal towards bad tanking.

Or… because the fight mechanics are usually different for a tank than a dps and who can be bothered to learn both… am I right… JK… :wink:

LMAO… you win.

Meme-ing about DH tanks, love it. No, Ion’s response isn’t perfectly reasonable. There are two major ideologies that developers of a game like wow need to have. 1. is what you are alluding to, the need to design playable and reasonable content. and 2. a concept that fits into fantasy world that is alive and growing.

Choosing option 1 at the sake of option 2 or vise versa, is kind of lazy. I don’t think a single person hear Ion on day 1 say that the a dragon based race should only be mid ranged DPS and thought, “Damn, he’s right, that makes total since.”

What your really saying, is that Blizzard doesn’t want to admit that logistically the idea would be difficult and they’d rather move a slider than design a new playstyle, and your willing to defend that.

I would love to get into how this is actually a WF problem, not a 2H problem, and ignores what the vast majority of the shaman community has been asking for.

Can you explain why Blizzard couldn’t rework part of the way Enhancement works to bring back a 2H option? I play survival hunter, DK, and Retro Paladin, all use 2H and all seem to be perfectly capable of doing so without feeling slow or RNG heavy.

I just can’t understand why some people are happy finding reasons to limit player’s options rather than champion expanding them. But then again, that’s what my point is really about, how Blizzard is literally saying one thing… but…

Honestly, I think melee would have been fine, too. The tank option isn’t a hill I have to die on, but I wouldn’t mind it either.

Havoc flies around the screen. VDH is on par with Warriors using the Leaper legendary.

Evoker gameplay is literally flying around the playspace. LEaping to allies. Flying over them with Deep Breath. And they use cast time spells to emulate the idea of a dragon building up for a Fire Breath attack. I gaurantee you that any tank that needs to sit and channel or cast spells will be extremely unhappy with the gameplay. Such a bold claim right? Name any spell on any MELEE that is both rotational and has a cast time (where the cast time cannot be manipulated to an instant cast.)

Cast time in melee gameplay sucks. The very idea of a dragon building up for a Fire Breath attack is fantasy-forward but melee with cast times is a sin. Cannot have both.

It’s a fake memory of an era that lacked the lessons learned through two decades of development. That proc was fun. Sure. But no one remembers playing all day to see it happen proc a couple of times every hour, at best.

It was never a thing.

True. I mean we kind of dance around Mist Weaver… Is it ranged? I’m not sure because I only really play Brewmaster.

That said, I agree with you. I really wanted a demonic style castor spec for demon hunter based around the Eredar. I just feel like when it comes to a Dragon based race, cutting out melee seems to be completely out of touch with the content your working with. And it seems like the majority of the player base agrees.

But more so, I think if you are going to add a race and then choose to limit it’s class to only 1, that class should probably cover the necessary rolls of the game’s core features: tanking, healing, and damage. If the Dracthyr could be other classes… conversation over…

Do you feel like adding a melee/tank option to Evoker, will make the ranged DPS spec less compelling to play?

1 thing is the philosophy and other what are they capable to implement now…like asking for Shaman tank, I’d like to have warlock tank, Warlocks even had the Dark Apotheosis form, I think you’re right that Dracthyr missed the mark between their fantasy and what the players expected for a dragon class but a lot of things that you mention required new questlines and good lore behind.

I think you got the philosophy wrong.

I’m not sure I know what you mean by this.

I agree with the sentiment about your wanting concepts that seem interesting, but never came to the game. I thought Frost DK would have been the more obvious choice for DK tanks adding a frost shield and letting Death Knights actually use a shield. But alas…

With the Shaman tank, I think part of the reason it’s stuck around for so long, is because in vanilla, Shaman was the antithesis to Paladin and was described as being an “off tank.” Tanking in vanilla was a lot less structured and as the game evolved, I think people hoped Shaman would take that roll. There are even still abilities like rock biter weapon that indicate Blizzard thought about going in that direction.

That said, I’ve imagined lots of classes that could be tanks (even my warlock) Or a melee version of an arcane mage. My issue isn’t not getting exactly what I want, that would be silly, but rather in the idea of locking a new race (the first dragon race) into a limited set of rolls (the evoker.) Unlike DH and DK which were classes limited to certain races, The Dracthyr are a race limited to classes. Blizzard has never released a race that couldn’t fit every necessary roll. If a guild’s tank wanted to play Evoker, they could only do it as an alt.

Seems to me this is counter to the philosophy I keep hearing from Blizzard, which is quite literally “We want you to play WoW how you want too.” But it seems that only applies to a bunch of customization choices on character creation, and not actual gameplay.

I literally made a Worgen rogue to use the wolf claw BOA fist weapon claws to try and live this fantasy!

True but also compared to other games on which their RPG elements are like any race can be any job/class, Warcraft has a dev team that focus too much around their lore impacting gameplay, since Dracthyr only can be a specific class due to lore similar to their ideas and restrictions around covenants impacting gameplay until the rip cord, they should take on consideration player feedback and implement some lore or different intro to bring other classes for this race.

Devs already mention that in the future some lore will be implemented to bring Dracthyr to other classes since they need to interact with factions but i think that could be accomplish with a different intro questline.

1 Like

Doesn’t have to be a cast time. You alter it for melee. We’ve already got a class that has a breath attack they build, and then hit a button to channel it and continue to build to make it last longer. Breath of Sindragosa. Something like that would work well.

If Dracthyr could visually be all the races (like the dragon can), and they had access to all the classes, then I think that’d cover most complaints that players have. It’s weird that neither of those things are options.

Think when they came out, Frost was actually the tanking spec.

Yup.

1 Like

DK and DH were melee / tank, why is it suddenly unacceptable that range / healer gets a go too.