DPS self heals

One of the strengths that used to go with playing any kind of hybrid spec is that you had more longevity due to the ability to heal yourself, you just had to strategize healing the best you could to wear down opponents, this was a strength against most dps classes with more cc, damage, or cd based survival.

Nowadays most dps (especially melee) can match this healing without any risk, no strategy involved, and barely affecting their dps. This has left hybrid classes not healing because it’s an advantage but healing just to keep up with these dps classes survivability, and even then it’s a pretty poor attempt with so many ways to easily stop it. This is also why you don’t see off healing that much anymore, it’s a risk towards your own survival and usually such weak heals doesn’t make a difference.

What does Ret give up when it has instant flash of lights?

Ain’t no one should be complaining about ret, as their representation in pvp is super low, least of all a dk

2 Likes

Nothing to do with representation or which class is better.

There is no such thing as hybrids. A ret gives up nothing to cast their instant flash of light procs. Other melee (such as DK) do give up resources to heal.

just having to do at least 8 gcds to get an instant that’s all

3 Likes

The buff can also be purged.

2 Likes

Are you suggesting they wouldn’t be using GCD abilities in a fight if it wasn’t for the free flash of light procs?

It’s not a random proc.

It’s a stacking buff when they spend holy power that can be purged. A ret is super bad if they are taking Selfless Healer against a team with purges. The other options are better but actually are a DPS loss to cast.

2 Likes

semantics and goal post moving, may as well close the thread here and mark answered.

Did you read his posts earlier in the thread?

The monk believes that healing which requires reasonable build up or sacrifices to make are mostly fine. He used examples like Predatory Swiftness and Recuperate. I’m inclined to agree with him. Selfless Healer is a bad Predatory Swiftness that’s only remotely relevant if your team doesn’t have purges.

Death Strike at least requires active combat but you aren’t really sacrificing much to cast it.

3 Likes

They do damage to heal which in turn procs runes to use Obliterate their main one button attack option ( speaking for Frost DK ). Pally’s have to stand still and do no damage to heal, same for shamans and it does not generate say malestorm to use . It’s not even in the same ball park .

I have been playing a Frost DK lately . Gotta say it’s much better in every conceivable way compared to a Ele Shaman . The only thing I miss is the ability to Purge and as a QoL thing , not have GW to run around everywhere quickly .

1 Like

Death Strike is much inferior to Frost strike.

You don’t have to stop for flash of light when they’re instant.

You (and others) keep comparing the power of classes as if it’s relevant.

The paladin claimed hybrid classes have to sacrifice damage for healing, and that non-hybrids don’t. Firstly, there’s no distinction between hybrid and non-hybrid, and secondly, even if there was, his assertions are false.

1 Like

Yes but it still deals damage . So no downtime and you heal significantly depending on when you use it . While a Enh Shaman stands there like a tree trying to cast his pitiful healing surges on himself .

Actually it is very relevant . Pure DPS classes are now way ahead for the most part because they have negated any healing advantage hybrids used to have ( the only advantage now remaining is that hybrids can heal team mates / self healing has been nerfed hard with high mana costs during PvP ) while hybrids have not been boosted to have the same raw DPS output that pure DPS classes have .

4 Likes

There is no hybrid tax anymore. Any difference in DPS between supposed hybrid and non-hybrid classes is purely incompetence and bad game design by Blizzard.

2 Likes

When my incompetent self can do better on the DK I have played for 3 weeks compared to the Ele Shaman I mained for the past year and a half, something’s broken.

When one group has 100 percent uptime ( and heals in the process ) and another group does not have 100 percent uptime , I say the later group is at a significant disadvantage .

3 Likes

Yep, hybrid tax. Take away a rogue’s 30% heal on a 30 second timer and uses 30 energy (which is downtime for any sort of dps ability that could be used instead), but also cut hybrid dps by 1/2. I can agree to that. Every other defensive we have, with the exception of feint, is on a long CD. Of those, one is completely useless against caster classes.

2 Likes

What you want is double taxation !!

1 Like

And what you want is the ability to out heal any pure dps class while ALSO doing the same amount of damage. It’s ridiculous to think that’s balanced.

Nobody is forcing anyone to play a hybrid.
• You don’t have to play a Druid
• You don’t have to play a Paladin
• You don’t have to play a Shaman

2 Likes

Non-hybrids generally have better defensives and mobility (or mobility suppression) in addition to excellent damage and now lots of self-healing.

If hybrids are going to get outhealed by non-hybrids, then maybe we should talk about removing things like Icebound, Unending Resolve, Cloak of Shadows, etc. The niche of non-hybrids should be preventing or mitigating damage in the first place, not mitigating it and then turning around and healing it right back up.

Hybrids often have to stop and cast, consume a very limited resource, opt into talents, and otherwise make themselves vulnerable and easy to counter for an amount of healing throughput that is often negligible. Non-hybrids are running around spamming things like Death Strike or Bloodthirst basically as part of their rotation; or worse, are warlocks and get ridiculous amount of tankiness as a reward for doing a ridiculous amount of damage.

7 Likes

Think about what you are saying … isn’t it better for the game to have a wide variety of viable classes instead of everyone playing 3 classes ?

5 Likes