Don't release the content too fast, please

Time-gating has been here since the very beginning of the game. It’s not a modern philosophy at all.

2 Likes

Time-gating an entire game that is complete so people can catch up is a modern philosophy. Did they have “phases” of content releases on servers that launched later in Vanilla’s life cycle?

The patches in retail or during Vanilla are time-gating.
The difference in Classic is that we know what is coming, nothing else.

Yea. They were called “content patches”, and were staggered to provide a steady release of new content over the course of years.

The phases are specifically designed to mimic that staggered content release in order to match the way vanilla was.

It has nothing to do with modern wow and everything to do with oldschool wow.

2 Likes

It’s not time-gating because that stuff was under active development. It wasn’t complete. We now have a complete game that is being time-gated just like the content that is slowly released despite being complete on modern WoW.

1 Like

They were released as they were completed… I started the game on a server that launched the day of the ZG patch (Maelstrom), all the content that was released up until that point was not time-gated.

Perhaps they’ll test the phase 3-4-5-6 content while we are gonna play the first phases :slight_smile:

The content is “complete” but not clean of bug from the import on the modern engine
You could see it like this too !

They deliberately chose the pace at which to release new content. They had a philosophy regarding how quickly new content should come out. That design philosophy is part of vanilla, and is being replicated in classic.

They were created and released on an internal schedule.

2 Likes

I’m not going to waste my time arguing with someone who thinks that time-gating has always existed in the form of patch releases.

I guess every game that has updates is “time-gating”. Pretty stupid argument you’re making.

2 Likes

You shouldn’t waste your time arguing, because you’re straight up wrong.

Devs back in 2005 came out and said they wanted there always to be that next undefeated dungeon. That means they deliberately don’t release all the content at once.

1 Like

having never played vanilla/classic, i would say every 6-8 months would be good.

2 Likes

Fair warning: it’s probably going to be more like every 2-3 months.

Even if all you did was BG, less than 2 hours spent a night doing BGs won’t progress you very far to get reputation epics, or rank. Less than two hours doing anything in Vanilla, other than some quick farming, isn’t gonna get you far, quickly.

I seem to remember it going pretty quick, was exalted in all of them, and AV rep is (was?) a joke.

Shouldnt be too bad.

1 Like

Exactly. If you don’t want to do the previous content then why do you get to do the harder one? You do not. Would you still complain about no catch up if every raid have levels instead? Like MC gives you 60-62 BWL 62-65 etc would you complain you cannot do a lvl65 raid when you’re still lvl 60?? Do the work or leave. No welfare.

4 Likes

The “time gating” argument doesn’t apply to the initial content release run for WoW Classic. Time gating is keeping players from finishing the new content too quickly in a raid or patch. The content release schedule for Classic is meant to somewhat recreate the initial run of Vanilla before it becomes a museum piece “forever”, not to keep players from finishing everything too fast. That recreation of the original WoW experience is supposed to be part of the fun. If they just dropped Classic with all the 1.12 content accessible, then we would be missing out on the best part of the game imo.

I hope that they spend about 4 months in between each release, giving the initial run about a 2 year lifespan. Then let it ride off into the sunset at full 1.12 forever.

3 Likes

For one thing, 2-3 hours a day in BGs, rep will accrue quickly enough.

Secondly, I do PVP for the sheer fun of it, how fast I get gear isn’t very important.

Third - Classic is here to stay, there is no hurry.

I feel bad for people who always conflate what they do in game with whether or not they will get gear from it. I play for fun.

P.S. - I know the rank grind very well. Rank 10 is easy.

1 Like

Why not just go with the same timeline that things were released in Vanilla? They certainly shouldn’t release things quicker to appease the 1% of the playerbase rushing through the content.

10 Likes

I agree entirely. People are welcome to rush through the game content if they wish. But that style shouldn’t be considered baseline for content release. If you burn through levels and raids, then sit things out for a few months or start over with an alt.

5 Likes
  1. I wasn’t replying to you
  2. I was replying to Dokta
  3. The vast majority of my time spent at 60 in Classic, will be in PvP. VAST. Chill your jets.