Does Arthas deserve a "happy" ending?

Circling back to the OP - I am not sure that the question is answerable, yet, when it comes to Arthas. When we first meet Jaina in SL in the Maw, she describes the Maw’s original purpose as a prison for “the most foul and unredeemable souls”. The key part of that test is clearly “unredeemable” since the standard for “foul” is pretty loose given the types of souls that we run into in Revendreth.

The thing with Arthas is that we don’t know if he is “redeemable” or not. Any argument that we can make one way or another is mostly based on fragments of evidence buttressed by inferences.

If as suspected the spirit/soul of Arthas is involved in the next raid, we may then get the evidence needed to answer the question about “redeemable”. If he is redeemable, then Revendreth. If not, well then, the Maw.

I would add that Sylvanas (Like it or not) now, in my view, falls into the “redeemable” camp because of the new state of her soul.

3 Likes

We aren’t the judges of who is redeemable or not, and you can’t just assume based on what WE see since again we aren’t the judges.

Only the Arbiter and Revendreth are capable of that.

Considering the new Arbiter couldn’t pass the Bastion trials (Which are designed to render the Aspirant free of bias and fair in Judgement), also considering how Revendreth has been treating their souls as “Work horses” (Their words).

I think I would sooner trust myself with judgement.

So are you willing to resume a meatgrinder war that may destroy what remains of your race to do so?

You can’t have retribution without the power to deliver it and the last war between the two factions ground to a stalemate that was accomplishing nothing but feeding new victims to the Jailor.

3 Likes

If enough people are willing to stand up and potentially give their lives to defend their perceived right to slaughter innocent people… Then yes.

We will either succeed in making the world a better place, or we will fail and not have to live in the hell world that apologizes for such acts of barbarism.

It’s a win win.

total war often ends in ethnic cle@nsings and brutal butchery…

You have to admit that the cure cannot be worse than the disease…

Even normal innocent people have evil tendencies…so if we are going to rid the world of evil, then we will have to go to war with everyone and everything. You end up doing what Sylvanas did to the Night Elves and the Forsaken. You become no better than the villain you fight against when you snoop down to their level of “barbarism”…

That all being said, What exactly would appease you? Complete H0l0cau$t of the Horde? The destruction of the Horde army and internment camps for the horde civilians? I mean what will satiate your thirst for a bloodbath?

2 Likes

Then we have come to the gap which can not be bridged. Tyrande was offered that choice and in the end, she chose the survival of her people over vengeance.

3 Likes

We are already there, boyo.

Total War would not be had if the Horde had the moral uprightedness to NOT defend Sylvanas. Yet, they did… We had an entire expansion showing us they did.

It’s not about the “Evil tendencies” of the normal, everyday person.

Normal, everyday people do not burn children alive.

I talked about this awhile back, so I will just repost that.

Not quite. It’s Malfurion after all who ended the story in the RTS original incarnation of the franchise when he invokes the Wisps to detonate Nordrassil and kill Archimonde, ending the Third War.

Tyrande takes out Nathanos after literally pinning him to his cabin and disintegrating his dogs with Dark Moonfire.

(I really am pissed that when they finished the revamp for Hyjal, they removed his skeleton from the tree.)

Leave it to you to fail the recognize the difference between an autonomous sacrifice, and have something taken from you, fighting and resisting, without success.

Say hi to Pelagos.

2 Likes

Sylvanas is that you?

This read a lot like Sylvanas’s plan to unify the world in undeath.

3 Likes

Maybe, but I haven’t burned any children alive.

Yet.

What happens when orc babies grow up and have children and those generational scars make them hate you?

1 Like

Are you saying all orcs have a predisposition for genocide, so we should just nip it in the bud now?

If all members of the Horde are predisposed towards genocide, then it must be genetic. Therefore you know what you must do to that baby, Aki.

BURN IT!!!

3 Likes

You should really read A Good War.

1 Like

Funny, the only people who are drawing that conclusion have red backgrounds.

1 Like

Because of our narrative experience.

If you wanna be the next Sylvanas, go ahead, learn that lesson the hard way like the rest of us red posters.

Don’t take our word on it. Go be genocidal NE maniacs. Get your bloodlust moment.

2 Likes

Christie Golden said that Orcs unless they’re raised by humans, indirectly justifying cultural genocide.