Does 5 DPS really Matter?

Even if it wasn’t, it’s not like choosing one covenant just removes your abilities and shuts down your class. You’ll still be functional no matter what you pick. So what if one guy is doing 10% more on a given fight or whatever.

Why bring people who do 10% less damage when you can bring people who won’t?

1 Like

Imagine playing BFA and thinking the DPS variance in SL will be miniscule.

2 Likes

The abilities isn’t even the biggest thing, for me.

You go through all 4 zones while leveling, and become heavily invested in each of the storylines. You can’t even choose a covenant at 60 without finishing ALL FOUR covenant storylines in the zones.

But that’s just the first half of each story.

The second half is the covenant-specific storyline, which finishes up the story in each zone.

And you’re only allowed to do one of those. So you never see how the other 3 storylines end, unless you create alts.

(And before anyone says “oh but you can switch”… sure. Except the covenant stories are Renown-gated, so you have to grind renown for each one to see and finish the story. And that’s a BIG grind.)

2 Likes

Because they’re my friends and I recognize that there are actual living breathing human beings behind those characters.

Well too bad for those living breathing humans. I finally get to leave people out because they’re not as good as others. I finally get to get revenge for all those times I was picked last when forming teams for dodgeball in 7th grade! And NO ONE is going to stop me!

You can be friends with people and not raid with them. Not worth wiping on a boss over and over and wasting 19 people’s time because 1 guy can’t be bothered to maximize his character.

If you want to be a jerk about it sure. I’m not going to sacrifice my friendships for slightly more progression though.

1 Like

I wish that were true.

Except for my group, the wipes aren’t because someone didn’t maximize their character, it’s because someone forgot how to play the videogame.

1 Like

It’s not being a jerk, if you are going for CE it’s understood that everyone should be making the choices that help the group get there. People have to sit on progression bosses in every mythic guild, why bring the person who will do 10% less dps than someone else? How is that fair to sit the person who actually made the correct choices?

I’d argue that the person choosing the wrong covenant and doing 10% less dps for no reason is being a jerk to the 19 other people on his raid team.

Even if it takes a day more to get CE, I would still respect the choices of that player. People forget we’re talking about actual people, with real thoughts and feelings, and not as faceless tools to discard when we feel like. Why pick something that’s not fun to them? Sounds like a miserable gaming experience to me. If someone wanted to go with a certain covenant that was pleasing to them for whatever reason, and still tried their best, that’s totally fine in my book.

You’re playing a holy paladin. What if holy paladins didn’t sim the best during a tier? Would you consider yourself a jerk for wanting to raid still, even though you could argue that you’re holding your team back by not being whatever the #1 healer is?

1 Like

First off, you can’t sim healing so yeah. But also it’s not a good comparison. I’d rather take a really good healer on the worst healing spec than a bad player on the best healing spec. It doesn’t work that way with covenants since we are talking about 1 active ability on at least a 1 min CD, and a passive tree. Completely different, you can’t compare 1 active and some passives to an entire class/spec.

Because you don’t want to be the guy who’s a drag on the rest of the team, causing more wipes and eating up more of everyone’s free time just because you’re stubborn.

I say this as somebody who played a bear tank for 15 years, including through Cutting Edges this expansion, even though bears are the worst, and least-played, raid tank in the game.

And that’s why I’m finally switching to Monk next expansion, because I don’t want to be dead weight anymore. Nobody on the team told me to switch, nobody on our team ever tells anyone else what they can and can’t do.

But people switch of their own accord, because it’s rude to be the guy who’s holding the team back.

OP doesnt know anything about it, he probably think covenants are only aesthethics.

But we are talking video games :rofl:

Using your logic , choosing a faction has no RPG elements at all.
Choosing class = none too, using your stupid logic.
Choosing a race has none as well according to you then, because covenants whether you are for or against do the same thing.

You dont like the system and thats fine.

1 Like

Then stop tossing out “but it’s RPG!”. You might as well say you like covenant restrictions because apple pie.

Because it is a RPG its why its called a MMORPG what part dont you get?

1 Like

Slapping “RPG” on the marketing slogan doesn’t make something a role-playing game. I could call my car an RPG, doesn’t make it so.

1 Like

Im done enjoy your day

1 Like

Look, it’s cool that you don’t know what an RPG is, you’ve probably never played one.

So stop with the “RPG!” nonsense and tell us, in your own words, why it’s an advantage for people to be locked away from covenant storylines unless they make alts.

2 Likes