Do you think Classic's success upset Blizzard?

Man why is Bearhands an assshole in every thread he posts in and has an opinion on every aspect of WoW and Blizzard?

1 Like

The price doubled this year not at the launch of Classic. Even if you want to equate a tail to classic, Warzone is part of the far more profitable COD IP having a much larger reach being free compared to a buy in for Classic. There is no spin in the world to think that Classic was the driver of the double of the stock increase in the past year when it has done nothing but decline in total player count and has not ingame payment system to support that.

I had a blast in Classic WoW. So did millions of others. It was a nostalgia filled, fun ride. No regrets at all.

It appears Classic just wasnt for you.

7 Likes

Link me one study proving “this phenomenon.” I’ll wait.

Perception obviously. I only respond to threads I have an opinion on. Given that 95% of the posts on these forums are from the same 1% of posters… its not unusual that I’ll end up disagreeing with most people at some point… Unfortunately many, but not all, of you aren’t adult enough to accept that not eveyrone will agree with you and move on… so you harbor grudges which bleed over into other threads.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Its not that serious. :kissing_heart: :kissing_heart:

They made a ton of cash from classic, why in the world would it make them upset?

Its not a product of their creation.

Blizzard made WoW, yes it is their creation lol.

The stock price didnt double this year… It’s up about 50% from before the pre-covid drop. And from before Classic’s launch to pre-covid? Another 50% jump.

So you’re wrong.

It didn’t double. You’re misinformed. See above.

Aside from the unique subs that classic brings in, theyve also stated in their last few earnings calls that crossover from Classic to Retail has been significantly higher than they expected, which drives SL purchases as well as all the other retail revenue streams.

It’s also worth noting that in the year BEFORE classic’s launch, Acti-Blizz stock was down 50%. Then Classic launches and suddenly that trend reverses. You can literally follow it on their stock line… August 23rd… Blizz stock price is @ 46. Classic Launches and 4 days later ActiBlizz stock jumps to a higher price than its been at for A YEAR… and it’s continued to rise ever since (the immediate Covid crash being the one exception.)

Entirely unrelated though… AMIRITE?

1 Like

So youve chosen to be purposely dense. Fine by me.

The herb spawn was a good change… for a bad problem. That being the introduction of mega-servers that never existed back then. No increased herb spawn would make the megaserver problem even worse. Also while releasing pre-nerf C’Thun would of been cool for a brief period, it should of eventually gone back to the current one, and I don’t think releasing the current one was some sort of attempt to kill classic. Releasing with the strong 1.12 classes was just laziness though.

1 Like

If you honestly belive that classic was the only driver of this you are delusional. I have no idea if you even understand how much bigger COD is than WoW both Retial and Classic. Classic was again has no on going increase in users to prove your basis to say it was the cause of the stock to go up.

In this you are correct it doubled off the low and rose 75% off the covid low in march.

It couldnt possibly be people being home playing Warzone. A game that went from 6 million accounts to 75 million accounts in aug of the same year and also on cell phones No its Wow Classic a game that doubled mau for blizzard. That was the sole driver of this massive stock increase

Given that they hit their highest stock price in literally A YEAR 4 days after classic launched… you’re REALLY reaching to try and claim it wasn’t driving the increase

I know

Warzone didn’t come out until March of this year… From launch to Q3 2020 it did increase from 6 to 75 million users… but thats over the course of 6 months… not 1, and its well after the 50% post-classic bump.

You’re very misinformed.

Could you cite your source? Because this says otherwise:

Hight says that while Classic was far more popular than anyone at Blizzard expected, they also have found that one version of World of Warcraft is not cannibalizing the other – rather, there’s not much of overlap at all between people swapping between the two, and both communities are healthy enough he feels comfortable releasing major content updates (such as upcoming raids) in both games around the same time.

1 Like

Seeing as how most of your working knowledge is limited to the Cracker Barrel, I’ll try and keep it simple.

Abandonware laws are relatively in constant Flux. There are parts of the world where one could argue that Shadowlands is so far removed from the Vanilla version they constitute entirely different games. As such, the Vanilla version of the game has been abandoned, and 3rd parties are able to use it as they please. Often saying they are not benefitting financially by operating the servers for free.

Not the strongest case, but one that could require a hefty legal push from Activision to get shut down.

By opening and running Classic, Activision has the legal argument that they have not abandoned that game, and it should be easier to shut down private servers that run it.

2 Likes

I actually followed why they dropped at that time. Worry over lack of expanded IP and no major release from blizzard in that time was a huge doubt on what ATVI could do. On top of a reshuffle and exit of many high profiel execs people were, and it turned out correctly. that they would make less money that year than preivous. You know the thing investors look for.

There was no classic 50% bump from its launch you can literally go look at the stock price in that period.

Aug 26 Open 48.69
Feb 20 Close (pre covid drop) 64.37

I was far closer to my doubleing than you were to 50% increase

Heres the post Warzone numbers

March 20 52.05
Close on SL Launch (Nov 23) 75.92

Apparently not as much as you are.

Personally I don’t. I think blizzard brass somehow bought into botting gold and selling gold. Why else would they not have proper software in place to ban botters immediately.

Literally none of what you said is accurate. There are no “abandonware laws.” That simply isnt a thing. However COPYRIGHT law, which is a thing, gives ownership for AT LEAST 50 years after publication.

This is all complete ignorant nonsense. They’re already covered under copyright law. They don’t need a “hefty legal push,” now or in 20 years any more than they did with private servers. They don’t need to play games with re-releasing the game. Its their IP. Its copyrighted. If you’re using their IP without their permission, you’re in violation. Full stop. End of story.

You sir… are also misinformed.

August 17th, a week before classic launch. 46.66
Feb 20th - 64.37.

Thats a 40% increase. From pre-classic to covid drop. Keep trying.

You were off by A YEAR on the warzone launch you were trying to say was the reason for their price increase. Lol… You can pretend you know what you’re talking about now but cmon man…

“I know you are but what am I huh?” Well played.

Overall it’s a massive win for them because it’s overall an engineering project and not a development project.

Engineering projects can in this case be very very inexpensive and as a result massive profit margins.

So overall I feel that blizzard looks at it rationally as a massive win.

There may be some people at blizzard who are butthurt over classic winning big like this, but let’s be blunt here; those people are not all that wise if they turn their nose at classic because it’s covering their rears and possibly why many of them retain their jobs.

I say that because it’s all one big subscription.