Do you think Classic's success upset Blizzard?

‘you think you do but you don’t’, BFA being garbage, etc.

All financial reasons and benefits aside, many people seem to think that Blizz doesn’t care about Classic. Do you think they wanted it to succeed?

8 Likes

They got the best of both worlds with Classic. Brack was right and they made money - but overall yeah, they wouldnt have done it with the hopes it would crash and burn.

6 Likes

Classic was never supposed to be a game with mass or widespread appeal. Blizzard knew this, the people that asked for Vanilla/Classic knew this, the game was made by Everquest veterans, and that’s something modern gamers would never vibe with generally speaking.

5 Likes

Upset, probably not. I think they always intended to give classic minimal support knowing that it would bring in money regardless. I also think the amount blizard catered to #nochanges was mostly just about minimal effort as opposed actually thinking it was a good idea.

We’ll see what attitude they take for TBC classic.

Blizzard does tend to refuse to acknowledge mistakes though so it might be upsetting that classic ended up much more popular than they expected given how different it is from retail.

12 Likes

You don’t do business with the intent of proving your business plan will fail.

10 Likes

Probably and am happy about it because THEY JUST DONT GET LIKE.

You do if it takes minimal effort to shovel out a 15 year old existing game to both shut up those who continually begged for it, and to simply protect your IP.

To paraphrase, they never cared if more than tens of people end up playing it. And that speaks directly to the amount of effort and support they devote.

Want it to fail? More like not caring it is successful.

2 Likes

You have obviously never met petty management types then.

I have 100% dealt with managers who wanted an idea that would be good for the business to fail only because they had a problem with the person who had the idea.

Even going so far as to actively impede the individual.

24 Likes

Classic was made so they could continue shutting down private servers with lawsuits in countries where it was considered abandonware since the content no longer existed.

8 Likes

I think they didn’T want to deal with 25 different kind of player with mutually exclusive demand for how classic should be implemented.

IE original classic VS classic + VS re-balanced classic VS layering so we don’T get dead servers and so on.

And they were probably also afraid of how 15 years of knowledge added to some sweaty min-maxer would meta the fun out of the game… see trying to WSG without a premade or those who, god knows why, enjoyed the AQ war effort on a high pop server.

1 Like

It probably isn’t black and white. Undoubtedly a lot, if not most people at Blizzard wanted Classic to succeed.

Were there people who wanted it to fail because of their egos, etc.?

I would say almost assuredly.

13 Likes

Blizzard isn’t one person.

1 Like

I think they’re probably surprised at how popular classic ended up being, but I’m sure they are happy about it, not sad.

1 Like

How many times are we going to have to tell people this Dot?

1 Like

layering
1.12 talents
unplayable lag when more than 200 players on screen
no pre nerf cthun
increased herb node spawn rate

yeah no. they intentionally sabotaged classic wow. blizzard launched classic wow with the intent of making it a failure. the sheer amount of player interest buried the efforts of blizzard as our millions of login attempts maximized their $0.25 servers for the first few days, so the server companies gave blizzard a coupon for a buy one get one free server but blizzard threw it away or something.

5 Likes

I think that Ion is probably upset. He has very definite ideas about how we should be playing the game, perfectly encapsulated by his “you think you do but you don’t” comment. He doesn’t seem to have any interest in understanding what the player base wants so I would expect him to experience some degree of frustration at being wrong so often.

Edit: I stand corrected, it wasn’t Ion who said that quote.

8 Likes

My thoughts on the matter.

1.They’re a buisness, they want every product to succeed.
2.They’ve learnt some lessons that they’re intergrating into their more modern game, Like gear actually mattering.
3.There may have been some hurt feelings in regards to devs feeling their work on the modern version is getting eclipsed by an older game but see my second point.
4. It shows the middle level management they have an easy cash cow that requires little to no cost. Expect upto wrath, but not much further than that.

2 Likes

J. Allen Brack said “You think you do but you don’t”. Not Ion.

4 Likes

Ions just the one who made choices like nerfing warlocks in WoD since too many people were playing them, and they were about to lose alot of stuff to Demon Hunters, but at least if you progress slower than his guild, some mythic encounters will be hotfixed to be easier before you get to them lol.

No offense… but this is a really dumb post. Who is “they?” “They’re” a corporation. “They” dont have feelings. Their entire raison d’etre is to make money. So you can’t just say… putting aside financial reasons… Thats inane.

So… since Blizzard IS a corporation, and IS primarily directed by financial gain… obviously “they” want classic to succeed