Disconnecting every 15-20 minutes

If your router is lagging to 100ms on top of dropping 1 packet when talking to itself then you probably have an issue. Even if its only once out of the 845 times it could easily be the cause for all your awful worst ping times throughout that WinMTR.

You guys sure that’s not an issue from the server side? It started happening since Diablo’s launch and some times there is queue for logging back in battle.net. There is a same thread for Overwatch, people getting soft dced, people getting lag in HotS, Starcraft2 and Diablo4.

1 Like

This issue has been happening to me since diablo 4 launch as well. Its definitely on blizzards end. Ignore Wiçked hes a massive troll that thinks he actually knows what hes talking about.

1 Like

Considering the sheer amount of traffic caused by people wanting to play D4, this wouldn’t surprise me at all. In fact, I expected as much. I haven’t had any real issues since yesterday morning, but I think even Wicked would be foolish not to entertain the very real possibility, if not likelihood, of Blizzard’s servers being under intense strain. It has happened before, and it is probably happening right now, and it will happen again.

Looking at WinMTRs from those reporting identical symptoms, the issues are occurring to both 137.221.105.2 and 24.105.62.129, and do not seem isolated to any ISP (Spectrum, Comcast, and AT&T reporting) or geo (PST and EST timezones reporting). Could a battle.net issue be causing upstream effects within WoW?

Possibly related, possibly not - Frequently when pressing Log Out, the character select will show a black background with no characters shown before disconnecting within 20 seconds.

1 Like

@Vyrdormu

Your test was pretty short, It also appears you play from halfway around the world so its going to make tests like these look uglier than the connection actually is.

I am not happy seeing 10-15% consistent data loss after you cross the ocean to get to us but it may not be actual data loss. My best recommendation would be, give a VPN a shot and see if the issue improves. (Be aware we do not support vpn’s but you are permitted to use them as long as there are no restrictions in your country on them)

@Rafengears

Latency looks good, however there is significant data loss starting at hop three. This appears to be either within your local network or within the ISP’s network.

You send 1169 packets to our service but only 1590 even make it to us. Of that only 1569 make it back to you. That is definitely not going to make for a happy connection.

@Fropessor

I don’t like the latency spikes starting between your PC and Router/Modem but no data loss and average latency is good. Those latency spikes are not doing you have favors but I don’t think its the source of disconnections for you. However You say you disconnect every 15-20 minutes, was this test running when a disconnection occurred? If not can you run the test again to capture a disconnection? We want to see what is happening with the connection during a game disconnection.

For everyone else, A reminder that we do not condone personal attacks on these forums. You can disagree, but keep it civil and on topic.

If you would like us to look at connection data to aid in investigating the issue, please post a WinMTR like the above have. The test should be about 10 minutes long, and run while replicating the issue.

You are also welcome to do the basics as described in the common technical issues post. And if VPNs are legal in your country it is a great way to try and rule out a routing/internet level issue.

2 Likes

I think you want 1669, not 1169.

Heya Kershew,

I can confirm that the WinMTR was running while the disconnection occurred.

1 Like

Wish I could even make it to the 15-20 minute mark, logging into my priest in valdrakken I get DC’d within 30 seconds over and over again I can’t even make it out of the city, the DC issue has been getting worse over the past 2 weeks there is no way this entirely ISP related for so many people =/

2 Likes

I’m having the issue and so is everyone I know. I hope they fix it, the game is unplayable at this point.

2 Likes

Almost the entire first page of this forum is about people disconnecting. I think we can rule out being a user issue or ISP at this point.

The problem is definitely on Blizzard’s end.

3 Likes

The disconnects don’t seem to be related to connection problems. At least it doesn’t feel like a normal connection disconnect. You get booted to the main screen instantly just like you would when you fly into a rock and get booted to the main screen. A connection DC you typically get lag for a bit and can still move around in the world.

Is there something else we can submit to help here? Is someone reviewing the activity on the accounts that are reporting this? Usually I just get booted within a minute of logging in but last night during raid I was booted to the main screen almost a dozen times. (Between 10 PM and 1 AM EST on Tuesday June 13th)

2 Likes

Observing that Moon Guard seems very overrepresented in issue reports and adding that I am also experiencing this issue when connected to Moon Guard.

Anecdotally from MG trade chat, issue is more widespread on this server than the tech support forums would imply as well.

3 Likes

I am attempting to replicate the issue on Wyrmrest Accord and not able to.

edit: Attempted to replicate on both Crushridge and Aggramar unsuccessfully.

Would it be possible for folks in this thread to chime in with which realm they’re having connection issues to?

1 Like

I’m on moon guard and have also had this. I’ve updated drivers, bios, everything; I’ve reset routers and modems; I’ve even logged on in a different state for a work trip and have had an issue with this. It’s also just been a problem in the last two to three weeks for me. Wonder if that one (EDIT: super helpful person) who keeps posting is going to tell me to talk to my ISP about this since apparently they followed me 300 miles from my house in MN to my work trip near Chicago.

2 Likes

I am also on Moon Guard and getting randomly DC’d. Several people in my guild and friends on MG have been experiencing this issue since Diablo IV launched.

3 Likes

Yep — Moon Guard here too. Lots of my friends have been reporting this issue as well.

Disconnects are sporadic. Sometimes I can play for several hours without a single issue, sometimes I get randomly disconnected with 0 interruption to my other internet usage while sitting around a city or coasting around during a queue several times in a row. Every time I queue up for an LFR, at least one person in the raid gets disconnected but usually two or three people end up getting disconnected. I see it less in Solo Shuffle than I did a few weeks ago, but I’m still seeing at least one person disconnect for a round or two every couple of lobbies.

My issues started with the release of 10.1, but have gotten far more frequent since the Greedy Emissary event began.

3 Likes

Have you tried rebooting your computer? :wink: I laugh so I don’t cry.

This issue I’ve had on the character select screen for over a week with disconnects and the character select screen showing up black after logging out of a character. Now I’m getting booted every 30 seconds or something but not on all characters.

I logged into one character in Stormwind and used the auction house, other things for 5 minutes without a single problem. Another character (in Stormwind) I got disconnected just looking at her on the character select screen and turning her a little. On that same character I was getting disconnected every 30 seconds when logged in. I couldn’t even get to Valdrakken via the portal because it would DC me before it finished loading and send me back.

I finally disabled all addons on that character in a desperate attempt and I was able to log in and get to Valdrakken plus get to the last goblin spawn.

However it cannot be explained away by addons as it was occurring and continues to on the character select screen where no addons are loaded.

I do not think this is a network issue on the customer end. It is something either to do with a client bug or a server or Blizzard network issue. It could be some client code was changed and now the client is booting people it thinks meets certain conditions. It could be it’s doing something on the network end that kicks in rate limiting or other protection mechanisms on Blizzard’s end.

The fact that disabling addons had an effect is strange but I use all the same addons on all my characters so it isn’t a matter of a faulty addon on its own causing this. However lots of addons does tend to weigh down the client, slow things down, issue more network requests (for communication), many other things. But that may be a false lead as, addons have zero impact on the character screen where these problems started to manifest.

I’ve had the issue on Moon Guard but I do not think this has anything to do with network problems unless those are compounded by some other mechanism recently changed in the server or client code.

I have a fiber ISP, I have a wired connection from my computer. I have hosted services that constantly check for connectivity and are constantly communicating and I would notice if my service was experiencing issues via logs and graphs which would show dips.

1 Like

Funny that us people on the forums are coming to clues such as Moon Guard being affected more than others or the specific issue is isolated to Moon Guard but Blizzard with all their monitoring could not. Seems like nobody is even trying to look into this.

If you keep asking us to post MTRs but the only responses are saying they are fine seems pretty likely it doesn’t have anything to do with our network conditions and you could get us to try something else to help you out.

Its the same DC/boot as flying into rocks. The problem is probably being overlooked and assumed that people are getting the flying bug.

3 Likes