____ did nothing wrong

The Night Elves stopping trade because of the Wrathgate (a stupid reason, in my opinion) was Garrosh’s excuse for his war.

4 Likes

It wasn’t just Genn though most of the alliance was looking for blood. Varian wyrnn had just died. While we players know what really happened, all the alliance knew was that the horde abandoned them to the legion during the battle of broken shore.

I think a simple matter of communications would have solved that problem. Or you know, using context clues of the fact they’re is a massive funeral pyre in org.

It was also whoever the skyship admiral is, and whoever they were commanding, yes. But that doesn’t make what I said incorrect. It just means “Genn has plenty of people in the Alliance who agreed to help him even though losing to the Burning Legion means eternal soul torment and misery for everyone they know, care for, and love.”

1 Like

“Losing to the Burning Legion.” Odyn ultimately wanted to help more against the Legion than Sylvanas did. Some people think that Odyn would have just handed over the Aegis to Skovald, but that’s mostly said posters desperate attempts to save face, considering Odyn wanted you to assassinate Skovald from the very moment Odyn met you.

4 Likes

Could you elaborate on why you think this is a stupid reason? Unless the night elves had some special knowledge that the forsaken at large didn’t backstab everyone, I’m not sure why cutting off trade was unreasonable.

2 Likes

First time I ever heard it used was Griffith from Berserk, but I looked it up and you’re right, this started as a saying about Hitler.

Which makes using it at all pretty yikes, even though it’s mostly used ironically now.

It’s all the same soul, man.

Having a traumatic experience isn’t a free pass to go out and murder a bunch of people afterwards.

3 Likes

I’d like some elaboration on it ever being true in the first place. I’ve played since vanilla. Never heard anything about the elves trading lumber to the orcs.

I like Greymane because he’s flawed. I wouldn’t try to suggest he did nothing wrong. The fact he did many things wrong and is still learning from those mistakes is the reason I like him.

The one mistake he made that wasn’t confirmed to be a mistake is when he broke a ceasefire with the Horde. This is where I think people who say he did nothing wrong are coming from. The problem is that, even though it was an act of unprovoked aggression, the Horde actually was up to no good, and his actions prevented Sylvanas from committing another atrocity.

It’s kind of hard to learn a lesson from a mistake when your “mistake” ends up being the right thing to have done.

9 Likes

It was in one of the novels. I believe it was The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm, by Christie Golden.

Garrosh ramps up the war effort and makes a big push into Ashenvale in Cataclysm, taking a lot of ground and setting fire to Astranaar.

The book seemingly makes an attempt to justify this aggression by stating that the night elves broke ties with the Horde and stopped trading with them after the Wrathgate, which combined with all of the other stuff going on during Cataclysm, helps lead to a supply shortage in Orgrimmar.

Thrall also does something uncharacteristically callous in the book. Twilight’s Hammer starts mutilating night elves and using their body parts to display grotesque, taunting messages, framing the Horde for it. The night elves demand Thrall do something about this, but Thrall is unwilling to launch an investigation into his own people on behalf of the night elves, who helped cause their supply shortage by stopping trade.

Warcraft novels are garbage tbh.

7 Likes

Agreed. Only good one was Illidan imo.

I like how the Heroes of the Storm team even poked fun at it with Maiev.

If you’re not aware, all the stuff she’s talking about here takes place in Wolfheart. It gets, at most, a passing mention in a side quest in Legion where Maiev is like “maybe I went a bit far in a few places” and is never brought up again.

3 Likes

I don’t think wrath era Sylvanas actually did as much evil stuff, as say, Kael’thas. It was possibly the potential of what she was capable of for which she was sent to the Maw, as the souls that are a threat to the rest of the Shadowlands are sent there.

Then again, I think the Arbiter’s decisions are crap.

It was in the Shattering novel.

I agree, kind of. Characters with flaws and rough edges are more interesting and the alliance has precious little of those as it is. We could have much better faction stories if both sides were allowed to have their rogue elements.

The problem with Genn as I see it, especially from the perspective of horde players, is that his actions never seem to have real consequences.
It’s not so much about him making mistakes, it’s more that he gets away with things that would mean a certain death sentence if he were a horde character.

I can understand why that’s something that leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths, even though it doesn’t bother me personally.

11 Likes

I love Greymane. He’s about the only Alliance character that I like. But just because I like him doesn’t mean I can’t acknowledge that he was incredibly, flagrantly wrong.

1 Like

It’s supposed to be a meme. Why do you feel the need to write an essay about a meme just to make yourself seem like a genius to others?

1 Like

Thrall:

Your champion, Bolvar, died in defense of our world. The Horde is saddened by the loss of such a great hero, but the Horde was not responsible for the cowardly attacks made by Putress at the Wrathgate. We have also lost mighty heroes because of this betrayal.

Tell your king that we will do everything in our power to bring the perpetrators of this cowardly act to justice.

Varian:

They have lost the Undercity? Then the time to strike is now. We will deal with Putress ourselves and retake the Ruins of Lordaeron for the Alliance!

Broll Bearmantle:

Deep inside the bowels of the Undercity hides the assassin responsible for the deaths of Bolvar and our brave soldiers at the Wrathgate.

Varian has brought the full might of the Alliance with him to assist in the take down. Join him and Lady Proudmoore in the manhunt and earn your place among the greatest champions of the Alliance!

Speak to King Varian Wrynn when you are ready.

Broll’s next appearance is in Stormrage working closely with Tyrande to save Malfurion, which is set before The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm.

Thrall’s own words, from The Shattering:

“And thus it is that our land has given, as we have; given until it has almost given out. The war to the north is over. We must now turn our attention to our own lands, and our own needs. It is an unfortunate consequence of the events of the Wrath Gate that the Alliance has a fresh reason to oppose us. While I realize that to some of you this means nothing, and others are glad of it, I assure you that no one is glad of the fact that the night elves have, for the moment, shut down all trade avenues with us.”

Everyone present knew what that meant—no fresh lumber for building, no hunting rights in Ashenvale, no safe passage anywhere the Sentinels patrolled. There was silence for a moment, then unhappy murmuring.

“Warchief, if I may?”

It was Cairne, in his slow, calm voice. Thrall smiled at his old friend. “Please. Your advice is always welcome.”

“Our people have a connection with the night elves that the other races of the Horde do not,” Cairne continued. “We are both followers of the teachings of Cenarius. We even have a joint sanctuary, the Moonglade, where we meet in peace and converse, sharing what knowledge and wisdom we have obtained. While I understand that they are angry with the Horde, I do not think that all bonds will be severed. I think the druids might be good ambassadors for reopening discussions. Archdruid Hamuul Runetotem knows many kaldorei.”

He nodded at the archdruid, who rose to speak. “Indeed, Warchief. I have friendships with them that are years in the making. They may, as a race, resent us, but would take no pleasure in the thought of children starving to death, even the children of their so-called enemy. I have a high position in the Cenarion Circle. Negotiations could potentially be reopened, especially in light of the cooperation we have received with the treaty. If the warchief would permit me to approach them, perhaps we could prevail upon them to—”

“Prevail upon them? Negotiate? Pagh!” Garrosh actually spat on the floor as he spoke.

Garrosh retorted. “You, who have seen so many battles in your many, many years, should understand that! Yes, I disagreed with him. I said to him as I say to you, Warchief Thrall, let us not fret and whimper like kicked dogs about the night elves’ oh-so-delicate feelings. Let us move into Ashenvale now, before my troops are scattered, and simply take what we need!”

2 Likes

Marcus Redpath did nothing wrong. As soon as Sylvanas leaves, the Forsaken get to have elbows. Coincidence? I think not.

6 Likes