____ did nothing wrong

Handsome Jack, Magnus the Red, Vriska Serket, Bill Cypher, Edelgarde von Hresvelg, The Empire, Griffith, Homura, Feanor, Thanos, Shinji, Severus Snape, Magneto.

There is a single similarity for all these characters, and it is there is a large demographic of people who seem to believe these people who did a lot wrong, didn’t do anything wrong. Saying ____ DID NOTHING WRONG is generally done to mock these people. Why they do it is either because of fandom drama (People blaming everyone in Gravity Falls for the Apocalypse other then the Demon who caused it) or it’s mostly because people don’t like saying “I like this flawed or villainous character” and feel they need to defend them so they can feel good about themselves or it’s pure Meming in the case of Feanor and Thanos.

We have several cases of this in WoW, and i’ll go over each individual case one by one, why people feel the need to defend them (imo) and what they did wrong

GARITHOS: 90% sure this one is pure meming, the other 10% is that some people are salty the Belves went Horde. Anyway, even ignoring his attempts to get Kael’thas killed, dude was a terrible general. Like legit awful, guy got himself mind controlled by a dreadlord then allied with a later person on this list
DAELIN: This guy is awkward to talk about because blizzard seems adamant on proving him right. Basically he is the one responsible for reigniting hostilities between the alliance and horde under the belief the horde couldn’t be trusted, and then blizzard repeatably villain batted the horde until they… couldn’t be trusted, way to go guys. Let’s just say he wasn’t supposed to be right when Metzan and Crew wrote him.
ARTHAS: These guys really really liked Mr.Menethil, to an unhealthy degree. They beleive Stratholhme was justified and will defend it to the end, then convienaintly forget all the other awful crap arthas did (like leaving muradin to die and killing his own soldiers) and will claim he was possesed by the lich king (Ignoring the fact Arthas’ will is stronger then Ner’zhuls).
Garrosh: Orc Supremacist and hothead tyrant, Garrosh gains a lot of Sympathy points for his final moments and the fact you can quite obviously point out he was doomed to failure (Made Warchief in a reasource crisis with his own advisors hated his guts). He also was the one Horde Warchief in wow’s lifespan to actually care about making life better for a part of the horde, sure it was only the orcs, but it’s better then letting them starve in a desert for penance, doing literally nothing and dying, or our next canidate. Still man was a super racist hotheaded fool who’s warmongering is still felt thoughout the world.
Sylvanas: Sylvanas’ Defense Force exist for a variety of reason. One is the fact her characterization has been changed like 6 times so some authors might make her care a lot for the Forsaken, some will have her veiw them as meat shield. She also stole all the spotlight and themes of the Forsaken, so that part of the playerbase is super attatched to her because their entire society was trimmed away until it was only her left. Finally she is a female elf. On the other hand she is responsible for many, many atrocities from as far back as Cata, and in BfA she wen’t completely off the deep end and brutally murdered around 55% of the Night Elf population at the very least
Genn: Wolfman opposses Sylvanas so the part of the fanbase that hates Sylvie is far more willing to overlook the old mans flaws. Namely how he ruined a joint military front to chase after and try to kill Sylvanas. Sure blizzard tried to whitewash it by making her be evil, but Genn didn’t know that, he just wanted to kill her and was willing to reignite the alliance horde was to do it. Man also abandoned his allies to the scourge and his recklessness lead to his son taking an arrow to save his life.
Jaina: Jaina is fun because if they like war Jaina you can use peace Jaina to show why she’s bad (Such as abondening a perfectly good attack to let the people mourn, and being willing to let her father die), while if they like Peace Jaina you can use the Purge and trying to drown orc orphans as why she’s bad. Ultimately Jaina is less a character and more a series of personalities that take turns driving the super-powered wizard lady
Gallywix: He is the one character to do no wrong, sure he might be an arms manufacturing trying to exploit the wars the horde find itself in for maximum profit, sure he might have enslaved his entire cartel in an attempt to be even richer, but he is the hottest character in wow so it evens out.

22 Likes

guy got himself mind controlled by a dreadlord

How are you supposed to avoid being MCed by a dreadlord? If it weren’t for the ridiculous plot armor players have they’d probably all have been made mind slves ages ago.

13 Likes

Keep more mages around, I would say.

I didn’t actually think there were people who authentically believed Arthas did nothing wrong, but the other day I talked with one in the wild. They INSISTED that Arthas wasn’t in control at all, and even after acknowledging Arthas overwhelming Ner’zhul, they maintained that it was Frostmourne that made him do it all.

It was surreal.

19 Likes

If I remember right, the original meme’s referencing Hitler and then people go and sub out the name for whatever fandom’s villain of the month happens to be.

5 Likes

Garithos posts are some of my favorites. I even have one saved from the old OLD OLD forums. And one poster that reasoned the magnificence of his moustache precluded being bad. But the vast majority are tongue in cheek, the guy was made to be a buffoonish villain and overtly terrible. Which is what makes him fun to satirically defend.

Daelin though… Daelin is interesting if you take what his perspective would have been at the time, up until he ignored Jaina and reliable evidence presented to him. Because he wasn’t behaving irrationally up until that point- his entire experience with the Horde, and orcs in particular? Murder machines that dumped out of a hole in reality, utterly wiped out Stormwind, and nearly did for all of humanity before (again, from his perspective) their literal demon worshiping politics resulted in them imploding badly enough for them to be driven back.

Where he falls apart is when he ignores Jaina, makes exactly zero effort to look in to her claims, and ignores reality as he was blinded by the hatred formed by his precedent.

Garrosh… had a point. He saw the suffering of the Horde. He experienced Alliance raids. He wanted something better. And he didn’t start out as a supremacist, he just kept getting more belligerent and crazy until he was basically a Warhammer Orc on a WAAAAGH! My “I give up” point with him? Twilight Highlands intro, when he completely bungles the approach against the Twilight’s Hammer because he sees Alliance to attack and orders away the support for the zeppelin transports.

18 Likes

Pretty sure it started as a racist joke by chan lurking cave trolls bro.

1 Like

Out of all of them only one didn’t have the choice to be what they became. Blizzard describes only one of them being infinitely changed by their forced transformation.

Sylvanas did nothing wrong in a sense. The closest one that even come remotely close to what Sylvanas went through is Arthas and that’s still a far off comparison. Arthas got a choice in what he became, Sylvanas did not.

I cannot fathom for the life of me how anyone can blame someone Sylvanas for being forceably and infinitely changed. If a drone is made/programmed/wired to do a certain thing why blame the drone instead of its creator?

1 Like

This is a misunderstanding. No one is blaming Sylvanas for being changed against her will. Undead Sylvanas was sentenced for the choices she made that other undead did not.

20 Likes

Daily reminder that Garrosh was the best Warchief the Horde ever had.

I find this one especially hilarious when I see it brought up. It’s like they ignore enslaving his daughter, slaughtering people in a fit of paranoia and pretty much everything in the second half of the Pre Sequel when they say he did nothing wrong.

2 Likes

I belly laughed when I read this. I wish I had more likes to give you.

7 Likes

Picture this:

A soul is torn asunder and changed by dark magic. The dark magic is countered and lifted off the soul. The soul returns to its original state.

Here’s a rabbit hole for you. Should the original souls/pre violated soul get punished or someone else? Please elaborate.

Nothing indicates that this is possible.

If Sylvanas’ original fate was to go to Bastion, she would have been erased and turned into a Kyrian any way.

it was all troll land

3 Likes

Which supports my point even more. Sylvanas and the Forsaken were served massive poop sandwiches.

I’ve been dying to get more info on the souls of the undead, no pun intended. I honestly can’t remember how long i’ve been wanting the process to be fleshed out. One of the main reasons I’m super excited about Shadowlands is to get more insight about the undead.

Indeed they were. Yet some Forsaken still were sent to Bastion even after undeath corrupted their souls, while Sylvanas deserved to go to the Maw, hence:

7 Likes

I’m not really up to speed with the new stuff coming out because of alpha in all. I think maybe when SL gets closer, I’ll start looking at it more closely.

I sympathize with anything Genn does to spite Sylvanas. Now, I’m vocally anti-Sylvanas, but… my reasoning for this is simple: she killed his son. She also took his kingdom.

To me, Genn hunting Sylvanas is never about “Horde v. Alliance”. IRL, parents are low-key insane about their kids, and for good reasons too! So, I get Genn wanting to do anything to kill Sylvanas. For me, it’s always about, “I’m getting vengeance on the woman who took my son/kingdom”. I can 100% sympathize with that. He’s not trying to spark fire, or live on old grudges, or anything. His act in Stormheim wasn’t against the Horde, it was against Sylvanas. He doesn’t like the Horde, but he’s mostly trying to avenge his son, not start a war.

Now, that said, his actions in Stormheim were… stupid. Not to say he did nothing wrong. He did. The third full invasion of the Burning Legion? Bro, pick a better time to fight your grudge match. But frankly, Sylvanas selling it as “He’s going to lead a crusade against the Horde!” is more of a testament to her manipulative nature than it is a reflection of fact. In truth, he’s not leading a crusade against the Horde, he’s leading one against Sylvanas, and she spun it as the Horde, because she was made Warchief.

21 Likes

That cinematic where he just straight up played her is easily my favorite one in Legion, and quite possibly during 15 years of this game. Definitely top 5…probably top 3.

I am willing to forgive him that tactical blunder for that.

Also:

That is hardly fair. Forsaken forces were already invading his kingdom, and there was a massive fight to get it back. Liam was involved in this, and he sacrificed himself to save his father.

People make it sound like Genn had downed like a quart of Jack and was blindfolded when he walked into Orgrimmar or something.

21 Likes