Delves Tuning, Sept 12th

yeah, they cannot keep out of their own way and screwed it up, but I think the plan is I’m supposed to do the 8 delves of a tier I can do this week and get 1 piece of higher tier upgrade gear a week from the great vault so that in 10 weeks I’ll have enough improved gear to be able to progress.

That’s the amazing WoW endgame I’m told is incomparably better than other games.

2 Likes

It’s currently capped at 38 according to WoWhead and you can only get xp from bountiful but you can do it on alts so if you have alts with coffer keys you can level it faster than people playing one character.

When these were announced way back when, I initially believed they would be these mini-dungeons filled with trap mechanics/area-damage you need to avoid. This eliminated talent specs, since every spec would be able to move and avoid damage.

Instead, there were mini-dungeons where the bosses have area-damage you need to avoid, while the monsters leading to the bosses are over-tuned and are serious threats. Certain talent specs will excel, while others will struggle or fail.

The monsters leading to a boss don’t need to be a threat, they shouldn’t be the threat. The threat should be avoidable damage so all specs can survive without major healing. While some spells they cast can be interrupted, they just use it again before your interrupt cooldown is up. The auto-attack damage should be barely a problem since again, they’re just your basic enemies, they should not be a threat.

The best example I can think of are the Souls games. All the damage is avoidable, you can dodge, roll, block, or simply move out of the way. All specs can heal, be it with a flask or a healing spell. The bosses hit hard, but you have so many ways to mitigate it. While the enemies leading to a boss remain a threat, again, you have so many ways to mitigate the threat and you can easily dispatch multiple enemies without being hit. Their attacks don’t automatically hit you.

The key point is why do the monsters leading to the bosses hit so hard?

While I’ve learned to just let Brann aggro everything and pull one at a time (if it’s allowed, one of the delves today has them always come in packs), I did find a secret treasure and the monster was auto-attacking me for over 1 million damage and it was hitting really fast. It was impossible to kill so I just left it.

The bosses are so perfect, at least, the ones that don’t have an AoE that can’t be avoided (the scarab lord and his swarm, you can’t range it, you have to use defensives). The big boss himself (Zelvik or whatever) is great. It’s just, get rid of the little monsters that hit so incredibly hard. They don’t need to be that overtuned. Make them literal fodder.

1 Like

Also

Beta testing is more about ensuring that nothing will outright break the game, not about making sure everyone is happy with every detail. Sometimes the devs know about certain issues, but they won’t fix them during beta because they need more data from live gameplay to make proper adjustments. The focus is on catching game-breaking bugs or major problems, not perfecting every single balance issue before launch.

Like I’ll try and give a real world example. At most jobs if you find a problem they often want multiple examples, sometimes those examples might have shown up during testing, but usually someone signed off on it at least from a functional standpoint. Blizzard I assure you does do internal testing. It’s just not necessary checking for what people in the forums think they are checking for.

Should companies what you’re suggesting maybe. I’d say usually ff14 does a fair job. Although even they have issues on release although they tend to do a better job of meeting your particular expectations.

FFXIV can fine-tune things more effectively during its beta phases because it simply has less content to balance compared to WoW, not because they’re inherently better at it. WoW has a much larger variety of classes, abilities, and systems that make testing far more complex. FFXIV’s more streamlined approach allows for quicker adjustments, whereas WoW’s vast content makes it harder to nail down every issue during beta.

And yeah my ff14 name is Warcraft. So I like both titles each has pros and cons.

1 Like

Because we like talking, not turning in resumes for judgement by toxic try hards.

2 Likes

Developers note: We made Solo still terrible and we want it too be terrible for all group sizes.

5 Likes

I just can’t believe it is intended that Brann would be leveled this fast (leveled again this fast) …

Sorry, what?

I’m a solo player.

I play with no clutter.

How is that being judgemental, saying that players who play solo may not have the communications channels open to know that solo is harder?

Edit: misread their reply, see below.

I think you’re misunderstanding my post.

Ah yes, I did.

My apologies.

I just came to the forums because I got my ticket punched last night, while soloing; otherwise I wouldn’t have known group content was easier.

2 Likes

Oh yeah I lost two lives to him earlier. That venom is no joke.

On the first day we killed mobs in T11 delves with 2 people a lot faster than I can kill stuff on a T11 now solo on a healer and my Brann was only level 15 that day.

The scaling was so weird it’s hard to say what the difficulty was really supposed to be or how strong Brann should be at different levels.

1 Like

You shouldnt be doing end game delve content week 1. Its tuned appropriately.

Honestly, yeah. People doing deathless 11s and Zekvir at 590 ilev when we go to 640 this tier is madness.

So I’m sure nobody should be able to get max ilvl vault slots from M+ next week either.

As to the key point.

The monsters before the boss hit hard to keep the encounter challenging and prevent players from just cruising through. If those mobs were easy, players wouldn’t need to worry about survival or strategy, and the lives system wouldn’t matter. Tough mobs force players to manage their resources and be cautious.

Otherwise it would just be try the boss 5 times the instance or how many extra lives you get now.

To that end why have the mobs at all if nothing matters til the boss. Now personally I’d like something like that, but that’s probably just me.

I don’t feel I’ve missed out. Still sitting on almost all my keys. Sometimes there are benefits to waiting.

because /1 exists in every instance.

And I play solo with no chat window.

How exactly would I have known?

I know for a fact I’m not the only one.

To be honest, I’m all for hotfixes, but when it changes player progression it’s probably a good idea to wait for the weekly reset.