Delete thread

This is happening to my husband right now to and he didn’t do anything. They even silenced him here so he can’t reply to this. He can’t even correct the issue if he doesn’t know what the heck happened and now he is worried it is going to happen again after the time is up.

Same for my husband

Generally in-game suspensions or bans carry over to the forums automatically. Posting is a benefit of having an account currently in “good standing”.

He will have to submit his appeal and keep doing so until they tell him they will penalize his account if he does not stop. False positives happen and the first appeal is often a bit automated. Give it some time and have him appeal again if his first was declined.

I have no idea what this ban wave is about either, and have not seen the wording before. Keep in mind though, that any account sharing (pilots/carries/etc), win trading, etc would be against the rules. Not saying he did that, but that is a place to start thinking about what might have triggered it.

8 Likes

My husband doesn’t have a VPN and this just happened to him at the same time it seemed to hit everyone else.

Sadly the very first appeal stated they wouldn’t look into it further and the link they provided was broken. He has poured so much into this game and it’s sad that players can get caught up in suspensions. There should be a warning system if they are not willing to provide exact details of the wrong doing. I hope everyone gets it resolved that should have it resolved. (If he did something wrong he absolutely takes responsibility, but there seems to be nothing.)

They can’t provide details on this kind of thing, or most account actions, as that would be what folks whom make bots/programs to get around how they was found out. The only time that I know of they do provide such for is chat related actions.

7 Likes

so if you make two accounts on the same email or whatever it is you can do. and you use one of those to buy gold or cheat. all of them get the ban. that’s how im reading this.

The EULA is considered the warning we get. Along with the game policies.

• No automation of any kind. Do not use software or hardware to automate gameplay outside of what the in-game macro system does. Stick with the in-game tools.
  • No account sharing of any kind. Nobody can log into someone else’s account. Exception being one minor child they are the legal guardian of.
  • No win trading.
  • No utilizing exploits for gain. If a bug in game seems too good to be true, it is.
  • No real money for anything at all in-game. You can’t buy or sell game services, gear, mats, gold, etc for real money.

There are more, but you can read the EULA here https://www.blizzard.com/en-gb/legal/fba4d00f-c7e4-4883-b8b9-1b4500a402ea/blizzard-end-user-license-agreement

While an entire Battlenet account can get closed, it is usually license specific.

6 Likes

Please have your husband continue to appeal. I believe that first response about appeals not being looked at anymore is just a template response. He can appeal multiple times until he is told to stop.

Is in-game suspensions carrying over to the forums a new thing? I don’t remember this. I know forum suspensions don’t carry over to the game so maybe that’s what I’m thinking about.

2 Likes

The fact they ban without specifically telling you the action that caused it is the most annoying. Feels like a law should be passed otherwise a company could just ban everybody in a rugpull. I keep asking what caused my ban and still get the same auto response type email. Along with broken links to articles that dont exist.

1 Like

Blizzard will give you the category usually, but not the details. The reason they do this is because bot and cheat makers would LOVE to know how Blizzard figured out what they were doing and confirmed detection. Most of the time the category gives people enough of a clue to realize what they were up to.

I have no idea what this ban wave is about either, and have not seen the wording before. Keep in mind though, that any account sharing (pilots/carries/etc), win trading, etc would be against the rules. Not saying you did that, but that is a place to start thinking about what might have triggered it. Reminds me of the Mage Tower suspension wave.

6 Likes

What broken links or articles are they sending you to? If you can provide some information about this, perhaps we can come up with viable links for you.

This one would be the most obvious one I’m taking a stab at (and just updated 4 hours ago at the time of me posting this):

I would strongly advise you to be mindful of pushing through ticket after ticket demanding information that you’re not going to receive. Appeals are allowed until they warn you that they will not accept anything further. But if you also keep at the tickets of asking the same question over and over again, you absolutely will be pushing into GM harassment territory.

Blizzard has not ever specified what exactly the explicit reasoning or cause of a sanction is. It is exactly what arm-chair-lawyers want as well as cheaters and botters to stay on top of their illegal practices.

Blizzard is a private company. If you don’t like the rules and how they may be applied to your account at any given time? You don’t have to purchase the expansions and pay for your subscription. Perhaps you should thoroughly read all of the fine print of what you agree to when you make your purchases. They’re all laid out pretty clearly for public consumption.

7 Likes

Please read the EULA:

1. Blizzard reserves the right to terminate this Agreement at any time for any reason, or for no reason, with or without notice to you. For purposes of explanation and not limitation, most Account suspensions and terminations are the result of violations of this Agreement. In case of minor violations of these rules, Blizzard may provide you with a prior warning and/or suspend your use of the Account due to your non-compliance prior to terminating the Agreement or modifying or deleting an Account.
8 Likes

When an account action is overturn, they’re given game time for the time wasted, not credit.

2 Likes

I’m not contesting the EULA. Hypothetically speaking, Blizzard could wipe every account on the game, then cite their EULA as justification. That does not make it right. A decent company should only need to cite their EULA or terminate an account when it violates a certain code.

1 Like

Thank you. I was unaware.

1 Like

Wow, alrighty then. Where to even start? While Warden may detect things, there are still investigations done by real live people. Those sanctions that come down are due to those investigations - by real live people. Appeals are handled by real live people. You’re putting out a lot of assumptions without any basis and this is not the place for it.

Has no bearing here. If you’d like to make a suggestion or offer your feedback? This is not the place for it. You can direct that to the in-game suggestion and feedback interface. Or if you are one of those affected by this recent wave, you can provide it through the survey you receive when the ticket is resolved.

Zenjy and Alvraen hit everything else I was going to say while I’m sitting over here being long-winded. :sweat_smile:

This forum is not one for discussion or offering your thoughts and suggestions of how Blizzard operates and makes its policies. Breaching into this sort of thing increases the likelihood of a thread being locked down, rather than it being a resource for players in this current position.

8 Likes

These bans are not conducted by AI! They might use AI to help detect possible problems and then a human reviews the data. Many times they might even watch the account for a while to see if the same thing keeps happening. They are never in a rush to ban.

Plus if your doing something like hacking they want to see how you might be doing that and find a way to break it and or detect it faster.

VPN’s normally not a problem for most players. You have to use the same one with the same location all the time. Also when the first time you use one make sure your logged off a decent amount of time before doing so. Do not want to look like you teleported across the country in a hour.

Also NEVER USE FREE VPN’S NEVER!!!

1 Like

I used to monitor IPs for a site years ago to keep tabs on users with multiple accounts/family members/etc. It was always easy to figure out someone was using a VPN but separating people who just happened to all show up under the same IP through said VPN was a challenge. And yes, even paid ones gave us grief at times. :joy:

The biggest difference I see is unless someone was in literal danger, we wouldn’t take action until we had enough evidence to make the jaws fall off of the Supreme Court judges because we never wanted to wrongly ban someone or penalize them. Blizz, I imagine, probably prefers to error on the side of caution.

Someone I know IRL now has this issue. Except I couldn’t convince them to appeal because they were offended by having their good-standing 9-year-old account accused of such a thing and decided to never play blizz games again. :roll_eyes:

I hope Blizz can find better ways to handle these things in the future. I understand the need to be safe, but if VPNs are causing the issue for them, I don’t think it’s unreasonable for them to speak up and just say it. Or even offer more clarity on the effects VPNs have on account monitoring. Some people I’ve spoken to didn’t realize the full extent of VPNs. :confused:

I use a VPN every single day.

It is extremely unlikely that this is due to anything of the sort. This is due to account sharing based on the information that has been provided.

If people choose not to appeal, that’s up to them. It’s silly that someone would play for 9 years and then just up and quit instead of appealing. That looks super-suspicious to me personally.

In any event, the only thing anyone affected by this can do is appeal via a ticket.

12 Likes