Declining real life friends due to low R.IO?

Could just do the normal thing. Take them on some lower keys, help them get some gear and progressively get better with them as a group. Doing keys as a group is more fun than pugging and hoping the IO is accurate.

Devil’s advocate
 should he waste his free time gearing flaky people?

The vitriol in the responses in this thread is pretty awful. Good Lord.

I have been on both sides of this. I once had RL friends who were significantly more geared and experienced than me, and I now have several RL friends who play the game at a significantly lower level than me.

The fact is you simply can’t bring them to your level of runs. No one will do the runs. The amount of carry someone will tolerate for another player’s friend on a progression run for them is a couple hundred io points at most.

You are entitled to continue to progress, and until your friends get to your level, yes, you’ll need to do it without them. This isn’t a big deal, I doubt you spend all day in progression keys. When they start reaching the point that they’re qualified for the key, I do believe you have a friendship obligation to bring them. By extension though, they should have worthwhile keys of their own at that point, and they’re obligated to return the favor.

Outside of your own progression runs, you should help them catch up. Push their keys, w
pimp out your io score, carry them to quick 1k scores and decent gear. Don’t burn yourself out doing it, but just enjoy hanging out with your friends doing something you’re good at and help them progress.

And if they have bad attitudes about it, don’t play with them. I had one buddy I just had to quit helping because I realized my paying customers for carry sales were nicer about it.

1 Like

They might become assets later on to push even better keys than he previously could?

A returning player is flaky? I don’t get your logic here.

this 100%

they’re friends, and op should help them out as he can. but dragging them along into keys so far above their gear isn’t going to help anyone and just burn keys and strain the friendship. that being said

i wouldn’t just tell them

i would show them

round up those friends, drag them off to a +10 and let them get roflstomped a few good times

1 Like

He doesn’t need to push his higher keys with them though, he can get that done on his own first. Nowhere in his post does he state that they want to tag along on a higher key. He can do Mythic 0 and use their lower keys to help them out, it’s what most people do these days when they know that others won’t be able to handle the harder content.

then i misunderstood most of his posts. i had the impression they wanted to come along at his level of content right after hitting 120 and that’s just not how m+ works, lol.

i do like you say a lot, i run friends through mythic 0 and +2/+4 all the time. as they get better gear and experience, they’ll finish higher timers and get better keys, but not right away and all that:)

All I got off of him was, well I wasn’t able to get into anything for months due to my low score so I think my friends should experience the same.

Frankly, I wonder if said friends would still support him if they actually read this thread all about them. I have people who have come back after years of not playing retail. I have no problems hopping on an alt to help them out, but that’s just me.

i left for 6+ years and only just came back after 8.2

i had pretty good experiences. BfA really is kinda toxic to new people, i’ll admit. i floundered because so much was different from when i last played in cata.

but i have found that as i work my way up to higher keys?

people get more nice, professional, understanding, and willing to teach, for the most part. i don’t have a high io score, but i don’t try to join groups higher than my comfort zone. i always whisper the group leader first and let them know i’m learning, what my gear level is, and that i’m willing to stick around even if we don’t make the timer.

i hardly ever get turned down, despite low IO score, because it proves i’m not a mindless drone looking for a carry.

1 Like

“They have almost no R . IO to speak of but they think, despite all that, I should take them on my dungeon runs.”
To me, that says that he has a +15 key, he’s looking to run it, and they are pressuring him to take them along despite the fact they are in no way qualified for it. It’s not unusual, I see guildies beg people to let them run keys way above their experience level all the time.

If he’s stated somewhere that he’s just flat out not interested in helping them out in their lower keys, that’s different, but that’s not the vibe I get.

2 Likes

Wholeheartedly agree, I have never had an issue with IO personally, but this OP has posted a bunch of threads about banning it. Just click on his name to see the threads. His last post was the kicker for me.

It takes mere minutes to explain the higher key being trashed by bringing lowbies. It takes just a few more to say hey I can help you with something on your level. It’s just a lack of communication.

I’ve seen his stuff on the forums since the beginning, including that exact thread, and posted in quite a few of his threads. I’m actually impressed with the progress he’s made going from just another guy blaming the system to understanding what it takes to succeed and starting to make decent progress in M+.

Like I said, if he’s outright refusing to play with his friends until they get better, that’s pretty awful. But nothing indicates that to be the case to me. My experiences show that lower performing friends & guildies can feel pretty entitled to your key and try to make you feel pretty bad for not taking them. I’ve never met his friends, I dunno what they’re like or the specifics of what they’re demanding. I do know that he largely gets all his personal progression from running his own key, having learned that from the responses to his threads griping about always getting declined, so I would expect him to be pretty protective of it.

I bet your friends are just using you for your precious IO score. Don’t let them win. Just ignore them in game. If they come by your house, turn off the lights and close the blinds. You’ll show them!

1 Like

Are they good players, do they know their class, know how to make plays have strats researched and are on the ball majority of the time? If yes I would totally carry them for better gear. Good players perform well regardless of their gearscore.

Are they the type of player that doesn’t know their rotation, dies to every single mechanic and hasn’t got a clue how strats work? Well those friends are actually the worst in WoW. No I would absolutely not carry them, tell them to go RP or LFR or something

Time to earn my social points :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just treat it like an ironman challenge or take time to give them a tour of the stuff. Also might consider pointing them out to the story questlines and war campaign stuff since that will help with unlocking WQs for decent emissary chest rewards and Heart of Azeroth upgrades. Then when they actually get quests to go into dungeons or raids, you might just help them through for those. They’ll get in the swing of things.

The Raid io or other scoring methods are fine when you need a quick way to nab randos you hope might keep up, but RL friends should just be a separate bucket.

What was that fight simulating thing called? The pandaren theme one where you go to an instane and practice being a tank, healer, or dps and they have some (but nowhere near all) mechanics. Also class trial tutorial does alright helping people get a not-horrible rotation up and running. Beyond that, just reading the mechanics of any given dungeon/raid in wowhead is decently entertaining if UP can’t talk them through mechanics on discord.

Proving grounds.

Well they are welcome to look all of that up themselves, I don’t waste the limited amount of time I have to play to spend it all teaching someone else, even if they are a mate.

Besides people don’t learn when you throw information at them, they learn far better when they learn to educate themselves.