Dear GhostCrawler

We miss you.

58 Likes

How things changes, he was hated in his time. Tbh the same things happens with expansions.

And just like this in the future we gonna read people saying the miss BfA, because i hear the same now of MoP or WoD yet in their time those expansions were hated.

28 Likes

Authority figures always attract the most criticism. People hate you when you’re there, and miss you when you’re not, even though they never even knew you.

7 Likes

We do? I don’t miss him.

12 Likes

Even though the players complained about him and called him names?

Yeah, I am sure he misses us, too

4 Likes

You really think people are gonna look back at bfa and reflect on it as a great expansion because:

“yeah having to grind a million island expeditions for no reward at all was so fun!”

Or “all reps being lazily tied to world quests only was such an innovative idea! Bring that back!”

Or “man what an awesome idea to tie artifact power to 4 slots and Make most items in the game suck horribly! Titanforging baby!”

Or “hey the best way to make bosses interesting is to make their mechanics 4 pages long!”

Mop is praised now because it was the last time we had any sort of decent class identity. At the time - yeah it was critiqued - but I don’t remember it getting the same amount of hate as bfa or wod. And I certainly don’t see people looking back at bfa or wod as a success

30 Likes

I am pretty sure he would be loved now because he would never have removed/ made some of these changes these guys did like removing flying.

4 Likes

Much like every expansion this game has ever had, the players hate you when you’re here, Miss you when you’re done.

2 Likes

I thought you meant a hunter’s pet being taken or something… but people’s comments indicate otherwise. :woman_shrugging:

I dunno, you don’t see too many people pining for Celestalon to come back and develop classes, do you?

It is definitely a hindsight is 20/20 thing, but GC was a pretty good lead dev and it’s reasonable to miss him.

4 Likes

If I recall, he actually had a presence here. Then people berated him, now there is no presence here.

3 Likes

Ghostcrawler - AKA Greg Street. Lead system designer for World of Warcraft. Started in TBC, left shortly after Cataclysm launched for Riot games. He actually believed in communicating with the players and would post on the forums fairly regularly.

People complained about him because he had the ‘joy’ of bringing us the bad news. They called him names because he also explained the rationale for those decisions they disagreed with. And if you read his comments at the time, not only was he fully aware it was going to happen and professional enough to take it on the chin with a grin but I honestly believe he enjoyed it. He loved getting the Paladin community’s hackles raised for example. And I can see why.

In Wrath they literally got everything on the Paladin wishlist. Better healing toolkit, Mana turned into a renewable resource and gear to support all 3 specs which lead to a perfectly viable tanking spec - not just good in dungeons and maybe viable in raids for trash if you had the exact right gear set, and Ret was maybe third place behind mage and rogue most of the expansion. Some people still complained it wasn’t powerful enough or still had hard counters in PVP cause there was still a bit of rock paper scissors in PVP at the time.

9 Likes

I think it’s a case where ‘Sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don’t.’ In his time, Ghostcrawler was responsible for class changes people didn’t like. Popped in to explain those changes - no one else did. The nail that sticks up is the one that tends to get the hammer. So of course the dissatisfied people complained about him.

But I think if they knew what they were in for come future expansions the players would’ve begged him to hang around. Riot’s players don’t know how good they’ve got it with him around.

1 Like

Indeed, he was the Ion of his time and if he came back and replaced Ion all that would change is the people giving Ion guff right now would switch to giving GC a hard time.

People just want a figurehead to point and blame.

9 Likes

Ion doesn’t come remotely close to how good Greg was.

19 Likes

He brought on celestalon and holinka…

Negatives aside he actually communicated with the player base something I can’t say about our current CM team. Its obvious bornakk and kaivax dislike thier jobs.

4 Likes

Uh no thats not gonna happen. Thats like saying people will miss WoD which no one does.

Under his wing class design got better as the game got older. Quite literally when he left class design got worse.

With GC: People complained about Class Balance.

With Ion: People complain about class balance, class design, pruning, and GCD change.

6 Likes

No we dont

I would say the complaints that will never change(generally class balance) will still be there thats a given. But the magnitude is the difference in night and day. If class balance is the only thing i am complaining about than it would be 10x better than what we have now. Now to mention at least GC did balance patches regularly.

1 Like

I didn’t like GC much, he stuck me as a very egotistical man, but really, Ion makes the man look like Budha…

4 Likes