Dazar'alor is revenge for Teldrassil

To be perfectly honest I don’t know the current state of Gilneas. I think it’s supposed to be contested between the two but it’s basically in Limbo. The back side of Lordaeron is protected by a sheer cliffside so I don’t see the Alliance being able to mount an easy attack from Arathi since they’d have to go through Hillsbrad and Silverpine.

I don’t believe for a second that Malfurion would ever do this after what happened with Fandral. He had forbade Fandral from doing it in the first place. And this time there are no dragon aspects to bless the tree after the fact.

No this is about the actual torture camp where Barnabas or whatever his name is and that one Plague Doctor are actively capturing and torturing survivors.

You’ve made it pretty clear that you don’t view the story as a living breathing world and just view it as a piece of entertainment. Which is fine you do you. But it means there’s zero common ground for you and me to actually have a discussion beyond just disagreeing back and forth all day.

1 Like

Yeah, they’re always wishy washy about Gilneas, so I never know what’s up about it.

But the thing is, Arathor is water-border city. The Alliance can infact sail back to Lordaeron, and it might even be faster than marching.

Malfurion was pretty staunchly anti worgen, and then the human worgen became a thing. Malfurion was pretty staunchly neutral, and then Sylvanas became a thing.

BFA, for better and also for much worse, is an expansion about change.

I’ll take your word for it. I’ve done the zone on both sides, but I mostly just powered through it.

Sure. That doesn’t mean that I don’t care about the story, though. I’ve already established that I care about characters, such as the legendary Troll King Rastakhan. But Rastakhan is megalythic in nature. The guy you met at level 10 who asked for twelve cat spleens is not.

I mean, you could’ve said that without ad hominem, though. Like right there.

I’m kind of in the middle of this discussion. The way I feel about things is this: I don’t have a emotional attachment to the numbers, that is to say it is hard for me to be outraged on any level about what happened in Darnassus, save from the zoomed out macro level, because we don’t know what that means for the Night Elf population, they are just a weak attempt to pull at my heartstrings.

However, HOWEVER.

I disagree with Treng on this: I get emotional attachment to vendors, level 10 quest givers, leatherworkers, blacksmiths, the people who we actually get a face and a name to. I understand being upset about THAT perfectly well, I am overjoyed whenever I find someone from the siege of UC who had survived, and I was upset when Parqual Finatas, a low level Forsaken NPC who gave quests, was slain on the leadup to UC.

For me what matters the most is that name and that face, I can’t easily connect emotionally otherwise.

3 Likes

Who’d you find that survived? I considered bringing up the topic that we only get nameless forsaken in Orgrimmar, further supporting that the little guys don’t matter.

In Elegy during the bit where Tyrande gives a name to the infant that Genn’s wife carried through the portal. Tyrande calls it a genocide. All they have left are the outposts scattered across Kalimdor and the main Sentinel base in Feralas.

Maybe I’m over invested in the story but I look at it from the point of a someone who lives in that world. To realize that the majority of your race was just wiped out? It doesn’t matter if you knew them specifically or not. That’s devastating.

2 Likes

Althyest, Aleric Hawkins, the War Quarter weapons vendors, Faranell of course and apothecary Zinn, these are all people who show up in Darkshore. Heck there’s even one Forsaken NPC from outside UC who shows up in the Arathi, doctor Victor of Horde Trauma.

Some of them have been turned into quest mobs unfortunately, like the Leper Gnome Crispin and Apothecary Jerrod, who are killed in Alliance questing in Drustvar. there are others but ill need to go back through my stuff to find them all.

I am almost certain i’v probably killed Worgen and Night Elves who used to be quest givers before the War of Thorns, something I don’t really feel good about considering i’m getting the same.

1 Like

To be honest, I’m jealous you’re still able to invest yourself in the story enough to want to look at it in-character. I’ve been checked out since the prepatch and don’t really think of the characters as people anymore.

Don’t be jealous. I log in maybe once or twice a month to do the Darkshore Warfront for transmog and kill the rares that drop mounts in Darkshore and that’s it. I haven’t been able to Roleplay in WoW since the launch of the War of Thorns event.

1 Like

I think the problem for me with that is that without a name to attach to, it actually sucks me out of the story. It becomes really apparent that it’s emotional manipulation to try and get me to feel bad, for me to get fully immersed you need to show me, not tell me.

Seeing a bunch of NPCs who i’v just talked to in one way or another has a much stronger emotional impact, because at that point it’s someone that I, in some small way know, rather then just suffering shoved in my face, if that makes any sense.

They do show you to a certain extent. I don’t know if you play an Alliance character or if you did during the Pre-patch. But everyone by now knows about the infamous quest to save 999 civilians or whatever the number was. It’s not to the exact scale cause you never leave Darnassus, but then again when is the game ever to exact scale, but it still, for me at least, really let the fact that majority chunk of the Night Elf population went up in flames sink in and have an impact on me.

But like I said maybe I’m to invested in the story. I’ve been a staunch Kaldorei fanboy since I started playing in late BC / early Wrath.

2 Likes

I did actually see that, and it was pretty horrifying, and then…this happened.

https://i.redd.it/hkfo8wwq7t711.png

Immersion OBLITERATED.

1 Like

I think that the average poster is fully aware that Teldrassil was a genocide. It ruined my faction, permanently. The effects are felt for as far as you can see in the setting.

The latter part, I understand. Your race getting dunked on sucks. But at least on my end, that isn’t about a bunch of quest givers. That’s about Blizzard clearly undervaluing the race that you play. One of those two options has far weightier implications.

Neat! I remember the trauma doctor from vanilla, back when everybody needed to do first aid.

For the Horde, we run the very real danger of never getting new NPCs to replace what are lost, so I feel you here. The Alliance usually has new npcs before they lose their old ones, so this is the first foray the Alliance has had into Horde territory. With population numbers being what Blizzard decides they are, and

Actually, I guess it doesn’t matter if I finish that thought.

Yeah, like I don’t care about the nameless npcs, but I care that my character didn’t immediately behead Sylvanas for turning the Horde into a bunch of civilian killing murderers just two quests after we espouse the idealism of never killing civilians.

And this, here, leans to what I was saying about Blizzard and population numbers.

I knew of the Worgen sitting in the fire meme. Which is why I actively stayed away from his location when doing the quest because I knew it would ruin my immersion into what was happening.

But that’s part of the problem really, and it doesn’t help that despite the fact a genocide just happened…no one in the story Hordeside really talks about it. Baine didn’t mention Darnassus until RIGHT NOW, A PATCH AND A HALF LATER.

…Actually it’s not even Baine, it’s Lor’themar.

Blizzard had written this tragedy in such a way that unless you do what you did, which is actively ignore a part of the quest they made to display said tragedy, it’s been robbed of all gravity.

1 Like

see’s this thread has degenerated into a “who has it worse” whinefest.

They also manufacture nelf hate with lorrash.

I don’t know if they tried to meme the BoL for the Horde. But I never expected Blizzard to respect the Night Elf community. They showed that they never will since Cataclysm and Wolfheart.

They didn’t meme BoL to my knowledge, though we have a different problem in that…we pretty much don’t even know what’s going on there right now?

Does the Horde control it? the Alliance? if the latter will we ever get it back?

shrugs

If you go to the Glades right now the only Alliance presence is left behind / destroyed siege tech. There are no Alliance NPCs patrolling outside of the Undercity and as far as I know the boats are gone too.

Like I said earlier as far as I can tell nothing is stopping the Horde from reclaiming Undercity and rebuilding Brill right now.

Well the sea of blight kinda stops that, but yeah, the reason is simple, blizzard has no idea on how one properly does a military operation.

4 Likes