Danuser+Ion Sriracha Take on retcons and lore

The only thing that he was saying is that basically “maybe the scourge was good from a certain pov” or “maybe the breakers/Arrakkoa had good motives for doing x” etc but it is literally observing a war from an alienspov.

Danuser just wants to keep the possibility of an unreliable narrator in his back pocket in case he ever wants to retcon something, or if he makes a massive lore mistake.

It’s literally just a way to avoid accountability while also keeping doors open for shallow pandering.

32 Likes

The most quoted example is from the final boss of the old kingdom dungeon where the old god minion says that his creators cannot die. A lot of posters take that obvious propaganda as fact.

Dafaq?

Making a good story with proper foreshadowing and pay offs is the best way to keep your audience engaged. Just providing baseless spectacle after baseless spectacle is how you get Michael Bay movies. If Danuser actually meant that, he needs to go.

3 Likes

I made a thread stating that was what Danuser was doing, and everyone lambasted me for it as if I was illiterate.
Lmao.

3 Likes

That’s my interpretation that may or may not be true. Fits in my mind, but english is not my native language, I can miss stuff, etc. The full quote is in the quote block, and there might be link to the original somewhere in the blog post which mentioned Danuser’s thoughts on the theme.

gl hf

1 Like

tbh, given Danusers history it might actually be true. The man thinks that GoT season 8 = shakespear after all.

2 Likes

I’ve said it time and again: Do not buy their books. Do not buy their out of game media. They are intentionally selling you lies.

12 Likes

So, after a quick look. The blogpost which I’ve read
https://ilkohall.blogspot.com/2021/02/shadowlands-empty-manipulations-with-no.html

mentions

In the past, Steve Danuser had a personal blog called “Mobhunter” and it stopped existing somewhere in 2016, I believe. Gladly for you and me, it’s saved on Internet Archive and we can get an insight into his work philosophy.

which has a link to

https://web.archive.org/web/20160412171120/http://www.mobhunter.com/?p=868

From which it quoted

“I think the role of the content designer should be to provide compelling hooks for player storytelling. And by compelling, I mean both interesting and well-executed. Players should be drawn in by the quest and incentivized to undertake it, but the quest itself should be mere manipulation to get players interacting. It might be through cooperation, competition, or some kind of symbiotic relationship where both sides benefit in different ways.”

I’m too sleepy to interpret the stuff in any details at the moment.

gl hf

2 Likes

I didn’t :pleading_face: ain’t even said a word king

Mama mia

1 Like

This is an evil application of the Magic Circle theory from Video Game academic discourse

Please god, I just want one thing in this game to be definitively true or false.

24 Likes

Don’t buy their books and out of game content. That’ll send them the message.

6 Likes

Heyy, I resent that!! I didn´t lambast no Treng!! I wasn´t even familiar with the thread (why wasn´t I? must had happened in the break I took from the game I suppose).

A LOT of posters will have to indeed offer their apologies. Danuser not only kept that convenient “lore is relative and no narrator is reliable”, he literally doubled down on it and started to “make questionable” supposedly fiable lore sources like Chronicle.

It´s official; lore is “relative” and anything and everything IS possible. SF basically became a relic of the past and even the World´s End Tavern may very well be “canon lore” ffs.

I´m afraid this petition will go the way of the Dodo (at least as long as Danuser stays in charge… or whoever is making the choices above himand pushing him to take this route).

2 Likes

Ogre paladins confirmed “for the glory of Goria.”

1 Like

I take a perverse joy watching him dig himself deeper into that literary hole.

4 Likes

I mean he´s as “prudent” in his interviews as his boss (a.k.a. Hazzikostas) is -so to say, NOT at all-.

The tone deafness is so HUGE omg.

7 Likes

Is it really digging himself a hole? Seems more like denial.

1 Like

Remember when Ion admitted to intentionally gutting and nerfing brutally demo at the end of WoD because Demon Hunters were coming and they didn’t want people playing demonology warlock

I remember

Denial implies a lack of self awareness

9 Likes

Yess, I remember!!

I have another one: remember back at the start of WoD when the devs made the mechanical change to the rogue class regarding the combo points BUT they deployed the class with terribad dps output, and then “brilliant” Ion said in an interview that the most probable cause for the low dps on the rogue class was due to rogue players still trying to adapt to the combo point change? (and by this I mean Ion literally made the implication rogue players were SO stupid that the failure to adapt to a quality of life mechanical change made them suck so bad at their class that was the real explanation about why they were the dead last dps). Cause I ´member.

That was probably the ONLY time I saw an actual blue post (better yet , a “Watcher” post) on the rogue forums. He participated in our globalized self mockery thread to apologize for his words; I suppose the digs people were throwing at him did hurt his pride at some point.

6 Likes

NOTE: SYLVANAS DIED ON THE WAY BACK TO HER HOME PLANET.
THE END.

Everyone: YAAAAAAA!

4 Likes