Danuser+Ion Sriracha Take on retcons and lore

I mean he’s verbatim saying that. Everything we’ve been told in-game is “perspective”.

1 Like

/ooftop

I wonder, when Ion said that they won’t rebalance legendaries much with the motivation that they will repsect the effort people put into making them, and then we get 9.1 which might require re-making legendaries, would the devs justify it as “unreliable narrator”?
:thinking:

gl hf

7 Likes

Perspective is evidence of limited reliability. It gives context to other forms of evidence, but should not be taken as completely reliable fact.

That is not the same as “all lore is subjective and therefore wrong”. You can still form conclusions, you just have to be more careful about their scope.

2 Likes

I’m trying to phrase this in a way that won’t get my post pruned: from every interview I’ve read from the man, Danuser never, ever gives a clear, concise answer. A question that could easily be answered in two sentences will get two paragraphs, with enough wiggle-room and metaphors thrown in that it could basically have any number of meanings by the time you’ve reached the end. I think it’s clear at this point that he’s all about mystery, ambiguity, and narrative murkiness.

I’m supremely disappointed that he’s now moved into saying that previously established historical lore is suspect and open to interpretation, but I’m not surprised.

35 Likes

Hopefully he just means perspectives such as “right” or “wrong”. Overall events should remain mostly the same for all “narrators” otherwise we don’t even have canon anymore.

What he says still goes against what the prior hermeneutic of the lore was

All canon has now been loosened.

Which is incoherent because Danuser’s thing was transitioning from Soft world building to Hard world building and now he wants to both Hard world build the Cosmology but Soften the Canon

1 Like

All sources are “subjective”. And that does not make them wrong. It’s just mean that nothing is right. It’s not a classic “excluded middle” situation. Not being right, means there is no foundation to build one’s knowledge upon. Because you can’t go and visit most places. Like, we coul experience Legion invasions only in a few places. And then what?

To build knowledge that is not trivial it requires social aspect and degree of trust. I do not have intention to sink in resources to check that the Earth is not flat.

And this this is undermining possible foundations to a ridiculously small scope, because the devs do not update the world on the per-expansion basis.

It worked in Morrowing because the player has an option to act upon newfound knowledge and get some degree of trust or distrust to it. What do we have here?

That’s the problem. The lore now is not “wrong”. It’s just not work learning about because the game developers are not capable to depict every story detail to make necessary for this to work.

gl hf

8 Likes

No it does absolutely not.

1 Like

Well

“I think the role of the content designer should be to provide compelling hooks for player storytelling. And by compelling, I mean both interesting and well-executed. Players should be drawn in by the quest and incentivized to undertake it, but the quest itself should be mere manipulation to get players interacting. It might be through cooperation, competition, or some kind of symbiotic relationship where both sides benefit in different ways.”

I got this attributed to Danuser in the

https://ilkohall.blogspot.com/2021/02/shadowlands-empty-manipulations-with-no.html

If this is the case, then the approach is practicaly “payoff is not relevant, being true to the marketing either - just throw in enough stuff to people keep speculating and they will stick with the game to keep themselves busy guessing stuff”.

The goal is to keep people “engaged”, not to make good story / foreshadowing / pay off. But I have only limited knowledge of how true the sources are.

We have alterations to W3 in the reforged version. W3 are the events that we “saw”. Yet here we are.

gl hf

2 Likes

He doesn’t because the question was specifically about retcons for the sake of Cosmology developments

Yeah it does. The players were not in Warcraft. We were experiencing history through the perceptions of each character/hero.

You are still wrong. The players are not in WORLD OF WARCRAFT the Player characters MIGHT have been in warcraft 1 2 or 3 that is up to the player. There is a Huge difference between that, And no it was not from the “PoV” of stuff there, the characters of warcraft were not controlled by some “outside force” in warcraft 1 2 3 etc. The events of chronicles involving those books are canon, the only thing that danuser is saying is that "it happened but it is only from the point of view of this individual so they can just see things in their “space” same way shadowlands book is gonna be about exploring shadowlands etc.

Its basically the same thing as saying “we have expansion packs to our books”

3 Likes

You are the only one interpreting Danuser this way

1 Like

Good then I am the only one that is right.

2 Likes

Keep telling yourself that

3 Likes

Well it is the truth.

Whether you like it or not. I have yet to be disproven.

Nothing to disprove when your interpretation is simply an incorrect reading of plain language

1 Like

Didn’t you just say the other day you don’t even remember the lore because you confuse it with your own fan canon? No wonder you like this perspective thing.

10 Likes

So Sylvanas never said : “The Horde is nothing!”

She might have even said : “I love you all, but my home planet needs me. For Azeroth!”

It all depends on who we listened to.

31 Likes

Are you feeling superior about something? Despite your inability to see the truth.

Who said anything about liking the perspective thing There is a Difference about saying “yeah this book is perspective” and “ALL OUR PRODUCTS ARE FROM THE POV OF SOMEONE ELSE”

All Danuser is saying is that Basically the Chronicles book is written from the same perspective of a god in our universes ability to see our Galaxy. The god isnt aware of other Dimensions or realities.

“Unreliable narrator sound like good literary jargon, make me good writer, no care if consistent or not. You give me money now.”

36 Likes