Danuser+Ion Sriracha Take on retcons and lore

Honestly not even trying to be a hater but what’s the point of even discussing lore then?

If it’s always from someone’s perspective and can’t be taken as a full truth or falsity until further notice it seems kind of pointless and might as well be looked at as an illusion until a dev speaks up.

Me and another poster could use two different sources and either both be right, wrong, or just fully confused.

Not to mention who’s perspective gets priority?

The mortal who was there but is most definitely bias for their side?
Or
The Titan who didn’t exactly see it but through elimination/ logic can deduce what most likely happened forgetting that by humanities nature they are more often than not illogical in situations.

15 Likes

Yeah I don’t think Danuser has thought at all about the damage this does to the Lore-centric community

It’s great for tinfoil hat speculators (and we know Danuser loves tinfoil hat speculators; even Terran Gregory is in Accolon’s discord)

But for everyone who is either not a tinfoil hat speculator or is that and also just a lore nerd? Yikes.

Let alone RPers.

1 Like

It almost depresses me, a bit. There’s almost no point now…

We actually are stuck with “night elves did not descended from trolls” threads now.

2 Likes

There’s a lot of discussion regarding the first sentence, but it seems that Google Translator simply flopped its meaning. Here’s a version from a better machine (granted, an actual French speaker (native or otherwise) would be more welcome):

The way I see it is that everything that we know, everything that we have learned over the years in the world of Warcraft comes from the perspective of someone in particular as long as the players are not directly witnessing it. We trust the narrator of the book to offer us our information, and of course much of it is told from a certain point of view. As I mentioned before, if you read the Chronicle series for example then it is clear that it was written by someone descending or speaking in favor of the Titans. But there are probably other ways of seeing the information that is recounted in these writings: someone who lived during the era of the Black Empire did not necessarily see himself as a terrible villain for example.

Many more stories remain to be told, stories that add other layers, textures and points of view to the story of World of Warcraft. Soon, a book will be published. It is called “Grimoire of the Shadowlands and Beyond”. We discover the point of view of a Trader investigating certain mysteries, but also the mention of a certain Al’firim, so I recommend you take a look. This offers us the perspective of the Shadowland from the point of view of someone who is native to it, and of course a being from the magic of Death sees death from a different eye than that of a mortal or other entities from other cosmic forces.

What we are trying to do is offer you many perspectives, many avenues to interest you and that you can dig into. It is not a question of changing history but rather of reframing events that we have seen in the past through another prism. It’s a lot of fun to do and we think it brings a lot of depth to the Warcraft universe.

3 Likes

Kiraser it’s saying the same thing lol

Everything we know both in-game from NPCs and IRL text wise like books is “perspective” of that specific narrator

edit, also, side note, I speak French lol

6 Likes

Guess that means the night elves didn’t overkill Horde. I was there, and we steamwrecked 'em.

8 Likes

Treng of Rivia Today at 11:31 PM

@Extended French Empire Would any of you guys mind confirming if the translation in baal’s thread is correct?

:ribbon:Sery the Dark Prelate Today at 11:37 PM

The question is horribly malformed in the translator but the response is mostly fine if you understand that it has small quirks due to being google translated

Treng of Rivia Today at 11:37 PM

Thanks, Sery.

[11:37 PM]

:ribbon:Sery the Dark Prelate Today at 11:38 PM

With one exception, the first paragraph of the response is cut off, it continued a little bit talking about how someone who lived during the Black Empire would have a different take on that history

[11:39 PM]

The second translation by Kiraser is slightly better(edited)

[11:42 PM]

But yeah the question was basically saying that the players feel the story is limited by the fact that they keep retconning things that were already retconned, and asking what he thought about that critique, and whether or not some of these retcons were actually successful at making something more interesting or if they might have been planned a while ago

Treng of Rivia Today at 11:43 PM

Do you mind if I copy paste this to the forum?

:ribbon:Sery the Dark Prelate Today at 11:43 PM

I don’t, go ahead

8 Likes

Ye question is messy but the first paragraph’s translation was accurate/good enough, which is the most wild part of it all imo

(e.g. obviously “particular as a players” is not correct English, but decided to just copy paste the machine translator rather than correct and then some of yall be like REEE BAAL YOU CHANGED THE GOOGLE TRANSLATE)

(which has happened before)

I figured it was just a direct copy paste. nbd.

1 Like

So Danuser says nothing is true but everything is true as well?

This is him basically giving himself a carte blanch to retcon whatever he wants isn’t it?
Any every revisionist lore is just another grandiose reveal that adds oh so much precious depth to whatever else we had before.

Wonderful.

8 Likes

blizzard already did this I dunno why people get mad over the same thing it’d be more interesting if they said they where gonna stop retcons

1 Like

This is like saying some guy already kicked the puppy so why is everyone freaking out when he kicks the puppy again.
Well I think the point is the guy needs to stop the kicking of the said puppy.

18 Likes

its been 20 years

One time something was originally in Spanish and people were mad I did my own translation as their google translate didn’t line up with my translation

to note, reminder, I am Latin American and ESL lol

Are you from the future? This game came out in November of 2004

2 Likes

metzen kicked it, kosak kicked it, alex kicked it, At this points I dont know why people have reactions to them saying the same stuff they said in bc

“Is it gonna be hard to resolve all the seemingly unwinnable conflicts you’ve strung out over the past few years?”
“Actually super easy, barely an inconvenience.”
“Oh really?”
“Yeah, cause see I’m just gonna…ya know, ignore half of them.”
“What?”
“Yeah, see I figure I can just do a bunch of interviews and throw around terms like ‘unreliable narrator’ and just sort of pretend like none of it ever happened.”
“Fair enough!”

23 Likes

“But you’re just gonna leave them unanswered and unattended, when players expect big payoffs?”
“Sir, I’m gonna need you to get aaaaaalll the way off my back about keeping track of anything.”
“Oh, sure, I’ll get right off of that thing!”

15 Likes

This is the interview that confirms that Danuser is a hack whose only writing capabilities consist of invalidating old lore and pretending his new, worse, garbage is equally as valid.

We’ve assumed it for a while now but he confirms it himself here.

Regardless of your opinion about the quality of the story right now, what is the actual point of caring or keeping up with the story if this is the kind of crap that he’s saying about it? Nothing matters and everything is subject to change so why even bother?

7 Likes

Danuser is bitter that WoW dismantled Everquest (his former employer and obsession) and has now taken it upon himself to infiltrate Blizzard to cheapen and sabotage established Warcraft lore.

He must be stopped.

4 Likes