Custom sound files not working

Just started yet another thread about this in GD.

1 Like

Definitely. I think this issue has brought some decent traffic to the UI section, but it doesnā€™t have nearly as much an audience as GD does.

Uhg, the ā€œcanā€™t use item yetā€ spam is killing me. Please blizzard, this is ridiculous.

Is there an addon that can mute the stupid Ankoan followers? Iā€™m sick of hearing their lines over and over and over when they spawn.

1 Like

Hit Curse, search for the addon Mute Sound Files.

Youā€™ll have to use the site wow.tools to find the SoundKit ID# of the file you want to mute, then add it while in-game. Works perfectly.

If only it were that easy for hunter and other class sounds. Gaining back the ability to override sound files is going to take some time and patienceā€¦

1 Like

Getting a bit bored of the Mechagon/Nazjatar dailies and thought ā€œIā€™ll go level up a fun Gnome hunter altā€ ā€“ find my trust gun-sounds from vanilla, since I canā€™t stand the new(er) soundsā€¦ nothing is working.

I come here and read this terrible news. Guess Iā€™ll not be leveling up a Hunter alt. Iā€™m actually incapable of playing the class with the current sounds.

Soā€¦ I guess I can see how long I stick around after wrapping up the dailies or find another alt to level upā€¦ or unsubscribe?

Itā€™s really disappointing that this functionality was broken and the add-on developers either werenā€™t consulted or fully briefed on the file structure changes. This entire thread could have been avoided by inclusion of the add-on community. WoW is a great game but the golden cohort has long been through, and something so cosmetic being broken and angering the community to the point that a certain percentage of the population cannot play is all-around not an ideal approach.

Hereā€™s hoping the add-on community can address the issue. I eagerly await it ā€“ I just donā€™t know if my active subscription will do so.

2 Likes

Couldnā€™t you work around this by muting the sound you want to replace and parse the combat log to play the custom sound when the combat log event occurs?

That could work for your own sounds. Itā€™d take a lot of work, and itā€™d still mute everybody elseā€™s sounds of the same type (Hunterā€™s autoshoot, for instance, would mute every other Hunter and npcs that use the same soundfile, which may or may not be an inconvenience).

Yeah, that would kind of suck. With the old bow and rifle files I had, I used to love how immersive it was with hunters around me in battlegrounds or dummies at the order hall. Even battle pets, and Darkmoon Faire games with the tonks or the target game.

ā€¦Omg I remember eveything that used the sound files.

I am going to assume at this point that Blizz has chosen to simply ignore customer displeasure regarding this decision.

Playing the game Ctrl-S from here on out, much to my disappointment. :frowning:

2 Likes

Can this really be that hard to figure out for them?

1 Like

Can you help me find the IDs for the new kill command sound?
Itā€™s these sounds: https://www.wowhead.com/sound=55724/spell-hu-killcommand

These sounds alone makes the BM spec unplayable for me. I would REALLY appreciate to mute them

edit:
OMG I FOUND THEM

Makes kill command completely SILENT

MY LIFE IS COMPLETE

1 Like

tbh wow has really worn thin for me between the bad CS reps deleting threads / threatening people and even suspending people for opinions in the name of ā€œtrollingā€ the constant bad moves by the devs and the lack luster story . Oh did I mention the slot machine we call loot drops with the war forging and all that bs. Oh Profs sucking too yeah another nail in the coffin there. This sound crap is just another one that is making wow no fun to play Sometimes I think a group of chimps could do a better job making this game fun then the current teamā€¦ after all they hang out and fling poo and that sounds more fun tbh than the current state of wow

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation, Iā€™ve managed to get a lot of annoyances gone.

Another question. Anyone knows the names (or IDs) to the dialogue by Mathias Shaw in the Seething Shore battleground? Heā€™s $$@# annoying!

I usually do not get annoyed with spammy dialogue, but Nazjatar bodyguards are really starting to get on my nerves.

Are the ally body guards really bad I havent done the ally side yet Ive been able to live with the goblin things but I guess mostly cuz i play pantera 5fdp and slipknot when I play so I guess drown the sound out works lol

I spent hours replacing old sound files for weapon sounds, especially the rogue abilities.

And none of it works anymore. I played that character since BC, but just canā€™t stand the tin can new rogue sounds, so I avoid playing her now.

I donā€™t know what technical reason there was for this change, but it really sucks for those of us who really care about sound.

1 Like

Yep, I just play Alliance and have been working on one at a time until I max him out so I only know about him. Probably a bad idea. xD He despawns often and then reappears and itā€™s pretty bad. At least his tone of voice is okay.

Wowhead links NPCs to their Sounds and their names. Try looking there and playing the sounds linked to the various NPC pages for Mathias Shaw.

1 Like