[CS Lounge] Fall Festivities and Friends!

Don’t know what I would do if I could not have a maple bacon donut.

3 Likes

Is it specifically the meat that’s problematic?

Could you, for example, fry turkey bacon in pork bacon fat?

Long shot, I know D:

2 Likes

I looked it up…

Alpha-gal syndrome is a type of food allergy. It makes people allergic to red meat and other products made from mammals.

In the United States, the condition usually begins with the bite of the Lone Star tick. The bite transfers a sugar molecule called alpha-gal into the body. In some people, this triggers a reaction from the body’s defenses, also called the immune system. It causes mild to severe allergic reactions to red meat, such as beef, pork or lamb. It also can cause reactions to other foods that come from mammals, such as dairy products or gelatins.

There’s no treatment other than avoiding red meat and other products made from mammals. If you have a serious allergic reaction, you may need medicine called epinephrine and treatment at the emergency room.

EDIT - it is that episode of House where the guy is so sick because of eating steak.

5 Likes

Vrak how do you so calm when dealing with all these ‘cranky’ kids? I would have pulled out my hair by now or taken up excessive amounts of recreational materials.

1 Like

Jeez! Talk about a way to relax !

I have pondered that question many times. Even if the job paid really really well. I honestly do not know if I could manage to keep the same composure that he does

2 Likes

Community managers truly are the MVP’s like I think anybody in customer service has a really difficult job, just gotta make sure you capitalize on your off time and come back in with a fresh mind for sure!

1 Like

Don’t jump in and feed the sharks.

6 Likes

as an Australian, boy do I know that !
I don’t surf for that reason too dangerous

Sadly no. The Mayo Clinic article Mirasol linked covers it. I didn’t expect this to be what was causing my chronic hives the past few months.

I initially thought I was breaking out in hives because I had a maple tree come down in my yard because of windstorm in late June, since I’ve known for a few years that I was allergic to maple. I ended up at my normal allergist (admittedly had not been since '21) multiple times, a 2nd allergist in the same network, a dermatologist, and talked to my endocrinologist on the phone ('cause my free T4 was a little higher than it normally is for me when I did a blood panel for my allergist; I switched to a higher dose of levothyroxine at the beginning of the year though, and my endocrinologist didn’t seem like it was too high…my next appointment isn’t until January though).

Yeah, I don’t know; I couldn’t remember a specific tick bite (we call those turkey ticks around here not lone star ticks), but I get bit by some each year. Although I vaguely knew of—not by name—alpha-gal syndrome, the only thing I really was ever concerned about was lupus.

Thanks for suggestions. I’ll have to do some taste testing of the turkey and plant-based bacon alternatives (though not the ones with egg whites probably). I used to buy turkey bacon occasionally just to try many years ago, but I don’t recall which I actually liked except I really disliked the Jennie-o kind. :dracthyr_shrug:

6 Likes

Never knew any of this. Been watching videos since reading this. God the human body is crazy

2 Likes

I feel for you. Keeping track of all the permutations of red meat in products is a lot of work. Is there a resource listing safe/unsafe products?

3 Likes

Its even crazier to think i did carnivore diet for 8 weeks never felt better in my life and this is a actual disease that would put you down if you followed that diet.

Good reason to always check with ur gp

7 Likes

Well, most of it is I try to understand the frustration and while I don’t always agree with the way some people deal with that frustration, I do get it.

I’ve worked in customer support all my life, from running a retail store, dispatcher/office manager, bartender/bar manager, etc… I will say it is a bit easier here because I am not directly engaging in person so I get a moment to take a breath before responding. That is usually all it takes, remembering to take that breath. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Great advice for anybody, doing anything.

Slow and smooth and smooth is fast

1 Like

Bartender any unique or drinks u were good at making for thats off the beaten path.

Also have u ever had to deal with a angel shot dont need details just curious and ever had to do one for a guy.

1 Like

Not really. I mostly worked a hotel, so I did a lot of weddings, reunions, holiday parties, etc… plus the fine dining restaurant and the dance club. While it got busy in the club most folks ordered standard stuff, a lot of common beer and wine, a few different kinds of shots and a lot of margaritas.

And no, I never had to deal with that particular situation.

4 Likes

You are a man of many talents. Always neat learning new stuff.

Im not too fancy went to school to be a chef and librarian technician neither really worked out found out i enjoy retail.

He is a Centaur of many talents. In fact, if I remember correctly, all centaurs are talented in a lot of areas.