[CS Lounge] A New Year! 20-Years of WoW!

IoT
Internet of Things

You can cut a copper pin on the motherboard of some of these devices and kill the connection without bricking the device. But not on all.
Some will not work if it can’t “phone home”. These things will try to connect to cell phones of passing dog walkers if the right settings are turned on.

1 Like

I am too old to want those things, and too young to NEED a home I can control without getting up.

I don’t find them cool, I find them creepy. Esp the ones that are always on listening.

1 Like

Didnt realize season 3 of the bad batch premiers today.

1 Like

Yes! I’ve been waiting patiently for today.

Unfortunately, it’s the final season. :dracthyr_cry_animated:

2 Likes

Every IoT device is listening. Even if the microphone is on the board or behind the control panel.
Just like the clocks in hotel rooms.

1 Like

Does your teaam handle the fb posts as well or just twitter i love some of the memes and stuff you guys put out.

1 Like

that’s a separate team. iirc they only do BlizzardCS

1 Like

We generally respond to CS related contacts through the various Twitter and Facebook pages. We don’t put out engagement stuff, except on our own BlizzardCS page.

6 Likes

Well the fb team has a good sense of humor.

1 Like

fun fact - the lead for Warcraft stuff got his start making memes by himself then he got hired by Blizzard because of it.

2 Likes

Why are people so quick to jump to a ddos without any proof.

1 Like

Human nature makes it easier to just point fingers forward rather than around at one’s self.

Often it’s truthful and can sometimes get results, but it also means people won’t do the simplest of troubleshooting.

2 Likes

I don’t know about tonight but about 12 to 15 hours ago the launcher was saying that they were dealing with one.

5 Likes

Wasnt aware of that didnt check the launcher.

I heard that there was a major outage this morning that hit multiple ground and cell services. Starlink too was marked on Down Detector for a bit. Which makes me think of a router at a backbone service.

But then, I got a message this morning from a dark web monitor that a bit coin company got nailed. Over 193k emails, users location data, name, gender, phone number and mailing address. Could be a coincidence with the timing though.

1 Like

ATT did an update overnight. It caused a core device to fail. Redundancy failed as well. Hubby works for ATT. That’s what he told me. Nothing like good old sketchy updates.

3 Likes

We had the same thing happen last year in Canada, where Roger’s did an update and it shutdown some routers and backup’s. All debit and credit services were out for almost the entire day. Also almost all Roger’s cell users had paperweights for a long time.

1 Like

I’m totally not creeped out now. :male_detective:

I read about the clocks from a now deceased Navy Seal. Even back in the 70s people staying at hotels for international travelers would have to pull the clocks off the wall and take out the battery.

As time went on the cameras had their own battery independent of the clock. Other clocks would be locked to the wall as they were hand wired into the buildings electrical.

They would have diplomats turn on every device in the room at max volume (radio, tv, etc) before yelling inches from each other’s ears to pass sensible info. Nothing would ever be written down.

The Seals themselves wouldn’t use those hotels unless they want the locals to see them. If they needed to watch something in a city they would sometimes look for a bed and breakfast type place. Book the whole thing, use cash, overpay and never stick to the reservation they paid for. Pay the owner for another week and then disappear.

1 Like