[CS Lounge] A New Year! 20-Years of WoW!

She actually loves the snow. She does love to prance and play in it, but I think she saw something move. Once I get done with work, we’ll probably get out there and play a little.

My mom’s house is pretty old, too. The big picture windows are single pane, with another single pane storm that we put in for the winters. The views and light are amazing, but you can see the curtains move when the wind picks up.

I made Italian Beef for dinner yesterday (and today, and probably a few days more). Delicious!

3 to 4 pound chuck roast or round roast trimmed of large chunks of excess fat
Kosher salt
14.5 ounce can beef broth divided
8 ounces pepperoncini pepper slices plus 1/4 cup of juice and additional peppers for serving
8 ounces giardiniera (mild or spicy) drained, plus additional for serving (look for the kind that is chopped, versus whole pickled vegetables)
Provolone cheese slices for serving
Hoagie buns for serving

FOR THE SEASONING*:
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon thyme dried ground
Just go buy a packet of Italian salad dressing mix

Let the meat rest at room temperature for 15 minutes (this is a good time to measure your other spices and seasonings). Season the beef all over with kosher salt.

Heat a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high. Once it is hot, sear the meat on all sides until golden brown, moving it as little as possible so that it develops a nice crust (this will take about 10 minutes). Transfer to the slow cooker.

Turn the heat to medium. Carefully splash in some of the broth and with a wooden spoon, scrape up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan (this is FLAVOR). Pour the liquid and any bits into the slow cooker on top of the beef.

In a small bowl, stir together the seasoning ingredients: Italian seasoning, granulated sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper, and thyme. Sprinkle on top of the beef. Again, just use Italian salad dressing mix.

Add the pepperoncini peppers and juice. Add the giardiniera (do not add any giardiniera juice).

Pour in the remaining broth.

Cover the crockpot and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, or until meat shreds easily with a fork. Shred the beef, then stir it together with the juices. Cover and cook on low for 30 additional minutes.

To serve, split the hoagie buns and toast on a baking sheet in the oven at 350 degrees for 5 to 7 minutes (if desired). Fill with the shredded Italian beef (get plenty of that yummy, messy juice!) and top with provolone, pepperoncini, and Giardiniera as desired. Enjoy!

TO STORE: Refrigerate Italian beef in an airtight storage container for up to 3 days.

TO REHEAT: Rewarm leftovers in a Dutch oven on the stovetop over medium-low heat or in the microwave.

TO FREEZE: Freeze beef in an airtight freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.

7 Likes

Make sure you keep your Tauntaun close in case you aren’t back at the base by sundown.

12 Likes

I named my Tauntaun “Home Sweet Home”.

9 Likes

Well, I made pork tenderloin and now have leftovers, and I have some chili in the freezer, but I think I’m making chili anyway. It’s just so chili weather. (My usual leftover tenderloin routine is: fry 2-3 slices in butter in a little skillet till they brown a bit - I roast it only to medium, so leftovers can fry briefly without getting overdone. Then cook a couple of eggs in the remaining butter + browned pork juice.)

5 Likes

On my way…unless you deliver?

8 Likes

Not in this weather. :cold_face:

7 Likes

9 Likes

8 Likes

We’re under a winter storm warning with six inches of snow predicted in the next 48 hours and I made the unfortunate choice to go to the grocery store today.

People were shopping like we’re going to be snowed in until September.

I mean, it’s the South and I lived in the North for most of my life, so maybe that’s why it’s not that big a deal to me. Pretty sure if we get the snow they’re predicting though, it’ll shut the city down. They close schools here if there’s snow in the forecast.

3 Likes

WOOT!!!

GO LIONS! Lions win!

4 Likes

They do that here too. We occasionally get as much as six inches and it’s not a big deal. School might be closed or late opening for a day, then they get the main streets plowed and most people can get out if they need to within a day. Then in another day it probably melts off the streets. Yet people shop like they are going into their nuclear bunker indefinitely, instead of just making sure they have what they need for a couple of days. Source: I work in a grocery store, so I see it every time. Yesterday morning was absolutely insane because in addition to forecast very cold and maybe some snow for today, there were ball games people were trying to get home to watch.

Today I’m off and there wasn’t much snow but it’s been below 10F all day. When I ran out of chili powder, I googled substitutes, because no way am I going in that cold just to buy chili powder. Tomorrow will be just as cold but I have to work so I’ll be out in it regardless!

5 Likes

Snow is fairly rare here, but people won’t go out even after the roads are plowed and fine.
It’s coming down pretty good right now though.

2 Likes

Spiderman2 done till any dlc comes out now onto RDR2.

1 Like

Don’t suppose anyone knows of a Top Secret Confidential polling site Blizzard has for community votes on their returning Trading Post offerings, eh? :eyes:

Reeeeally need that Blood Troll set to come back.

3 Likes

W w w . blizzard troll . com kidfing.

1 Like

Woke up this morning to -8 and a feels like temp of -15. :cold_face:

The Lions win is making me feel all warm and cozy though. :dracthyr_yay_animated: :football:

5 Likes

We were supposed to get a dusting of snow last night but it has not materialized over my house. sigh Would have been so pretty to sip coffee to light snow. I think we still get a couple inches between today and tomorrow, maybe.

Cold here but I am bundled up in my insulated leggings (which will serve for long under wear). The cats did point out where my actual long underwear was in a closet, but it does not fit yet. Too small still. Also found a long missing head lamp that was in my travel bag from a camping trip!

Sending warm beverage wishes to everyone!

:coffee: :teapot: :cookie: :bacon: :waffle:

8 Likes

We had a light dusting of powdery snow here last night. I haven’t checked, but I think it was worse east of here. We usually get ice or a wintery mix.

Usually here too, luckily today is a holiday anyway.

We have a lot of rural areas and most of the time we get ice. They don’t normally plow our roads and they only treat the main roads, so a lot of people are unable to leave home.

3 Likes

I never found the long underwear I thought I owned, but found a different pair. When I went out to my car at 5 am I was surprised. It wasn’t as bad as I expected even though it was around 0 (-17c). I think because there was little wind.

4 Likes

Masage booked for 10 mom gives me a ride have to leave at 930 to give sis a ride to work get in car vehicle wont start dead as a door nail so 935 i go ok im calling my cab i make it with 5 min to spare.

2 Likes