Crashing, freezing, and stuttering after 8.3 [Intel GPUs]

I have automatic graphics switching off currently. I’m running a 2016 Touch Bar MBP with a Radeon Pro 460.

I’m having the same problem. Right as the update hit, my mac is having trouble keeping the game up. Didn’t have this problem before the new patch. Maybe blizz made some changes to the system settings for Mac’s, but they sure need to fix it

5 Likes

Not sure if it’s related. '15 MBP. Game freezes constantly in Uldum and just froze again trying to start a bee event . I have all graphics bottomed out. I get 40+ fps normally, then game freeze/crash and spinning rainbow disc mouse icon.

3 Likes

I’m experiencing the exact same thing after the 8.3 patch downloaded. If I’m in large groups or if a lot of players are around, the game will freeze and I’ll get the spinning rainbow mouse icon. Sometimes the game will start again, but one time the entire computer crashed and shut down automatically. My graphics are entirely bottomed out as well.

1 Like

I’m happy I found this thread. After yesterdays update my macbook pro has been freezing/crashing whenever I’m in large groups. Had to bail out of a few dungeons because of the freezing. I have all my settings ulta low and I have a newer mac. I hope they fix this issue otherwise I’m not sure if I’ll still be able to play.

6 Likes

Hi everyone o/,

Thank you for all the reports. Let’s go ahead and start gathering a bit more information so we can try and narrow down what is going on here.

Mac OS Version:
System model:
Symptom:

For the symptom please add what happens, such as stuttering, freezing, or a complete system crash. Also, if it only happens in specific areas or events include that information. Any additional information can be of help.

Edit: If you receive a error code of some sort mention that as well. A game client crash can be quite a bit different from a crash related to the OS, such as when the Mac hard crashes.

12 Likes

Mac OS version: 10.15.2
System Model: MacBook Pro 13’ 2017 2.3 dual core I5
Symptom: Game freezes while in instances (Stormwind Stockade multiple freezes prior to first fight, again prior to Hogger) Also in Surmar City and other locations.

Edit: also good to note that prior to and after freezing : FPS is zooming along quite nicely at 70fps - and prior to update freezing issue did not exist.

2 Likes

Mac OS Version: Mac OS Catalina Version 10.15.2
System model: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
Symptom: The screen freezing when I’m in game with sporadic sound still possible. Typically during more “chaotic” moments of the game, i.e. Horrific Visions, instances, crowded areas. But this screen freezing can happen anywhere at any moment. The rainbow wheel mouse icon appears and the game freezes. After 5-10 seconds, the game unfreezes. These freezing episodes can happen up to every minute or so in instances, making the game impossible to play. One time, in a particularly chaotic environment, the entire computer automatically shut down after the aforementioned screen freeze.

Also, every graphics setting is set to extremely low. As low as it can be without the words becoming impossible to read. I’ve tried changing the graphics several times and that doesn’t seem to change anything. The freezing and crashing still happens at its normal rate.

Edit: The crash only happened once and I didn’t get any sort of error code. My computer just said that “the computer shut down because of a problem”. I ran a diagnostics test on my Mac and it found no issues. When I restarted, WoW popped back up and stated it shut down improperly, but I don’t remember any sort of error code.

10 Likes

CB8F86E9-162C-4F7E-88BA-49B14F8C5FDD

this is error report from last time it happened

OS version is Catalina 10.15.2
System: Macbook Pro 13 inch touch bar 2018. 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, 8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB.
Symptom: Happens most often in combat, normally after 30-60 seconds. Has also happened in populated areas and alone randomly. Happened total 30+ times already.

First game freezes, then pinwheel of death. Freeze lasts 5-15 seconds. Either comes out and is fine or crashes system entirely (thats happened 4 times so far). It’s happened in dungeons, in multiple zones and in cities. Cost me one of the new daily quests and 2k coalescing visions. Its making the game nearly unplayable.

Forgot to mention I’ve tried lowering every graphical setting to the lowest possible. To the point where I was getting over 100 FPS for the first time ever. Yet this problem still happened.

1 Like

Same problem here. Game ran so well before this patch. Now it’s literally unplayable.

3 Likes

Just chiming in to say basically same to every single issue mentioned.

When doing the scenario in Halls of Origination, when I got to the part with the lights, the game began locking up every 10 seconds or so. I finally had to position the camera towards the floor in order to complete that part, because I realized the locking up was correlated to the lights or w/e.

This same issue though has been popping up elsewhere. I just tried a battleground and in the middle of combat, whole game locks up and freezes for about 10 seconds.

Mac OS : 10.14.6
System Model : iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)
Symptoms: everything mentioned above and by other posters. Random game freezes while in combat and instances (it seems correlated with spell/lighting effects, or chaotic moments as another person noted… mind you this is all on the lowest of low settings too)

1 Like

Added this in-case anyone missed the edit:
If you receive a error code of some sort mention that as well. A game client crash can be quite a bit different from a crash related to the OS, such as when the Mac hard crashes or just has a system freeze forcing you to close the game in some way.

yup am currently facing the exact same issue I get to the puzzle and have to force reset because everything is frozen and then it restarts the whole chain. Incredibly frustrating

2 Likes

Same issues on my 2016 MacBook Pro. I have been fine for months until 8.3. I reached out to Blizzard and keep getting the run around. They are saying it is on my end, but clearly it isn’t. It has been freezing so bad it just re-starts now. Funny thing I just paid for another month. Bet I won’t see anything for that.

2 Likes

MacBook Pro 2016
Freezing in combat and overheating because of it. The computer then re-starts.

It is not my hardware. I even had apple check it. the Game is causing it.

2 Likes

Mac OS Version: 10.15.2
System model: Macbook Pro 2016 2.9 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, 8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3, Intel Iris Graphics 550 1536 MB

Symptom: Game freezing typically in larger groups, i.e. dungeons, crowded areas. The screen freezing can happen anywhere at any moment. The rainbow wheel mouse icon appears and the game freezes. After 5-10 seconds, the game unfreezes. These freezing episodes can happen up to every minute or so in instances, making the game impossible to play. One time, in a particularly chaotic environment, the entire computer automatically shut down after the screen freeze.

My graphics setting is set to extremely low, the freezing and crashing still happens at its normal rate.

5 Likes

Yes, This is exactly what is happening!

Mac OS Version: 10.15.2
System: Macbook air 13" 2015 intel core i5
Symptom: Game will freeze in halls of origin during light puzzle to activate lift. Can’t even get passed without the game completely stopping and forcing me to hard reset, no error codes just complete lock up of screen. Haven’t even been close to being able to finish the quest and then have to start over. Have done this 4 times already. Never had this problem in previous patches, just started when 8.3 was released.

1 Like

ame here. I’m on a 2015 Macbook Pro, and since the update, I keep crashing. I can usually do quests but anytime I’m in a raid or battleground, my computer freezes up, and I get the spinning wheel. Twice it completely crashed my entire computer. Graphics are on their lowest setting :frowning: game played perfectly fine pre-patch

3 Likes

Mac OS version: Catalina 10.15.2
System model: MacBook Pro 13” 2019 1.4GHz quad core i5 8GB ram Intel iris plus graphics 645 1536mb
Symptoms: Game is intermittently freezing for periods of 15-20 seconds every few minutes in all forms of content, even in the old world. Confirmed to be happening in: island expeditions, horrific visions, dungeons, raids, the open world while world question in zandalar, old world zones such as durotan and cities like orgrimmar. There is no apparent cause for the persistent freezes, but they seem to occur slightly more frequently in crowded areas. I have never experienced this issue before until the patch went live and the game is unplayable in its current state.