Covenants = Recipe for disaster

We dont need to use it to know what dangers lie ahead. They have shown us core principles, goals and specific abilities. To ensure this system is fun and rewarding it is now prime time to be proactive and not reactive.

TLDR : Feedback now.

yeah as soon as I saw “Which one will you choose” and my thought was whatever I’m told is best for my spec.

1 Like

I was just thinking about how Retribution went from crap->awesome during Wrath. Every time we’ve asked for that to happen to a class during BFA we’ve been met with “wait for 9.0”

First WorldofWarcraft Problems.

That’s what this is. Sims have ruined the mentality of this game.

You know who are the ONLY people affected by this? Literally the top 10 raiding guilds, M+ groups and PvP tournament teams in the WORLD.

THAT’S IT.

Despite what people say, nowadays a single 1% in performance does NOT dramatically affect whether or not your guild will progress in this game. Min/Maxing complaints are a JOKE.

Unless you are talking about game-breaking abilities, like absurd mobility, extra CC outside of DMs or something stackable to cheese a particular boss, it will all be fine.

2 Likes

Whenever they say wait for 9.0 I remember how windwalker recieved 3 different masteries over the first and second patch of MoP. I hate hearing they refuse to do anything meaningful between expansions because when the classes were good they genuinely were trying to make the classes fun for everyone. Now? They can’t be damned to do the basics.

1 Like

How dare you introduce reason and logic and history into this thread…

2 Likes

it’s not reason or logic, they’re giving anecdotal evidence.

Dangers that lie ahead? It won’t ever be fun and rewarding because blizzard has tried to listen to players. Which is horrible because players are dumb.

They have already shown you a preview of this system with essences. Almost all of the dps majors are competitive across various fight types. This is still an adventure rpg mmo and choices should matter.

None of us are that good that an essence that is 5% better ST makes or breaks it.

Please don’t pretend that 99.99% of this game cant be completed with any race, spec and essence combo. No one really cares what MDI and world first players are doing.

4 Likes

That’s not good balance, that’s lazy balance. Any idiot can make make all the classes carbon copies with a builder, a spender, and a 2 minute DPS cooldown, then adjust the numbers until there’s no big reason you’d want to play any of them over the others unless +1% damage = boss dies before enrage.

Also I just keep thinking what a waste of dev time it will be to try to make 4 new temporary abilities for each class that are useful to all three class specs and perfectly balanced to within a few percentage points of each other for all combat modes. Not to mention the animation time spent.

They could be fixing professions, unpruning classes, or do literally anything else with that time.

At the very least put the abilities on the arbiter so we don’t have to hear complaints all expansion long about being locked into a nerfed ability or being unable to change roles.

The sould binds too need to be the same between all four covenants.

What makes them think their playerbase wants to make these “meaningful” choices all the time? Was there a poll I missed or something?

2 Likes

Its almost like they want to make people play more. Oh wait, they do. DUH! They should change the name of the game to “Grind Till You Die” (GTYD for short).

I wish people understood this…

2 Likes

My anecdotal evidence is “every single stat in the game”?

I always thought anecdotal evidence was more based on personal experience.

Weird.

1 Like

You’re using hyperbole and anecdote. It is not every stat in the game. Still not logic or reason.

As long as each expansion goes on for I am sure you could manage leveling four characters 10 levels and picking a different covenant for each. Now the game has some replayability and you won’t get bored so quickly. It wouldn’t make sense joining all four and doing every covenant campaign on the same character.

We don’t have to submit to you all the parses and logs from every raid as well as all the pvp comps from every arena tournament, but they are out there for you to explore. The data doesn’t lie. Wrath was an amazing experience, but a VERY broken class/spec experience. So was TBC, so was CATA. Every guild needed very specific comps in order to progress. And certain classes (cough DK’s) were far beyond the curve. This was well known.

With all the terrible decisions Blizz has made over the past few xpacs, the fact that people still give them the benefit of the doubt is mind blowing to me. I mean look at the thread that keeps popping to the top of the forum about “omg I’m SHOCKED that pathfinder will be in Shadowlands.” Really? That’s shocking? Oh, well… it’s still alpha after all… it’s still beta… don’t worry guys next patch it’ll be fixed for sure… I mean next xpac… maybe…

This is true, but blizzard did put efforts towards making some specs better

Sub going from the WORST dps spec ever seen in raiding to number one through the expansion is a pretty good effort in making specs relevant incata.

My argument is that previously blizzard did more for balance passes even if the balancing was terrible. Now if you class is unfun and bottom of the pack you can expect it to stay that way until the next expansion where you have to hope for a rework - which is confirmed not to happen for shadowlands.

Balancing may be better now, but thats a product of making every spec similar.

1 Like

The thing is I am not using hyperbole.

https://raider.io/mythic-plus-rankings/season-bfa-3/all/world/leaderboards-strict#role=all:mode=unique:minMythicLevel=10:maxMythicLevel=14

Every single spec has representation in +10s.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/23

Every single spec has representation in mythic TEP in the last 2 weeks.

My entire point is every spec is viable for nearly all content. The only time things get borked is if you are trying to join a top 1000 raid guild, or pushing +20s.

3 Likes

There’s this other post that covers alternate ways of handling the covenants and switching:

The biggest thing that bugs me is that Blizzard is the one that reaps the benefits of what the “cost” of switching covenants is.

They get either gold (like switching azerite traits) or time.

But the players that stay “loyal” don’t actually get anything, especially in terms of gameplay.

I’d rather forego benefits that players loyal to their covenants would receive - than to pay Blizzard something that only objectively benefits them.

But you know - they were happy to pull $500k from the Blizzcon esports prize pool on the basis of vague wording, so I’m not surprised.

I’m just surprised that so many people defend the system that still only benefits the company - rather than the player.

2 Likes